Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

A REALLY stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007
7th Gen Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light
A REALLY stupid question

OK... I just have a rubber hose connecting my valve cover vent over to my intake tube. I understand I need a catch can, but I can't afford one. How damaging is it to recirculate the little bit of oil that is ejected?

I don't drive my car over like 3500 RPM anymore since my tuning issue and it doesn't really ever make more than 2 or 3 psi because I turned it down. I didn't have ANYTHING over these holes for months... most likely sucking in all sorts of crap. I put the hose on last week.

How long can I pull this off for? Anyone have a good DIY catch can?

If someone can step up to the plate for these 3 questions, my engine will thank you.
Old 08-27-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A REALLY stupid question

Have you seen Andyman's turbo setup. He doesn't even have that hooked up. If nething you could put a breather on their. I read a post saying that the tube helps recirculate the oil to help lube the valvetrain but I think its just an emissions thing.
Old 08-27-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude, just lengthen the hose and let it dangle until you buy or make a new catch can. It's not going to suck as much as blow air out. I wouldn't recirc it into your turbo intake on the offchance it pukes oil into it.

I did a DIY on making a cheap Ebay catch can into a better one which should work pretty nicely once I get the install finished. Here it is:

'Foos Catchcan DIY

If not there is a DIY on d-series.org on how to make one from PVC pipe, 2 PVC pipe end caps, a couple nipples, a plug, and some glue.
Old 08-27-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i thought it was not really a problem of oil squirting but more that having the hose hooked up is bad for turbo. cant remember why but you need it for na but not turbo. just buy a breather filter for now. hooking that to intake is a bad idea.
Old 08-27-2007
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold

they sell those breather filters at autozone for like 10 bucks each.
Old 08-27-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.carcare.org/Engine/crankcase_vent.shtml

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1199935
Old 08-27-2007

Wow, good find gearbox! I'll be moving my catch can now, that's for sure!
Old 08-27-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Anyone have a good DIY catch can?
Gatorade bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(those of you who have been here a while will get the joke)

You can let it run open. If you leave it connected, then you pressurize the crankcase when the car boosts. if you have a hole in the intake pipe for that hose, WELD it shut.
Old 08-28-2007
7th Gen Photographer

LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light

So I should breather filter the vent on the valve cover as well as the hole in the intake tube? Or just run the hose from the valve cover down under the car?
Old 08-28-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

A hose down under the car would work, but you need to close and seal the hole in the pipe.... if you leave the hole, you have a big boost leak.
Old 08-28-2007

Is the hole in the charge piping, or the inlet tube for the compressor? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's just on the inlet pipe, a piece of aluminum and some JB Weld will do the trick since there isn't much pressure on it. If its on the charge piping itself, then yeah, welding (real welding) is the only way to go.

Another question re: catchcans. What about running in in-line filter on the line that runs from the (baffled) can to the inlet pipe, to make doubledamn sure no crud gets sucked into the turbo? Sorry to semi-thread jack, but seems pertinent here.
Old 08-28-2007
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice

lol i was just about to post about the gatorade bottle
Old 08-28-2007
7th Gen Photographer

Well... I have a rubber tube connecting them now... but I HAD the hole open, right behind my air filer, before the turbo. I guess that it sucked air in more through that opening than the filter. Now its sucking through the tube from the vent.

So you guys say I should block that off so it's only sucking through the filter? Or put a breather filter on it too?