Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Commence Motorbuild... DYNO GRAPH (PAGE 12)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Commence Motorbuild... ITS ALIVE!!! (Page 5)

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
First make it work... then make it perfect. I needed a running motor, I got it.... eventually, when I feel like it, I'll deal with that.
LOL i know what you mean.. least your car didnt look like :

my car sat like that for 4 weeks while i worked out the kinks in my motor lol. But hey good luck man, i cant wait to see some numbers. heard you and andy were working this weekend.
Old 05-30-2007
Abortion Survivor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^ Holy **** dude. That looks like 10000000 headaches.
Old 05-30-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

heard you and andy were working this weekend.
Thats a gross understatement. Its more like we were working ALL weekend. Oil pump crank shaft seal was defective, the pressure was a little low, I thought it was a combination of dinopiss oil and all the assembly lubes thinning it out until the car spewed almost all the oil out, had it towed to andy's, tore the bottom end apart, got really lucky and didnt spin a bearing or damage anything.... then put it all back together. it takes 2x as long inside the car. Once I got the car back together and saw how much pressure it has now.... that damn seal never worked right. The real stink of it is that it was a brand new oil pump and seal from Honda.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 05-30-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

Wish I lived closer to you fellas. I dont know any other serious 7thgeners up here.
Old 05-30-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
Wish I lived closer to you fellas. I dont know any other serious 7thgeners up here.
Andy has a spare bedroom, I'm sure he could make some room for ya
Old 05-30-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

im just glad it's all getting sorted out.
Old 05-30-2007

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light

Thats a gross understatement. Its more like we were working ALL weekend. Oil pump crank shaft seal was defective, the pressure was a little low, I thought it was a combination of dinopiss oil and all the assembly lubes thinning it out until the car spewed almost all the oil out, had it towed to andy's, tore the bottom end apart, got really lucky and didnt spin a bearing or damage anything.... then put it all back together. it takes 2x as long inside the car. Once I got the car back together and saw how much pressure it has now.... that damn seal never worked right. The real stink of it is that it was a brand new oil pump and seal from Honda.
Damb oil seals always a pain in the ***. andy was telling me about that.. and your BOV went out too?
Old 05-30-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Yeah, this is a recient thing, 3 weeks ago I pressure checked it and it was fine. I bought a turbosmart kompact valve, which is a piston valve rather than a diaphragm one, just gonna eliminate the issue all together.
Old 05-30-2007

Yeah, this is a recient thing, 3 weeks ago I pressure checked it and it was fine. I bought a turbosmart kompact valve, which is a piston valve rather than a diaphragm one, just gonna eliminate the issue all together.
good plan... good luck man
Old 05-30-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I don't know, the seal could've been defective or it could have been that you didn't seat it properly after installing the pump. They probably just shoved it in there and it wasn't flush. That's how it looked when I got the timing gear off the crank. I could see a small piece of the seal torn and hanging. Important thing is, you've got 1,000X's better luck than I do, lol.
Old 05-30-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Bought a DC Sports SCS exhaust this morning. gonna try and pop it on tomorrow and see what that does. once the BOV comes in, I'll take it out and make sure the car is holding boost.
Andy, the car is holding oil now, which is good.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 05-30-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2007
Registered!!

drjvic04 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to barge in here.
Have you considered using a recirculation valve, to help with the spooling of the turbo?(I know that you have vtech set low to assist with the spooling just wondering)
Old 05-30-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Um, I am using a recirc valve, have been since day 1. See photo, refer to blue hose.
Old 05-30-2007
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah and when you make phone calls, don't forget the vtech, yo!
Old 05-31-2007
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Haha he walked right into that one. +1, cause I feel sorry for him.
Old 05-31-2007
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light

Um, I am using a recirc valve, have been since day 1. See photo, refer to blue hose.
how does this work?
Old 05-31-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Instead of venting pressure to the atmosphere, its vented back into the system before the turbo.
Old 05-31-2007
Registered!!

gsniper666 has a spectacular aura aboutgsniper666 has a spectacular aura aboutgsniper666 has a spectacular aura about

it recycles the presurized air to keep up the turbo speed... its the same idea as the 2002 passats have.... you can also go to a recirculate/bov combo f you want to tune better... i no greddy makes one
Old 05-31-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Its intended purpose has nothing to do with compressor speed.
ALL mass air metered cars (VWs, Saabs, Volvos, Porsches, Subarus, Mitsubishis, Nissans) use recirc valves to maintain the proper amount of air in the system. If you vent it after the computer accounts for it, you end up with a rich spot and the car bogs down.

Recirc valve = Blow off valve = diverter valve
They're all the same thing.
Old 05-31-2007
Turbo Guru

Its intended purpose has nothing to do with compressor speed.
ALL mass air metered cars (VWs, Saabs, Volvos, Porsches, Subarus, Mitsubishis, Nissans) use recirc valves to maintain the proper amount of air in the system. If you vent it after the computer accounts for it, you end up with a rich spot and the car bogs down.

Recirc valve = Blow off valve = diverter valve
They're all the same thing.
NO, NO, NO, it makes the turbo spool faster!
Old 05-31-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

But didn't you tell me it helps the snail stay spooled or was I dreaming? Or was it that it prevent crap from getting sucked back up by the BOV and also gives it a more subtle sound? I can't remember.
Old 05-31-2007
Turbo Guru

It does exactly what boiler just said. That's the purpose, for MAF metered cars. Airflow from the exhaust spools a turbo, not air in the charge pipe.
Old 05-31-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

well, I got my DC installed and took it out for a spin. Umm its kinda loud. Not annoying loud, but I'm used to quiet. Hopefully once it burns out a little bit, it'll quiet down. It was fine cruising on the highway with the windows up, but when I hit the gas from a light or something, its a little too boomy for my taste. The good thing is when I get on it, it sounds really good and smooth, and goes from 0 to .7 bar (10.15 psi for you non-metrics) in an instant.

Big discovery.... that Tanabe had a 2" flange with an expansion section. The DC is straight through 60mm..... so I'm sure that it'll open up a little bit without the choke section on it. Also gonna clear out that scrubby brick thing, but um...

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 05-31-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

hey, no econo-box jap car is complete without a touch of rice..
Old 06-04-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

no... expect to hear very little before next wednesday
Old 06-06-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

moderate update. I got my new BOV. I'm pretty sure I just closed the leak, I got more boost now. Now I need to figure out if the solenoid setting is off, or if I have a major creep problem, the gauge registered almost 13 psi and I bounced off the Kpro boost cut, which is incredibly violent.... still working out the bugs, but its getting better.
Old 06-06-2007

LOL welcome to the world of Boost and lean cuts! You hole car feels like it wants to stop huh?
Old 06-06-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion

Well, I'm glad its there, but I need to figure out whats going on. I dont have a laptop that can get me into Kpro (I have a mac), so I gotta borrow one and run it with the datalogger on. It seems the cut off is somewhere around .9bar, must be a factory default, but I dont know if the wastegate is creeping or if the solenoid isnt quite calibrated. Will have to play with it tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2007

Umm you can run... virtual pc
http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/
Old 06-06-2007
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all

Was gonna say... Bootcamp or parallels are your friends as far as running windows goes. I'm building a mac with PC parts... OSX86 project.

Quick Reply: Commence Motorbuild... DYNO GRAPH (PAGE 12)