Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Is my Turbo WG broken?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I <3 My EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is my Turbo WG broken?

I bought a GT25r Dual BB turbo used and its from a TSI kit. I didnt realize the wastegate actuator rod is really stiff.. is it suppose to be really stiff?

I've tried yanking it back and forth with one hand and it doesnt seem to wanna move.. is is suppose to be stiff..'

only planning on running 6-7 lbs
Old 10-31-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough
Re: Is my Turbo WG broken?

It should be stiff...if you put your thumb on the side of the flat pice that connects into the side of the turbine housing and try to push/rotate it away from the wastegate actuator, it should move, it will be hard, and it may hurt yuor thumb lol, but it should still rotate. If it doesn't, you have a problem. If is does, then it should be fine.
Old 10-31-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^That sounds correct, I think you have more experience with turbo'd engines than I do Aetoc. It's not possible for me to open the waste gate on my friends R32 skyline with one arm, though..
Old 11-01-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Yea, the tsi kit is only set to 9psi I believe, so the spring isn't very strong. The boost pressure pushes up against a large diaphragm, so it requires less force to move the spring than pulling on the rod. If the previous owner of the turbo changes the spring at all, especially to a heavier one, it's likely that you wont be able to move it by hand. IMO I'd just get the kit working and run the car up to 10psi and see if the wg opens, that'll tell you right there if it is jammed or not...just make sure you don't let it spool up more than like 12psi on your stock intake mani and you should be fine.
Old 11-01-2011
Registered!!

I <3 My EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I used pliers and it moved smoothly Lol .. but looks like I got screwed over .... I ran it earlier and see oil leaking somewhere and its not the oil pan .. return or ....