Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

D17A1 Build F/I Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alexander1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
D17A1 Build F/I Help

Hey guys i am new to this forum and i have read tons of "builds" for a d17a1. None have really answered my questions. I am a diesel mechanic and i have built engines before and i would like to know if you all can give me your input on how to build a d17a1. i read a really good write up with pistons and all but he did not say if he kept the A1 head or swapped to a A2 and what cams and a few minor details.Ii will be using a stock cummins turbo off of a 5.9 I-6 and a small turbo to spool that up most likely or a different set up. Any input is appreciated thank you.
Old 01-03-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: D17A1 Build F/I Help

look for crower cams stage 2 or 3 (not sure which were for turbo) - they are made for the D17A2 if i am not mistaken.
Old 01-04-2013
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

it can be a lot easier to tune the boost map for the civic if it does not have vtec. so your stock head would work great. but that's if you just want boost, if you're looking at building heads then do what sdaidji said with the crowers.
Old 01-04-2013
Registered!!

Yes i want to keep all A1 stuff no vtec. i can adapt to the hondata software and tune. but i was wondering if you all know what cams are available. i am just having trouble finding stuff and i was seeing if anybody knows something that isnt online and any advice.
Old 01-04-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
look for crower cams stage 2 or 3 (not sure which were for turbo) - they are made for the D17A2 if i am not mistaken.
All of crower's cams are made for the -a2. Stage 1 is for both turbo and n/a, Stage 2 have a separate turbo and n/a application, and stage 3 is designed for n/a, but Andy used the stage 3 with his 31psi turbo setup (489whp, 360ft-lbs torque; D17A1 bottom with an -a2 head)
Old 01-04-2013
Registered!!

Do you know what pistons or anything else. thanks for the help i guess i will look for a A2 head.
Old 01-05-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Wiseco pistons seem to be the brand of choice among D17 tuners. I don't have any personal experience with bottom end builds for the D17 though..

Here's a good place to start looking, specifically the engine section: http://www.dezod.com/cat_7thgencivic.cfm

They used to focus mainly on building/tuning D17s before they moved onto other platforms. Prices are awesome, customer service is amazing, but their shipping costs do kinda suck.