Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

EM2 K20 Swap (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: EM2 K20 Swap (Help)

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
No it isn't. I've been using the stock EM2 shifter with an RSX Type S 6 speed transmission without any issues. RSX cables are needed but not the shifter itself.
My bad, I misread the list thinking it was the entire assembly

Edit: The list I was looking at actually says it requires the shifter assembly but you've done it so obviously you know.
The following users liked this post:
GroovyJay (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GroovyJay is an unknown quantity at this point

reverse lock out not needed ?
Old 04-27-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Just remember to not shift into reverse unless stopped
GroovyJay (04-27-2020)
Old 04-28-2020
Registered!!

well guys its finally coming together appreciate all of your help, I finally have all the parts! I Will send in my ECU as soon as they open at HONDATA hopefully soon. My Last question that just seems impossible to find is do you guys know the thread pattern of the OEM bolts in the engine bay, Idk if they are 10x1.25 or 10x1.50? I Really Appreciate all of your Communication, was extremely helpful!
Old 04-29-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Found this on the Honda-tech forum:

M6-1.0 --- common (most of our 10mm head bolts)
M8-1.25 -- common (probably most of our 12mm head bolts)
M10-1.25 - some headbolts) (probably most of our 14mm head bolts)
M11-1.25 - freakshow timing belt tensioner on H/F engines. 7/16-20 is VERY close.
M11x1.5 -- some headbolts)
M12x1.0 -- flywheel bolts + shift fork ball spring bolts)
M12-1.25 - common (probably most of our 17mm head bolts)
M12-1.5 -- lugnuts)
M14-1.25 - crank bolt?)
M14-1.5 -- oil pan drain plug. 19mm head bolt that connects rear trans bracket to trans
M16-???
M20x1.0 -- 10mm allen bolt
M20x1.5 (oil filter threads????)
M22x??? d-series countershaft nut
M28x1.5 - 14mm allen bolt
GroovyJay (04-30-2020)
Old 05-09-2020
Registered!!

Hey Guys, So I got the ESK3 Hasport Mounts, And Ive seen some videos and they usually have instructions included.. Mine did not does anyone have any information they can spare?
Old 05-09-2020

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Go to the manufacturer's website?
Old 05-10-2020
Registered!!

I did it was not much help, I installed the trans and engine mounts by just matching holes lol
but I have one more mount im assuming it mounts to the sub frame
Old 05-11-2020
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Pic? If you figured out the driver and passenger side mounts the last one should be for the front into the subframe mount.
GroovyJay (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020
Registered!!

I did figure out the mounts, although I did not know the em2 was one of the most difficult swaps in terms of information ...
what did y'all do about the gauge cluster since obviously its gonna be redlining higher ?
Old 05-21-2020

I think the RSX cluster swaps in, not sure if any wires need to be changed
Old 05-22-2020
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GroovyJay
I did not know the em2 was one of the most difficult swaps in terms of information ...
What are you talking about, there is tons of information. There's a .PDF showing you how to swap along with multiple threads of different forums.

what did y'all do about the gauge cluster since obviously its gonna be redlining higher ?
You don't have to do anything really. The stock cluster will still go up to 8k you just won't see where redline is. The RSX cluster can be swapped in but it has different wiring/connectors, different mounting points, and the trim piece to make it look original won't fit either. I kept the stock one for a while, after maybe a year I swapped to the RSX cluster, now I want to create a custom LCD screen to use.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrotatoChip:
GroovyJay (05-23-2020), gspd.5502 (06-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2020
Registered!!

What are you talking about, there is tons of information. There's a .PDF showing you how to swap along with multiple threads of different forums.

You don't have to do anything really. The stock cluster will still go up to 8k you just won't see where redline is. The RSX cluster can be swapped in but it has different wiring/connectors, different mounting points, and the trim piece to make it look original won't fit either. I kept the stock one for a while, after maybe a year I swapped to the RSX cluster, now I want to create a custom LCD screen to use.
I Read Through the PDF And Im Not very savvy with with my car or swaps to know immediately where anything is supposed to go is supposed to go, But I got as far as I did I have my engine in.. but not married to the tranny Yet. The tranny mount is on the tranny, the bracket for it like shown in the PDF on pages 14-15 are identical to mine as well as the passenger side where the engine is, is already mounted (HASPORT). It explains the rear mount on page 17 but I AM confused as to how it should fit. IDK yet because my tranny isn't in but I just feel its too low unless im missing a bracket or if the bracket from the OLD subframe is supposed to transfer to the new one.

Old 05-27-2020
Super Moderator

I can't find a good picture but here's what the rear mount looks like, it consists of two pieces.

Reference number 6 bolts onto the engine/trans. Bolt number 11 goes through a hole on the transmission end of the block just above where the transmission mounts. The two bolts with reference 12 bolt into the transmission on the diff section. The second piece is reference number 2, it bolts to the subframe and then a single bolt attaches it to the other mount piece. The mount kit only comes with reference piece number 2. It is an OEM replacement piece that is stiffer. I couldn't stand how much vibration there was in the cabin after my swap so I removed the front and rear mounts and replaced them with stock RSX ones.
GroovyJay (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020
Registered!!

Wow Thanks! The Best Help. That Makes A lot More Sense. You Think That 6 piece from the non Si subframe is the same?
Old 06-01-2020
Super Moderator

Wow Thanks! The Best Help. That Makes A lot More Sense. You Think That 6 piece from the non Si subframe is the same?
No. The Si is the only 7th gen Civic that has the K series in it. The Si or RSX are your only options here.
Old 07-05-2020
Registered!!

Brian8900 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a K20a2 in my '02 EX. Feel free to ask questions.
What did you do about the fan switch? Do I reuse the d17 switch and wire the fans to that and then run a wire to the fuse box?
Old 07-13-2020
Super Moderator

I used the EP3 radiator with the fan switch in the bottom. I wired one side to ground and the other to the fuse box. I don't see any mention in the Xproductionz.pdf, I must have read that somewhere on this site.
Old 07-26-2020
Registered!!

Santiago Reyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a K20a2 in my '02 EX. Feel free to ask questions.
what ecu and harness did you use can i just use a regular rsx ecu and harness?
Old 07-27-2020
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

I used an experimental ecu setup...
07 Element MT with a special harness adapter.
it had the Ktuner board wired into the ECU.
Old 07-31-2020
Super Moderator

I used RSX type S ECU and matching harness.
Old 08-09-2020
Registered!!

Rednex13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m sure you guys have been asked this a lot but I just purchased an 04 RSX type S to use as a donor for my swap with my EM2. Everything up front is still in tact but I’m unsure what harness I’d need to get to make it as easy as possible. All the online stores want to sell you the world and I’m pretty sure I don’t think I need a 4K purchase when I want a basic swap for now.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2020
Click Here

FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Literally the comment before yours.
Old 08-09-2020
Registered!!

I seen that but I’m just wondering if I need to purchase one from hybrid to hook up to everything in my dash. I guess that would be like a conversion harness.
Old 08-09-2020
Registered!!

I know it might be a dumb question but I’m used to working on heavy equipment and my buddy that is helping me is a military mechanic so it’s a bit different than a tank!
Old 08-09-2020
Click Here

It'd certainly make the process easier. I'd do it for the sake of a couple hundred bucks. Small number when considering the total budget.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 08-10-2020
Super Moderator

You can either use a conversion harness or repin a connector. It's all specified in the .pdf Chezboat posted.
Old 06-26-2021
Registered!!

gspd.5502 is an unknown quantity at this point

​​​​​​
The WireWhere.com cluster conversion might be a good option.
Old 06-26-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Rednex13
I seen that but I’m just wondering if I need to purchase one from hybrid to hook up to everything in my dash. I guess that would be like a conversion harness.

Or you could save a couple bucks and use this harness...
Old 06-26-2021
Registered!!

The WireWhere.com LCD gauge conversion would be a good option. If you're running Kpro B4 that is.