Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.

Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.

^I'm agreeing with this and probably not doing the swap. It's just not cheap enough yet. Give it 5 more years and the K20 will be selling for 2k
Old 05-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'm not expecting a fast car, I just want a car that doesn't have a broken transmission and the difference in cost between a manual swap and a k20a3 is minimal. Besides, my engine will eventually.
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

1) D17
- Only things that can be done for some gains: I/E/H + stage 1 cam, or turbo/nitro.
- in no-VTEC range - lame, but good gas ileage. In VTEC range - soome peep, not much...

2) K20
- Much more potential, but +$ to mod it (i can live with that)
- Less mileage engine, almost new if rebuilt before dropping it on the bay.
- non-VTEC range - not diff than the D17, but RSX is heavier. VTEC range - comes alive if head swap for A3? More Hyde than Jekyll when you want to.

Among other stuff, so i still think it is worthwhile if you going to keep the car for long.
K24 if you want more torque in lower RPM.
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care much fore more torque in the lower RPM. I want more power in general, and an engine with less KMs... I just don't think the swap is viable because of price. Believe me though, you will feel a big difference between the D17 and the K20. I've done a swap before and I definitely felt a huge difference. Over time though it will just feel slow again.
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

when you feel it is slow again, it's time to upgrade (again - should be done before the swap, actually) the suspension/brakes .
That's the right way to do, BTW - start with suspension, when you can overdrive the suspension but there is not enough power and it makes you work too much on the momentun, add power. when the power and DRIVER can ovedrive the suspension, add suspension and brakes, and so on.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-01-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Tom, would not a K24 work better for you? they cheaper to get. too many accords around
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I've done no reserach into the K24 swap... but I imagine it's pretty close. I'll have to search into it. As far as suspension goes OEM civic suspension can handle a stock K20 no problem.. I think Obviously RSX axles are part of the swap.
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

WTF? http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ275897297
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

it was on the honda tuning last year - potentially could reduce gas mileage for your purposes, or not - less weight, less throttle required.
maybe springs require review?
2k... could be good? Not sure. you could get a n engine cheaper than that
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Cheaper than 2k? Its a K24 block with a K20 head and an A2 6spd transmission... the only thing not listed is mileage that price is FANTASTIC. No ECU included but you have to buy a Kpro anyway so it would cost an additional 600 bucks to get Kpro... or 1300 on ebay . A whole Frank for 3300 Kpro included?

Probably doesnt inlcude axles n stuff tho
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

I missed the trans... sorry
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Not to mention private sale so you pretty well save 300 bucks right there on taxes... HMMMMMMMMMM......... I'm considering it I sent him a msg.
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Here you go Austin. Couple these together.

K24block/K20A2 head with 6 spd tranny 2000$ cash:
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?Ad...yD4Np9qHbppf4*
Hondata Kpro ECU 1200 dollars delivered:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/02-04-RSX-HONDATA...item20b657bacc

A badass swap in the making
Old 05-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

looks like you on the good way
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Haha I told the wife we are going on a road trip to go buy an engine and she was actually all for it I'm not buying it though...
Old 05-01-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Okay, just got a response from him. It doesnt include the axles or the exhaust manifold. It does however include the power steering pump and the A/C condesenor. It doesnt include many of the other things a pre bought swap does... But.. It's a frank engine + 6 spd transmission with 60k miles for 2000 dollars... What do you guys think? Should I buy it? It's a 6 hour drive from my house which is no big deal. Give me some input people in seriously considering this.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-01-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light

you don't need the axles unless you already have a five lug swap.

You can use EP3 axles. A/C condenser, you don't need either. You can use your stock A/C condenser. It's the compressor that you'll need.
Old 05-02-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Ep3 axles aren't something many people opt for when they k-swap, but they make a lot sense when you consider how many fewer parts need to buy compared to going 5 lug. New wheels alone are at least a few hundred bucks. I did some searching today and found two K20a2 complete swaps for less than $2100 in Vancouver, I love it when people are to cheap to pay for collision lol
Old 05-02-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i need a new job! i'm so jelly of you guys =(
Old 05-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I love it when people are to cheap to pay for collision lol
"Power is nothing without control" - Pirelli ad
Old 05-03-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I just got some info from the guy and a whole bunch of pics. K24A1 block with a K20A2 head... I'm still thinking about this but I don't think it's gonna happen just now
Old 05-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

?!? why?
Old 05-04-2011
Registered!!

arubio0812 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys its literally my first day as a member and like a virgin im a little uncomfortable and nervous about asking this but... i am about to buy a K20a3 block w/o the cylinder head and no tranny for a hundred bucks, i think its a steal, that being said i know i need a cylinder head (was wondering wats the best one for the K20a3) ECU (i have a 4 door ex 2002), tranny, A/c condenser, engine mounts, intake manifold, exhaust manifold... What else do i need and how much is this all gunna run me?
Old 05-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

The best head you will be able to get affordeably is the K20A2.

The best ECU you can and should run is Hondata KPRO

The rest of the information can be found here. If you plan to build the swap with individual parts it will be VERY expensive unless you wait for deals.

http://www.xproductionz.com/k20swap/k20swap.html
Old 05-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

sdaidoji... what's preventing me from buying it at this point and time is the fact that it will cost me another 3000 dollars in parts just to get it in.. now I know 5k is good for a frank swap with KPRO. The other thing preventing me from buying it right now is the fact that my car is a commuter car.. It would be a shame to put 40k a year on a frankenstein swap. I don't have any other options for commuting except my ford edge and that thing is terrible on gas... I do want to buy it and I'm still thinking about it... I have the money I just don't .. know...
Old 05-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Okay I'll post a picture of the swap now and you guys tell me what you think. Here it is in his car but he never actually started the engine... He did an awesome job cleaning everything up and it has a stage 1 clutch, 10lbs flywheel, ARP head studs. Mostly everything for the swap is there except computer, axles, clutch lines, subframe, and some other stuff. Let me know what you think. Is it worth 2000?

Name:  K24K20swap.png
Views: 1010
Size:  1.18 MB
Old 05-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I thought of something we've been forgetting in our budgets, the ac system draining and re-charge.
Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

Hey thanks man that was an awesome link, so going forward buying this block, is it worth the price? 100 for a k20a3 block? or should i just save my money and wait on a package deal?
Old 05-06-2011
Registered!!

Hey guys just bought the k20a3 block with a clutch, intake manifold, fuel rail, timing belt cover, and the bolts to attach the the cylinder head to the block. Now do i have to make any mods to put a k24 head on the k20a3 block?
Old 05-07-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I went to a shop today and saw a car with gold plated billet K-swap mounts and a neochrome turbo housing, so sex.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official K-swap Discussion and Research Thread.