Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Less boost than usual + exhaust louder = relation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Less boost than usual + exhaust louder = relation?

I used to get 9ish lbs of boost.

My internal wastegate actuator rod broke off and ever since, I have been using tie wraps to hold the flapper closed to the wastegate, but it would melt off every couple of days

One day last week I was booting it pretty hard on the highway at 9lbs then it dropped and would only go to 5lbs. My assumption was the tie wrap heated up and stretched letting some boost out. At the same time, I noticed my exhaust got a little bit louder.

Ever since that, when I tried to tie wrap, I would only get 5lbs, for one boot and it would melt (as oppose to most other times, it usually doesn't melt so soon)

Couple days ago I finally fixed my waste actuator, but there is like half a centimeter of play on the flapper (I doubt it would change much)

Anyways now I only getlike 4 or 5lbs(and its like a leaky 5lbs) at 6000ish rpm. The boost doesn't even start to kick in until about 3000rpm. And my exhaust got a shitload louder.

Now what I want to know is, do you guys think that me not getting boost and my exhaust getting louder have anything to do with eachother? Like, what could it be? I know im not leaking boost from any intercooler pipes...so I don't know what it could be.
Old 04-18-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
Re: Less boost than usual + exhaust louder = relation?

sounds like something's leaking somewhere....
Old 04-18-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my guess would be that something along the exhaust system or wastegate is stuck open, making it sound louder. Hm, I'm not sure. Maybe you could get a friend to gas it a little bit as you listen under the hood...not sure, or you could just use your hand and mess with the throttle.
Old 04-19-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

adjust the internal wg rod?
Old 04-19-2008
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice

wg might be venting into the atmosphere.
Old 04-19-2008
Pinkslip Racer

karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough

so you guys are saying my flapper isnt holding tigh enough to the wastegate? i just re tightened all my intercooler pipes, and right now my car is on jack stands, gonna crawl under and see if theres a leak anywhere from underneath. other than that, im fresh out of ideas
Old 04-19-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

it wouldnt be the charge pipes if the exhaust is louder. i think its def the wastegate. open dump sounds sick though lol.
Old 04-20-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

do u have a resonator on the exhaust .. the exhaust getting louder could be ur res is jus toast lol cuz thats what happened to min e.. and the leak im guessing a leak somewhere, no idea tho, check all ur lines and stuff take it to a reliable shop
Old 04-21-2008
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold

Boost leak!

Check all of your charge pipes, manifold, intercooler, BOV etc...