Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Ecu problems. PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JackBlack2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ecu problems. PLEASE help

So I have a 2001 Civic lx and I'm in the process of doing a head swap to vtec. I bought a vtec ex ecu to switch out the ecu and I'm having problems with it working. I'm not sure if its just bad or needs to be reflashed. I've looked through a lot of forums and people have talked about reflashing their keys at the dealership, but they don't really answer my biggest question. When I hook up the vtec ecu and try to crank up my car it doesn't work and I don't know what to do. Obviously I'm not trying to buy another ecu or anything, but if I need to I will. I just want to know if its not starting the car up because it needs to be reflashed and if thats the case does it need to be plugged up to the car to reflash it?

I"m sorry for the rambling about all this but I really don't know what to do and it's definitely getting frustrating. So please if someone can help me on this please let me know what to do. Thanks
Old 04-01-2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
Re: Ecu problems. PLEASE help

Originally Posted by JackBlack2005
So I have a 2001 Civic lx and I'm in the process of doing a head swap to vtec. I bought a vtec ex ecu to switch out the ecu and I'm having problems with it working. I'm not sure if its just bad or needs to be reflashed. I've looked through a lot of forums and people have talked about reflashing their keys at the dealership, but they don't really answer my biggest question. When I hook up the vtec ecu and try to crank up my car it doesn't work and I don't know what to do. Obviously I'm not trying to buy another ecu or anything, but if I need to I will. I just want to know if its not starting the car up because it needs to be reflashed and if thats the case does it need to be plugged up to the car to reflash it?

I"m sorry for the rambling about all this but I really don't know what to do and it's definitely getting frustrating. So please if someone can help me on this please let me know what to do. Thanks

You just answered your own question...
Old 04-01-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Holy **** I have explained this in detail at least twice before. You aren't looking very hard.
Old 04-01-2008
Registered!!

I mean I was just asking not to mention I finally did find a forum that answered my question after like 3 hours of non-stop looking and that was only because of how they worded their threads it wouldn't show up on my search.

Whats the average price for getting a reflash at a dealership?
Old 04-01-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere from 30-100 bucks depending on where you live and how bad the svc dep't. wants to *** rape you.
Old 04-01-2008
Registered!!

What about like advance auto parts? I know they can do a reflash on the computer when it comes to adding parts to your car, but can they do it to get the immobilizer to recognize the key too or is it only the dealers that can do that?
Old 04-01-2008
Turbo Guru

No, that requires a Honda recoding computer. As far as advance reflashing your computer for anything, they aren't able to do it that to my knowledge.
Old 04-01-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Yes sir you must use the Honda computer....you can get away with the remote by following some instructions but all the keys must be done at the dealership or you won't start!

I charge $40 which is half an hour charge..........