Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

S/C that may actually work for the D17...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
S/C that may actually work for the D17...

Hey folks. This is sort of a re-post of something we're talking about on d-series right. It looks like this S/C may actually work with the D17. It's by a company called Rotrex and it's a compact unit that doesn't have the long nose of the JSRC or the Weiand SCs.

Here's some linkage:

http://www.rotrex.com

http://www.tts-performance.com (a site that sells a bolt-on K20 kit here in the UK)

Buds302 found this video of an ITR with one so I uploaded it to my Youtube account.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riAPYNjm87Y[/youtube]

Now before you go poo-pooing this idea, think about it for a second. Yes we've been hampered by the strut tower on the normal S/C options out there. This unit is fairly compact. Yes our engine is a CCW spinning engine. OK that makes things tricky.

But what about this?

Ditch the power steering for an electric version. Flip the Rotrex around and fab a bracket to put it where the PS pump and rezzie used to be. This solves the clearance and rotation issues. IC and intake piping will be tricky, you will have to custom fab a stout bracket and also get a custom crank pulley. These issues aren't that big of a deal I think.

Thoughts?

Here are some pics, it's not very big.

Last edited by speedfoos; 11-12-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2007
let the devil out
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
Re: S/C that may actually work for the D17...

this has been around for awhile, I know they dropped R&D for the K series and decided to shoot for the FIT and some other models. If its possible to setup for a D17 it would most likely be all custom configuration.
Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

susuking is on a distinguished road

now we need someone smart enough to try it
Old 11-20-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susuking
now we need someone smart enough to try it
I'm taking donations
Old 01-01-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Get me a procharger and 4 grand and I'll have a S/C legitimately bolted up to a d17 block if anyone wants one. Its not that hard to do, it just takes time and money. The fact that a turbo setup will cost less and have better gains just kicks the idea right in the nuts. You still need the same supporting mods and the custom work the S/C needs would be about a $1k or more above the turbo setup.
Old 01-01-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

wouldnt that depend on whose setup we are talking about... Clint has spent like 8k on his, wouldnt that cover a s/c kit?
Old 01-01-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

How much is a supercharger and all the custom cnc work?? CNC machines are at about $100 per hour at the cheapest. The s/c pictured above is like twice as much as a turbo. Think how much he spent on the ACTUAL turbo kit. Take out any drivetrain, fuel, ecu, tuning costs, etc. they are going to be the same as a S/C. more power requires the same mods.
Old 02-24-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Someone over at clubcivic is working on getting the jackson racing supercharger to work. He has the charger, but is just starting. Heres the thread: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=95203
Old 02-25-2008

I was thinking the Rotrex unit would fit right where the AC compressor is if you pulled it. They look to be about the same size. Would make running a belt and fabbing a bracket a lot easier. Darius is on 7thgenhonda as well. I'll hit him up there.
Old 02-26-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

If you could find a belt the right length and fabricate a bracket, it still looks like you'd run into fitment issues with the hood.

Not to say it can't be done, though. I'm from the school of thought that if it's made of metal, it can be cut, shaped, bent, formed, and made however you need it, given time and money.
Old 02-26-2008

But if it's where the AC compressor is, there's no worry about hood clearance since it's under the alternator.
Old 02-26-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I suppose if it's a track-only car. But would it really be worth sacrificing AC? Living in Texas, I sure wouldn't want to go without.
Old 02-26-2008

Yeah, as much as I play at being hard, I'll be making a new DP that's AC-compliant this winter when I move back to the states. AC may be for the weak, but that's a weakness I don't mind having.
Old 02-26-2008

Originally Posted by speedfoos
AC may be for the weak, but that's a weakness I don't mind having.
Yeah, I'll back you up on that one.