Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Got out of a Sound Ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Got out of a Sound Ticket...

So I was coming home from work the other day (I work for the local government, we have uniform that say so). So I'm coming my normal route, which happens to go through some subsidized housing (a.k.a projects). I come across the top of a hill, and there sits the motorcycle cop, and patrol car writing up a report. I had my windows down, and my sunroof open, and my radio was at a moderate level, not really loud. I had the sub off, as I was listening to some country music, trying to relax as I had a headache. So he motions for me to pull over next to him, and I tell him hold on a second, as I had to wait on a vehicle that was coming (2-way stop). So, after the other vehicle turns with no signal, I pull up beside him. He has his window down and asks me, "Do you know what the fine for loud music is?" I tell him "Yes, $77 and a one hour class listening to classical music." He then asks "Oh, so you've had one before?" My reply "Yes sir." He then says, in a rather smart *** tone, "Pull over in front of me, you're about to get another one." Me: "Ok." So I pull in front of him, and he turns on the blues. So I'm sitting there, get my license and insurance card out as he's standing outside his car calling in my plates. He walks up to the window, and says "Let me get your license and insurance card." So I hand them to him. He then says "Where you coming from?" Me: "Work." Him"Where you work at?" Me: "City Hall." Him "What do you do?" Me: "I work in the finance department." He then starts talking, trying to be all friendly. He's about to walk to his car when I stop him, and say ""Can I ask you a few questions first?" He obliges, and I start on him. I ask this "Sir, aren't you supposed to have your hat on, as it's part of your uniform, and you have to have on your complete uniform when writing a ticket. (He reaches up and realizes he forgot) Also, I did get a ticket for this before, and got out of said ticket. What did you use to meter my radio?" Him My ears." I then continue with my questioning (as I used stuff from defending myself from my previous ticket against him) "Sir, you do realize that that is not a reliable tool, being as every human ear is not identical, and do not hear the same frequencies or have the same hearing capabilities correct? (He's just nodding at this point) Another question I have is where was I when you first heard my radio?" Him "Right up there (pointing)." I then continue "How far, in feet is that?" He starts with the umm uhh routine. I then ask him "Where is the exact place, from your partol car's door, that is 100 feet from it?" Again, umm uhh... Me: "So, you do not know the exact location of 100 feet, as the ordinance states, is from your patrol car, nor it's location in relation to where I was when you heard my radio first?" At this point he hands me my license and says this "Man, you work for the city, you know how hard we work every day, and you and I both know we don't want to do more work than we have to. We're sitting here writing a report, and 3 cars have already came by with radio's much louder than yours (fatal mistake here). Please, turn it down and go home and have a nice day." I found it funny that with a few simple questions I talked my way out of a ticket. I'm also suprised I even had the ***** to do that, but I was already pissed from having a bad day at work, and didn't care at that point. It may have had something to do with my having on my work shirt still, or it may have had to do with my questioning. Regardless, I got out of a ticket, and was really suprised at my own stupidity and ballsiness, so I figured I'd share.
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

Atticus is an unknown quantity at this point
owned
Old 11-01-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

shmik1 has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
$77 and a one hour class listening to classical music
wtf? so they push classical music on you if you listen to ur stereo too loud, damn, im'a have to keep classical music in the car and if i see a cop i'll just blast that :P

thats awesome dude, u made him feel dumb so he didnt want to be around you anymore
Old 11-01-2004
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
wtf... classical music?!?!?!?!?11one?

classical is about the only thing that i ever turn up above like... 8 ($100 sony xplod.. so thats not at all loud)... so what if i got pulled over for listining to classical.. would they make me listen to hiphop or death metal at the class... and if it was my second ticket could i then sue the state for getting me "hooked on classical music"?

i am so amazed by this its not even funny
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
takumi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
I then ask him "Where is the exact place, from your partol car's door, that is 100 feet from it?" Again, umm uhh... Me: "So, you do not know the exact location of 100 feet, as the ordinance states, is from your patrol car
Hmm, what does that mean?
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

bakablo is an unknown quantity at this point
very owned... great job.. im gonna try using that sometime...
Old 11-01-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Takumi
Hmm, what does that mean?
The ordinance here states that if a cop "hears" your radio at a distance of greater than 100 feet they have grounds to issue you a ticket.

Also, my first one, I was listening to some Michael Bolton (I don't like it, but I was trying something for frequency tuning, and wanted to hear what it sounded like going down the road, with road and wind noise.) I laughed when they told me that I may have to listen to classical music, being as that's sort of what I was listening to when I got pulled over.
Old 11-01-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
wow too good
Old 11-02-2004
Registered!!

HondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of lightHondaSales is a glorious beacon of light
sweet
Old 11-10-2004
Registered!!

exclusive_vtec will become famous soon enough
niceeeeeee u owned him ima try that some time too
Old 11-11-2004
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
nicely owned

something similar happened to me when lady pulled me over for playing music moderdately and writes it down as "within 50 feet" when she actually pulled me over while i was behind her (less than 15 feet) and got behind me then flashes. what makes it even better is she was bitching about the bass, not the volume level
Old 11-11-2004
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
dude, what happens if you play Classical music too loud? they make u listen to rap music? 'cause I drive around with my classical music on all the time..
Old 11-12-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Wow... this is interesting. Nice work.

I wouldn't have the guts to talk my way out of a ticket, I wouldn't know what to say.
Old 11-12-2004
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
OWN3D !....haha, dumb cops
Old 11-12-2004
Since 2002 Baby!

chicohonda02 has a spectacular aura aboutchicohonda02 has a spectacular aura about
way to work the system
Old 11-12-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Well, I kinda wasn't worried either way. I work for the government, and am also good friends with one of the investigators. He's already dropped about 10 tickets for me.
Old 11-12-2004
Registered!!

Civman500 is an unknown quantity at this point
way to own him, im gonna use those lines if that happens to me.
Old 11-13-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
ROFL thats awesome. great job man

i gave you some positve rep for that

i find it hilarious they make you listen to classical music