Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Turbo kit is now available at TurboDiscounters.com

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alienmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
I know no one probably knows, but I'll ask anyway. Anyone know if the intercooler fits well with the tsunami front bumper? I am so in for the turbo with the intercooler. Haven't read much on turbos, so what other parts will be needed like turbo timer, ect.?
Old 05-05-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by xmeeksx
"The design of a turbo actually makes the car run cleaner, however you are modifying the way your exhaust system works and the smog guys don't always like this. Check with other drivers in VA and see what they went through when they had to test smog."

i can't really check with other drivers in VA since no one has this kit in my area. but it would be nice if you get let me know if you find out whether it will pass or not?
I think VA emissions are the same as CT emissions. All they do for smog is check to make sure you have a catalytic converter, and that your gas cap isn't leaking. As far as emissions, I looked up VA's emissions standards and they haven't changed for the past 10 years. I don't think you will have a problem. The only tests they do are the 15mph and 25mph tests on the dyno. You shouldn't even worry about emissions as long as you have a catalytic converter. If you have an LX, buy a replacement catalytic converter for under the car.
Old 05-05-2003

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by alienmonkey
I know no one probably knows, but I'll ask anyway. Anyone know if the intercooler fits well with the tsunami front bumper? I am so in for the turbo with the intercooler. Haven't read much on turbos, so what other parts will be needed like turbo timer, ect.?
Ask Grey about the Tsunami bumper, he shaved his already to fit one, but he said that he had a lot of room up front anyway. We don't need a big intercooler though. Mine is a 20"W 6"H 3"D core. That's probably bigger than you'll need.

You don't really need a turbo timer if you can stand sitting in your car and letting it run for a few minutes before you shut it off. If you get one though... check out my DIY Maybe you might want to get a boost controller though.
Old 05-05-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
i have an automatic EX and am going to buy the extreme kit. would i need an oil cooler or tranny cooler? and since i know nothing about turbos for the most part, do i have to worry changing any parts (like a 5 speed would perhaps need a new clutch)? and can anyone estimate what 198 hp at the flywheel would be at the wheels? lastly with those rods that came out what would be the highest psi we could run for a daily driver?
Old 05-06-2003
Registered!!

Catalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really niceCatalyst is just really nice
you know, the SFpower turbo kit gave me an extra 67 hp to the wheels, and that was using my stock exhaust.
Old 05-06-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by 18secQuaterMile
i have an automatic EX and am going to buy the extreme kit. would i need an oil cooler or tranny cooler? and since i know nothing about turbos for the most part, do i have to worry changing any parts (like a 5 speed would perhaps need a new clutch)? and can anyone estimate what 198 hp at the flywheel would be at the wheels? lastly with those rods that came out what would be the highest psi we could run for a daily driver?
the better your internals the higher boost your engine can handle. So the 6.5 PSI is on stock internals and safe for a daily driver. With the rodsand pistons and the intake manifold youll be able to run at a higher boost level
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

EM2HK1 is an unknown quantity at this point
do they have any warranties to back there products up?
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

azure is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by EM2HK1
do they have any warranties to back there products up?
I believe it's a 5 year warranty for the manifold and a 1 year warranty for the rest of the parts.
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

TrboDiscounters is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Azure
I believe it's a 5 year warranty for the manifold and a 1 year warranty for the rest of the parts.
Yup, that's correct.
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

EM2HK1 is an unknown quantity at this point
oh nice!, i might look into it then. thanks for the info
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
I am almost sold...

Turbo Discounters, sorry about asking so many questions. Thanks for your very detailed replies/answers, very much appreciated Also, let me apologize as I will be posting this same question in a few other threads as I don't know which ones you check frequently. I really want this final question answered as it is the last one to convince me to get your Turbo Kit. Ok, here's my question...

What is the expected life expectancy of the Garrett T25BB turbo given the following info?

1) Car driven/pushed moderately.

2) Engine never pushed beyond redline (also no power-shifting), basically always shiting a few hundred rpm's below redline. If pushed, only done so when outside temp is less than 85 degrees.

3) Car driving environment = high heat (105+ degrees)

4) Avg. per day car mileage = 100 miles

I know, not the best turbo climate situation, but I spend a lot of time in either Cali, Nevada, or AZ (half of the year I'm in AZ and Nevada the other half in Cali). I like the fact that the T25BB will have less lag than a T3, but I'm worried that it will still run rather hot in the higher rpms vs. a T3, thus a shortened lifespan. Especially since half the year I'm in states where temps are well over 100 degrees. I know the ballbearing increases durability, but given my situation what do you think the life expectancy of this turbo will be for me? I don't want to invest this much money in something that could very well last me very little (i.e., less than 50,000 miles). It would be great if it lasted the whole life of my car provided I don't push it too often (especially during hot weather), well thanks in advance. btw good job on your kit, I really like all the parts, especially the fuel system and lcd (very nice) I just hope I can get it and that my situation doesn't mean forget it, I'll never qualify for turbo.
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

Turbo Discounters, shoot almost forgot to ask. Will your kit pass emissions (not visual, but actual smog test)?
Old 05-09-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
Re: I am almost sold...

Originally posted by NorrinRadd

2) Engine never pushed beyond redline (also no power-shifting), basically always shiting a few hundred rpm's below redline.
LOL, i and everyone else who reads this know you meant "shifting a few hundred rpm's below redline" but reading what you wrote just made me laugh.
Old 05-09-2003
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
lol, poor kid
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

Re: Re: I am almost sold...

Originally posted by 18secQuaterMile
LOL, i and everyone else who reads this know you meant "shifting a few hundred rpm's below redline" but reading what you wrote just made me laugh.
Yeah, after reading it again in retrospect I realized the lunacy I just posted. Man, I'm just so paranoid about the turbo life, that was just trying to make doubly clear I wouldn't be pushing the engine. So in the end just ended sounding redundant, plus I posted it on several threads. Oh well, that's price I pay for being too paranoid to realize what I'm saying. I admit though it was definite funny and stupid of me
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

Snoop88 is an unknown quantity at this point
How much of a difference does adding an exhaust make on a turbo'd civic
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

Snoop88 is an unknown quantity at this point
How much of a difference does adding an exhaust make on a turbo'd civic
Old 05-09-2003
Registered!!

MatrixShark is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you see that? I think it just flew right over his head...
Old 05-14-2003
Registered!!

TrboDiscounters is an unknown quantity at this point
To avoid cross posting, dyno results posted in original TurboDiscounters.com thread:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...76#post1087076