Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Can you press charges?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004
Abortion Survivor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Can you press charges?

The other day one of my friends slapped some guy after the guy called him a dumbass and a gay. My friend snapped and went towards him and slapped him not hard not soft. Well now it seems he is gonna press charges and try to get money off this what you guys think you think he can do it? My friend just bitched slapped him dont you think if you wanted to hurt him you would use a fist? stupid people sue for anything these days
Old 12-12-2004
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
i would of slapped him with my *****....if i was gay..
Old 12-12-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
he cant sue him, he can only file a police report and take a warrant for his arrest... thats if the inv. feels theres enough evidence to attempt to get a warrant from the judge/commisioner.

in other words they guy can file a police report, but to be honest with you i dont think anything would happen without some really good evidence.

But theres no way hes gonna get money from it, its not a civil matter, its a criminal matter.

Injen
Old 12-12-2004
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

NoLeadEmSoMuch will become famous soon enoughNoLeadEmSoMuch will become famous soon enough
I know in NJ, so much as saying something offensive to someone else is assault. If I walk up to someone and say "I'll kick your ***", it's technically assault.
Old 12-13-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Michalo187
The other day one of my friends slapped some guy after the guy called him a dumbass and a gay. My friend snapped and went towards him and slapped him not hard not soft. Well now it seems he is gonna press charges and try to get money off this what you guys think you think he can do it? My friend just bitched slapped him dont you think if you wanted to hurt him you would use a fist? stupid people sue for anything these days
What state was it in?

If it was in the People's Republic of California, he might have a shot at some money, but even then, the chances are slim to none. the courts are backed up forever, and the slap-ee could bitch about "pain and suffering," but your friend could just say that he was commiting a verbal hate crime before he did anything.

Previous poster is right hoever. first, in order for there to even BE a civil issue, you have to have a criminal matter / police report / conviction first. The cops have bigger fish to fry, so I would say he's in the clear unless there was like significant beating or whatever.

let us know how it goes.
Old 02-05-2005
Registered!!

Mike04Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
that dude is going to have a hard time getting any money or any **** from it. if it was just a slap in the face, and did not cause any serious injuries to which required mdeical attention,..it will be very hard for him to sue if he wanted too. the most he could do is press charges for like,...assault...under texas law anyways,..
Old 02-05-2005
Don't Listen To What Anyone Says, It's Ok To Be Jealous

DrivenConcepts should not be trusted
that would be soooo funny if he went to court with a neck brace and said the slapper gave him whiplash....lol
Old 02-05-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
deny everything, say you never seen the guy before in your life
Old 02-07-2005
"You leave me in the trenches taking Grenades, John"

Stachmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO
deny everything, say you never seen the guy before in your life
haha...go for it!