Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

Cop Stole my License

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diemos is an unknown quantity at this point
Cop Stole my License

Dominos Delivery Experiance

Sunday Night: Driving on a street, see some road flares continue the speed limit. Then I see some people with lite-up cones flagging at me. Ah whatever... continue the speed limit passed the cones.

Monday Night: Same street, driving by same cones, same cops. They jump infront of my car this time. Ah wtf, I roll down my window.

Cop: This your car?
Me: Yes.
Cop: You come by here last night?
Me: No, this is my first night driving.
Cop: Let me have your license.
Me: *hands license*
Cop: I saw you speeding past here yesterday, I am going to go ask your Boss tonite if you were working last night. If you were I'm gonna write you a ticket for speeding and lieing to a police officer.
Cop: I'm keeping this.
Me: No you are not, give it back. I need it to drive.
Cop: I'm keeping this.
Me: Give it back, whats your name? Whats your number?
Cop: *walks off continues to flag traffic*
Me: o O (ahhh **** I got to deliver this ****ing pizza, I'll come back)
Me: *15 minutes later* WTF! They are gone!?!?!

Later that night I went to the local station and told them what happened. They said they couldn't help me if I didn't have a name or a number (go figure). Well evidently the church has his name on record, but the guy who is the record keeper isen't there until tommarow. Is this allowed to happen? Or can I get this **** in trouble.
Old 02-17-2004
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
holy ****...that's crazy. I remember having to hand my licence to some doorknob at the US border and then having him ask me to drive my car over to some area until they checked it out...The guy looked at me...and asked me if I was the one driving the car!! I was alone!

Keep us posted Diemos, that's just not right.
Old 02-17-2004
7thgens other Official Five O'

AZ2K1Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I dunno man...

Generally, if something is happening that requires traffic control to be done by an officer then the posted speed limit is probably too fast but...

Ive never heard/seen this happen before unless DUI was involved.

Keep us posted on what happens
Old 02-17-2004
Registered!!

Monikasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats mucked up dude. Thats why po pos suck! I have had plenty of bad experiences with po pos, but none as awkward as this. Luckily you will not get a ticket for not having your license if you get pulled over, but you will have to explain this story once more. Good luck and give that **** a good *** whoopin' if at all possible!
Old 02-17-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
WTF, he took your license? He cant do that, how the **** does he expect you to drive? I would've stayed there and kept asking for his name + padge number. If there was a cop car there you should've wrote down the license plate and car #. I swear man, cops think they fcukin own the whole town. Reading stories like this makes me hate'em even more. It really gives the very few and rare good cops, bad names.
Old 02-17-2004
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
We got AZ2K1Civic's lyrics on this post, now I'm anxious to hear what Injen and Narc have to say about it.
Old 02-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
WTF??? are you sure it was a police officer??? was it just flares in the road and no police cars? i dont understand why this would happen. he cant take your license away for speeding, officers dont even do that. the state you live in revokes your license. if anything the officer confiscates your license and enters it into that depts. property unit. i would ask to speak to internal affairs or some supervisor over that area. something isnt right in this situation.

Def. keep us posted

Injen
Old 02-17-2004
Bobaganoosh!

Originally posted by injencivic
i would ask to speak to internal affairs or some supervisor over that area.

My uncle in I.A in Toronto.
Old 02-17-2004
Registered!!

I went back to the place a few minutes ago after replying to this. The one officer was mad and yelling. There were two, the other officer didn't know that the first one had taken my license. When I told him that I could read his facial expression that he knew it wasn't right. In fact, he told the other officer that it would be a good idea to give me my license back. Power trippin cops sux. If anyone has any further questions. Go ahead ask away.

- Diemos
Old 02-18-2004
local 7thgen rugger!

shawnskee22 is an unknown quantity at this point
that blows man. i would be tryin everything i could think of to get that s.o.b. in some serious trouble. i dont have anything against cops until they start acting like jackasses like this guy.
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

Narc is an unknown quantity at this point
Im a little confused, Let me see if I understand this.....
On Sunday you drive into that area and see them flagging you, but you continue on without stoppin. And the officer remembers you the next night.

On Monday he flags you and you do stop, and he gets into you. You lie to him but he's sure he remembers you as you were speeding and did not stop for police when directed to. So he takes your licence, and before he gets a chance to finish whatever he needs to do (finish clearing traffic, run NCIC checks, veh checks, charges, etc) you just up and leave? He didnt tell you to leave, but you figure you are special in that you: 1.really shudnt have to stop for the police when they flag you, 2.can leave whenever you feel like it.

Please explain this to me.....it just doesnt make any sense to me.
Old 02-18-2004
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
^^^ i never thought of it that way.

Injen
Old 02-19-2004
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
once again the police protect and serve
Old 02-19-2004
7thgens other Official Five O'

AZ2K1Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I didnt look at it like that either...whats up with that?
Old 02-19-2004
Registered!!

Monikasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Well you would think the po po would say stay there if he still needed to talk to him, right? And maybe the cop wasnt flaggin him down to stop the night before. They were probably just waving to slow down. So maybe you were at fault for not slowing down and not telling the truth but the po po still should not have taken the damn license. Geez! Can't other peeps see this?
Old 02-19-2004
But it's a Dry Heat

l00pb4k is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Narc
Im a little confused, Let me see if I understand this.....
On Sunday you drive into that area and see them flagging you, but you continue on without stoppin. And the officer remembers you the next night.

On Monday he flags you and you do stop, and he gets into you. You lie to him but he's sure he remembers you as you were speeding and did not stop for police when directed to. So he takes your licence, and before he gets a chance to finish whatever he needs to do (finish clearing traffic, run NCIC checks, veh checks, charges, etc) you just up and leave? He didnt tell you to leave, but you figure you are special in that you: 1.really shudnt have to stop for the police when they flag you, 2.can leave whenever you feel like it.

1) Yes, he should have stopped if the officer flagged him the first night. Although if he did not recognize them as police officers...I sure as hell wouldn't stop. That's how you get car-jacked or murdered. If he was going the posted speed limit, there is no cause to stop unless there is a flagman with a stop sign or a squad car with his lightbar on.
2) He stated the Officer said he was going to keep his license. Not "Stay right there, I am going to run you license" not "Wait right there, I will be back", effectively placing him under arrest.
3) Unless the officer was placing him under arrest, i.e. writing a ticket or ordering him to wait, he has every right to leave. A civilian has every right to continue what they are doing unless the officer instructs otherwise. We are not at an officer's beck and call.
4) Besides the officer's say so, he has no evidence that he was speeding.
5) The officer did not turn his license into the precinct...he just kept it.

Even if the officer does come back at Diemos, he doesn't have any evidence that he was speeding, wrongful confiscation of a valid ID card, and abuse of power. Judge would throw this out in an instant.
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

so whats the word now???

Injen
Old 02-22-2004
Registered!!

Yeah, thats not what happened. Allow me to explain you were right up until the part where I just up and left. He told me to leave, and that I might get my license back. The issue isen't weither or not I did anything wrong. If he wanted to write me at ticket, he should have done so. But he stole my license, something A. Is required for my job and B. Is required for driving. Which is why he stole it.

Originally posted by Narc
1.really shudnt have to stop for the police when they flag you, 2.can leave whenever you feel like it.

Old 02-22-2004
Registered!!

Your sir are 100% correct. I posted this on a few other boards and individuals replied with comments such as "You deserve to get your license taken away for ignoring a cop". As if somehow breaking the law means that a police officer has the right to violate my rights. I went back and demanded my license. He started cussing at me, saying I was a punk *** kid if I wanted to get my license back I would have to get my dad to come get it for me (my father died 3 months ago from cancer). His partner came over and started telling me that I was a liar and that he had been in the service for 24 years what would make him lie about one car on the road blah blah blah. I said calmly, "I am not leaving without my license" and sat down on the sidewalk at which they were doing their traffic signaling. They continued to taunt me, until the second officer ( the one who did not steal my license) realized that the first officer had kept my license. After that realization the second officer begin to convince the first that keeping my license was not in his best interest. The first officer finally came over and threw my license on the ground. I didn't move, and I looked at him then back at the license on the ground. Finally he came over picked it up and gave it to me. Proceeding to yell at me as I turned and walked back to my car and drove off, about how he was going to write me a ticket blah blah blah. Moral of the story, while you may be able to defeat police corruption it still sucks *****.

- Diemos

Originally posted by l00pb4k
1) Yes, he should have stopped if the officer flagged him the first night. Although if he did not recognize them as police officers...I sure as hell wouldn't stop. That's how you get car-jacked or murdered. .
Old 02-29-2004
Registered!!

RyceRacing is an unknown quantity at this point
I would have speed off as soon as i got back in my car to **** them off
but thats the kind of stupid sh^t I do
Old 03-03-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
goddam man, that was a whole lot of hell of trouble u had their. u should report this incident to the court or sumone who can do sumthin about it. dont let cops harass young adults like u. this is why they think they can keep doing.

TAKE LEGAL ACTIONS!
Old 03-06-2004
Type-Race

doctor will become famous soon enoughdoctor will become famous soon enough
holy crap those cops are totally on power trips!! Seriously, take some sort of legal action and take advantage of our judicial system. At the very least report those asses to their supers!!
Old 03-06-2004
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
your drivers license is state property, just like your license plates. if he was going to charge with an offense etc. he could take your physical license and contact you later for charges. just because he has your physical license however does not mean that you cannot drive. if an officer were to run your name/dob through dmv you would still show having a valid drivers license.

however in this case it seems like u ran into a bad apple. it happens unfortunatly.