Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

EM2 K20 Swap (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019
Click Here

Received 1,151 Likes on 899 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
EM2 K20 Swap (Help)

(I apologize in advance if there is a thread on this that I missed)

Hey guys, just looking for someone who has done a k20 swap on a 7th-gen in the past, just so I can pick their brain as to what to look out for. I'm embarking on my first engine swap and have decided to swap a k20a2 into my '01 EM2 (5-spd). I already bought the engine and trans, but nothing else to this point. I understand that there are sites that explain things very well, though I personally find it much easier physically corresponding with someone who has the information when I need it, rather than referring to a lifeless site that may get me confused.

I appreciate any input.
Old 01-03-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: EM2 K20 Swap (Help)

I have a K20a2 in my '02 EX. Feel free to ask questions.
Old 01-04-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

You may have problems with the axle splines not working. I think the rsx base model axles will fit the transmission and the em2 knuckles. but the type-s or si-r axles will not work. Double check with Brotato though.
You could also five lug swap and keep the axles.

yOu'll also obviously need the ecu and wiring harness, some sort of exhaust system, and possibly a larger fuel pump as the k series engines run larger injectors.
Old 01-04-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

have you read through the stickies in this section?
Old 01-04-2019
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mac25
I think the rsx base model axles will fit the transmission and the em2 knuckles. but the type-s or si-r axles will not work. Double check with Brotato though.
You could also five lug swap and keep the axles.
Correct. I used Si axles so I could stay four lug but base RSX should work too.

Originally Posted by mac25
yOu'll also obviously need the ecu and wiring harness, some sort of exhaust system, and possibly a larger fuel pump as the k series engines run larger injectors.
I used the RSX type S ECU and engine harness with an adapter harness so it all plugged into the body harness inside.
I pieced together a midpipe so I could reuse my Magnaflow catback exhaust.
I never upgraded the fuel pump and haven't had issues. Almost 40k miles on it already.

As sdaidoji said there are stickies with lots of info already. But as long as you aren't asking questions like "What do I all need?" or "How do I do it?" I'm more than happy to help.
Old 08-05-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stephane Daigle is an unknown quantity at this point

you need base subframe and axles from rsx
Old 08-05-2019
Registered!!

Stephane Daigle is an unknown quantity at this point

im looking for motor mounts for my em2 kswap used
Old 08-08-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Quick question, why do we have to use the rsx sub frame?
is it because the k20/24 wont fit using the sub frame or is it because no one has made mounts to accommodate the civic sub frame?
Any pictures would be great.
BTW i may be doing a swap this winter....
Old 08-08-2019
Super Moderator

The engine/transmission layout is reversed with the K series engine (engine on passenger side, trans on driver side). Front and rear engine mounts are nowhere close and would almost certainly interfere with the exhaust. EP3/RSX subframe is a bolt on part so it's much easier and cheaper to just swap it.

If you get a set of engine mounts from Hasport for a K swapped EM2 it requires an EP3/RSX subframe. Front and rear mounts are OEM replacements for those cars as well.
Old 08-08-2019
Registered!!

piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

10-4
I understand that the engine mounts where way off, i just didn't know if the sub frame would work with the exhaust.
I mean, mounts can always be re-welded....of course that can be said of exhaust as well...

Thanks for the input
Old 08-09-2019
Super Moderator

I just happen to have my engine out at the moment. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea where the front and rear mounts are located as well as the exhaust down pipe. I don't have the original subframe to compare with anymore. Both front and rear mounts bolt to the engine/trans right where they meet.

Old 08-09-2019
Registered!!

awesome!
This helps out a lot!!!
looks like both mounts are offset 4-5 inches from the original locations.
If i end up doing a Kswap, i'll end up making my own mounts.
Old 08-09-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Just looked at the prices for the swap brackets, yea a used set would be preferable, you could buy an entire EM2 with a blown head gasket for the cost of those mounts.
Old 11-04-2019
Registered!!

Miles Arthur is an unknown quantity at this point

[font][font][CITA = BrotatoChip; 4756124] Tengo un K20a2 en mi '02 EX. [/font][font]Siéntase libre de hacer preguntas. [/ QUOTE][/font][/font]
[font][font]HI I'm interested in make a swap I have a em2 5 speed manual transmission, it's the d17 a without vtec honestly I want a K20 but I'm new so can you guide me about what to do first and advices [/font][/font]
Old 11-04-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Go buy an rsx
Old 11-05-2019
Super Moderator

Read through the stickies in this section. If you're serious you need to do a lot of research first.
Old 04-03-2020
Registered!!

edspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going through this process myself... I have a k24 engine off of a 04 tsx. Not sure yet on the specific differences in fitment.
Old 04-06-2020
Super Moderator

There basically aren't any differences in fitment. The K20 and K24 mount the same, the K24 is just 19 mm taller. Still fits under the hood without any issue.
Old 04-15-2020
Registered!!

GroovyJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: EM2 K20 Swap (Help)

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Correct. I used Si axles so I could stay four lug but base RSX should work too.

I used the RSX type S ECU and engine harness with an adapter harness so it all plugged into the body harness inside.
I pieced together a midpipe so I could reuse my Magnaflow catback exhaust.
I never upgraded the fuel pump and haven't had issues. Almost 40k miles on it already.

As sdaidoji said there are stickies with lots of info already. But as long as you aren't asking questions like "What do I all need?" or "How do I do it?" I'm more than happy to help.
I Dont Have An RSX ECU, I Have ALMOST Everything Else For My K20A. I Still Need Clutch, Flywheel, Wiring Harness (I Do Have Conversion Adapter), Radiator/W Fans, RSX Subframe... Not Sure If I Need RSX Steering Rack And As For The ECU, Do I NEED An RSX One Or Can I Send My Stock EM2 ECU To Hondata???
Old 04-15-2020
Click Here

FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

You’ll need a k-series ecu, presumably from an ITR if you’re talking about the JDM K20A.

When I was researching the K20 swap for my EM2, I don't remember reading about the steering rack being changed, so I'm pretty sure the stock one stays. Double-check with BrotatoChip on that one because he did do it.

Looking back on this thread really makes me wish I had K20 swapped

Last edited by FRSam; 04-15-2020 at 11:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GroovyJay (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020
Super Moderator

What radiator are you using? I tried an RSX one but couldn't get it to fit, ended up using an EP3 radiator and only had to trim the plastic trim cover above it a little.

Stock steering rack. If you're keeping power steering you will use the RSX power steering lines. The high pressure line fits without issue, I remember having to do some custom stuff to get the low pressure line to work. I have since done an EPS swap so I no longer have to worry about power steering fluid.

As for Kpro you have to use a certain ECU. Below is what Hondata says is compatible. If you use an ECU that doesn't match your engine harness you may have to do some wiring changes. Keep in mind the 05-06 Type S ECU cannot get Kpro. No matter what ECU you use you can upload a K20A calibration on it to run your engine, you just have to figure out the differences in wiring.
GroovyJay (04-16-2020)
Old 04-20-2020
Registered!!

So I got the Civic Si k20a engine, based on that chart My BEST option would be the PNF ECU? Or are they all compatible... I called Hondata but Due to Covid-19 they aren't accepting orders and calls.
Old 04-20-2020
Click Here

Oh, you have the K20A3. That's where I was confused. PNF would be correct (but any k-series ECU should work), and I'm pretty sure (going off memory here) that you just need to go to a dealership to get the ECU reflashed.

If you use an ECU from the engine, I don't think you need to use Hondata at all. Don't quote me on that; keep in mind I'm going off memory from something I was researching over a year ago.
GroovyJay (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020
Registered!!

Thanks Chez, Also I bought the Level 4 Ktuned Kswap package and one of the things included was a K Pro tune and all I needed was to send in My ECU with the form they gave me to Hondata... Just didn't know what ECU was compatible for both my engine and K Pro Because I Know for a fact that the PRB-A13 to PRB-A16 ECU's form the RSX-S are NOT K Pro compatible.
Old 04-20-2020
Click Here

I can't remember what ECU I had (I traded my engine/trans/mounts/ECU for a different car a few months later) but I think it was from an EP3. I wasn't using K-Pro though because I couldn't afford it lol
GroovyJay (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020
Registered!!

I'm paying it with credit, LMAO... But I'm paying off my credit with stock money
Old 04-21-2020
Super Moderator

If you have a K20a3 from a US Civic Si and a matching engine harness then the PNF ECU would be the easiest. You will have to either take the car to Honda to have the keys programmed in or disable the immobilizer in Kpro before the car will start.
GroovyJay (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020
Registered!!

I Got the ECU but Hondata is closed lmao. I AM wondering though if I need an RSX shifter or can I Keep my EM2 one
Old 04-26-2020
Click Here

Originally Posted by GroovyJay
I Got the ECU but Hondata is closed lmao. I AM wondering though if I need an RSX shifter or can I Keep my EM2 one
RSX shifter is required.

The attached PDF documents the entire swap really well. This is a good reference for any questions you'll have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
K20 Swap Xproductionz (6).pdf (1.02 MB, 733 views)
GroovyJay (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
RSX shifter is required.
No it isn't. I've been using the stock EM2 shifter with an RSX Type S 6 speed transmission without any issues. RSX cables are needed but not the shifter itself.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrotatoChip:
Colin42 (04-27-2020), GroovyJay (04-27-2020)

Quick Reply: EM2 K20 Swap (Help)