Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Swapping K series into 03 EX

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013
New owner 7th Gen.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bs03EXcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Swapping K series into 03 EX

Hello, 1st post, 1st Honda, 1st everything performance wise.

I want to swap the engine to a K series...current stock engine has more $$$ worth of repairs then value.

I'm not rich and would like to work on my Honda at the current economy's pace....my question is:

If I purchase and have a K(K20A vs K20A3) series engine put in, with corresponding brakes, can I use the stock 5 speed that's in my car now(until I can afford a 6 speed)?

Model: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe EX 5 speed Manual

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swapping K series into 03 EX

Nobody else has replied yet?
Search around, you might find more helpful information from people that have done similar swaps.

Originally Posted by Bs03EXcoupe
can I use the stock 5 speed that's in my car now(until I can afford a 6 speed)?
I believe that's a no, because of different bellhousing bolt patterns.

EDIT: I should have stopped here, but I didn't......
I'm not rich and ....

I want to swap the engine to a K series...

If I purchase and have a K(K20A vs K20A3) series engine put in, with corresponding brakes....
Add up what you think it might cost, then double or triple it. Seriously. You will pay pay pay if you plan to have a shop do the work.

current stock engine has more $$$ worth of repairs then value.
I think that if you thought you could afford a swap, then you can easily afford to fix the engine in there now.

You can probably buy a decent used engine for $500 and drop it right in.

(I really didn't intend to sound pessimistic. Repower swaps are doable, just not very cheap.)

JMHO, YMMV.
Old 09-26-2013
I have the OEM version of weight reduction. DX

EŽik will become famous soon enoughEŽik will become famous soon enough

The D series tranny will not work with a K series engine. Seeing as your on a budget, and you want a K, then look for a whole engine/tranny from either a base RSX or an EP3. But you will also have to do a lot more than buy the engine.

- subframe
- wiring
- exhaust
etc etc

Your probably best to just look for a lower mileage D series, and drop that in. (like was previously stated)
Old 09-26-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

An estimate for a K swap into an EM2 used to be around $6k

Prices haven't dropped too much for all the stuff you need, but if you shop around, you can prolly pull it off for $3-4000

However, I'm hopping on the bandwagon and gonna say you can find another D17 for prolly $5-700.

That said, what exactly is wrong with your current engine?
Old 10-05-2013
Registered!!

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bs03EXcoupe
Hello, 1st post, 1st Honda, 1st everything performance wise.

I want to swap the engine to a K series...current stock engine has more $$$ worth of repairs then value.

I'm not rich and would like to work on my Honda at the current economy's pace....my question is:

If I purchase and have a K(K20A vs K20A3) series engine put in, with corresponding brakes, can I use the stock 5 speed that's in my car now(until I can afford a 6 speed)?

Model: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe EX 5 speed Manual

Thanks in advance.

The 5 speed trans will NOT, in any way fit a K20

Nor will the shifter cables, radiator, ECU, subframe, axles, throttle cable, PS, AC exhaust, header, motor mounts, clutch cable, fuel pump, fuel lines

Other than that - the swap is piece of cake....

And yeah..., it is well worth it

My suggestion, save yer $ up and make it happen - guarantee you'll like the results

Ghost
Old 05-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light

is it possible to do k-swap with in a $3000 budget? Considering if you do the labor yourself? What is the avg time the car has to be in the garage until ur done (i know some people r better mechanics than others)
Old 05-16-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Erf_Em2
is it possible to do k-swap with in a $3000 budget? Considering if you do the labor yourself? What is the avg time the car has to be in the garage until ur done (i know some people r better mechanics than others)
Don't revive old threads for nothing.