Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

neons

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buffmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
underbody neons in chicago

i talked to a few cops at my video store and they said it is illegal to have underbody neons because it is "eccesive lighting..." he said you can have them on during the daytime, but not during the nighttime...but he said if you have it during the night time, most chicago cops wont do anything, but the troopers ussualy are strict about this...so yea..all you chicagoans out there that were curious about underbody neons...there ya go
Old 10-06-2003
Registered!!

civicchik331 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question neons

ok so i just installed some blue neons under my car, if i forget to turn them off and a i get pulled over, whats the cop going to do. do i just get a ticket or what?
Old 10-06-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
i heard if the bars are showing then it's a ticket but i don't know if you can have them on though!! Might be different in states!!
Old 10-06-2003
Registered!!

i have blue lights underlights, you can't see the bars and i live in chicago?
Old 10-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
if you can see the tubes then you will more then likely get a ticket. the best thing to do is contact your local dept. and get the specific law for your jurisdiction, cause they vary everywhere. some places they are illegal some they arent period.

Injen
Old 10-07-2003
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
i would still contact your local law enforcement agency to make sure what the law is exactly since it varies everywhere.

Injen
Old 10-07-2003
Registered!!

i am merging this thread with another neon thread that has issues about chicago in it.

Injen
Old 10-27-2003
Registered!!

brodienuchies is an unknown quantity at this point
Not only contact your local, but see if you can get your hands on the actual law in writing. Cops will tell you things that are not even true half the time to make their job easier. I had a cop completely lie to me about neons, saying they were all illegal, when it turns out the opposite.
Old 11-03-2003
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I have blue neons hidden so the tubes don't show. In Illinois, any color neons are against the law, even if the tubes are hidden. First time=warning. After that, it gets much worse.
Old 11-03-2003
Registered!!

thanx for all the info. my tubes are hidden really well so im not worried about that. what happens after the warning
Old 11-03-2003
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Even if the tubes are hidden (mine are), you will still get a ticket for improper lighting. After the warning, you'll get a big fine. And if the cop is really mean, he could get you for impersonating a police car (blue/red neons).

Oh and those washer nozel lights are illegal as well.
Old 11-04-2003
Registered!!

ZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to beholdZapThyCat is a splendid one to behold
Checking a bit on the CHP website, I see that there is absolutely no info on undercar neons... whether they are illegal or not. I see those cool tire lights that blink are, and the windshield washer nozzel lights unless they are white or yellow. interesting....
i called my local police station and they said it was okay... but i'd like to get something in writing
Old 11-05-2003
Registered!!

yeah i have blue lights though, which they say are like emergency car colored lights so yeah ill have to call and see whats up
Old 11-06-2003
Raceway Park Track Tech.

LazyDog01 will become famous soon enoughLazyDog01 will become famous soon enough
all neons are illegal unless car is parked. from what i can understand
Old 11-13-2003
Registered!!

dustin_samuel is an unknown quantity at this point
Like others have said, it differs everywhere. Here in southern CA, they'll knock you for blue, red, or green because they are emergency colors. White, pink, purple or yellow are SUPPOSED to be legal. Whether or not the cop thinks so is up to him. However, I drive with blue washers, blue parking lights, hyperwhites, and bright blue underseat neons; I've never been pulled over.
Old 11-17-2003
Former Sponsor

Circa X is an unknown quantity at this point
here in TX you can have any color as long as the tube doesn't show or there isn't excessive lighting emitting from the car, I.E front rear or side... most cops out here don't care as long at it doesn't show outside the vehicles boundries and the tube is not seen...