Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

ex head swap + ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
ex head swap + ???

okay so i am buying an ex head off triz and getting an afc neo and slapping in a stage 1 (MAYBE stage 2 + valve spring kit) cam. just getting opinions what else could i do for a little more power while i have the engine apart? id rather do all this at once u know?
Old 11-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: ex head swap + ???

Unless you have k-pro, don't get a stage 2 cam.

Do some searching, back in the day when they were first released only piggy backs and aem ems were available, and everyone attempted to run the stage 2 on piggy backs since aem ems isn't that good. No one was able to their engines to run properly below 2k rpms.

I say get the stage 1 and leave it at that unless you plan to go turbo in the future.
Old 11-05-2011
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

good to know. i keep talking myself into a stage 2 then talking myself out of it but now im sure i wont lol unless i hit the loto and get kpro.

and i plan on doing the head swap myself (or attempting to anyways) along with a new timing belt and water pump.

is a port and polish job something i could do at home? or it that something a machinist has to do? ive seen "port matching" on youtube and it seems really easy as long as i take my time but im not sure if thats the same thing as port polishing

im looking to squeeze every horse outta this head without turbo or kpro and at a fair price
Old 11-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Port and polish on a head is something you'd want a machine shop to handle.

Port matching a throttle body and intake manifold, which some people choose to DIY, requires a fraction of the precision of working on the actual head casting. It's also probably not worthwhile for a stage 1 cam, if you were going stage 2 and turbo I'd say go for it.
Old 11-06-2011
Registered!!

okay, is there any well known places that can do that?
anything else i could/should do?

EVENTUALLY (maybe a year or 2 in the future) if i dont trade my car for a nice teg or 6th gen si i will probably boost it.

also i plan on doing my timing belt and water pump sometime soon...is this something i should do when i do the timing belt? i was going to diy it but im not sure i can do a head swap myself...i dont know much about engine internals
Old 11-06-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Not much else you can do aside from cam and P&P. If you really want to you could install ARP head studs and a thicker head gasket in preparation for boost, but one for every 20 people who plan boost end up boosted, in my experience. I would just do the boost work when you are installing the turbo kit.
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heisrisen007 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you havent done swap yet I have an 02 - 05 ex head rebuilt with silinoid and have done the swapp from Hx to ex can maybe help you out also have a brand new throttle body with warrenty 100 miles on it for sale Pm me for my number man..
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Heiserb is an unknown quantity at this point

hey man i Got a dx and am interested in doing an ex swap for my 7th gen, for the VTEC what would you say the average work time would be for 2 guys 1 of which has done the swap b4. THanx bro!
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about

I believe you need a ex ecu, for vtec to work, a new exhaust, head, cam, etc.... I have a 04 ex head complete with vtec selonoid. PM if interested. Also have a race header with exhaust for sale. All ex model
Old 11-22-2011
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

check out http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

you can calculate compression with that thing using different parts. I know with the old d16s you could use natural gas civic pistons to bust up the compression like woah. Machine the head down, DO NOT PORT AND POLISH TOO MUCH you can actually loose what little low end to mid range power you have.

you can then play with the virtual dyno and see what kind of power you can expect. have fun.
Old 11-23-2011
Registered!!

you do NOT need the ecu from an ex for vtec. either kpro, afc neo, vafcII, or other vtec controller will work and most allow you to set vtec to engage at whatever rpms you want insted of stock.

also thanks guys but i got the head yesterday from triz. although i dont see the vtec solenoid anywhere or anywhere it bolts up to...not sure whats up with that yet but yea.

just waitin on the cash for the afc neo, stage 1 cam and the other stuff like gaskets timing belt coolant and stuff