Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Stage 2, n/a, VAFC2 or emanage?

Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matteo will become famous soon enough
Stage 2, n/a, VAFC2 or emanage?

Hey guys, im going n/a set-up and want to do: ex head swap, stage 2 crower cam + springs/reatainer kit, and ex header swap.

I know i can use a VAFC2 to do the ex head swap, but with the cam will that work well?...or is it better to use a emanage? Also are rsx injectors worth getting with the parts above put on?
Old 01-12-2007
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
From personal experience the VAFCII is basiclaly useless unless you do a dx/lx to ex head swap. thats jsut to set the Vtec lo-hi/hi-lo engagement points. But as for tunning it does nothing. But the Emanage dosen't work as a Vtec engagement. But Its one of the best ways to tune the d17.
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

Boost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura about
"An option for Honda VTEC cars will allow you to even adjust the VTEC shift point." directly from emanage product description...
Old 01-12-2007
Registered!!

so can i use the emanage only for the EX head swap and tune it? or what?
will the emanage really work better than the VAFC2 with the swap?
Old 01-12-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Boost_Junkie
"An option for Honda VTEC cars will allow you to even adjust the VTEC shift point." directly from emanage product description...
Yeah, but you cant drop it low enough to make it worth while. I know from experience.

Use the emanage. as much as it sucks, it'll do much more for you than an AFC since you can actually go in and work on the maps.
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

so u are saying if i get a ex head swap, stage 2 cam, and spring/retainer kit all at ounce and take it to a shop...then all i need is just the emanage?
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

cmon guys, i want to make sure so i dont waste money on the wrong parts
Old 01-13-2007
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Yeah, but you cant drop it low enough to make it worth while. I know from experience.

Use the emanage. as much as it sucks, it'll do much more for you than an AFC since you can actually go in and work on the maps.

What do you mean it cant drop it low enough? It will engage where ever you tell it to
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

alright, thanks guys. i think im gonna go w/vafc2 because i AM doing a swap as well as the cam. im not looking for huge performance, just want some gains so extensive tuning and extra money for a emanage isnt for me

thanks again for the help
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

silver surfer is an unknown quantity at this point
i have stage 2 crower cam n/a and tit spring and retainer set. brand new if you look on ebay in next 9 hours it will be item # is 300068667522. tried to sell on here but everyone just wanted to trade.
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

hey pm-ed u
Old 01-14-2007
Registered!!

Boost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1

yeh i know what you mean...and matteo its an option to use the vtec adjustment, i have emanage on my a1...
Old 01-17-2007
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
ive never had luck or have i ever seen anybody have very much luck with emanage and vtec settings on the d17. the AFC won't tune you for **** and the emanage is a pain in the ***.
Old 03-01-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Well, how'd this go for you? Ever get it done? Hows stage 2 working for ya. I'm looking at doing the exact same thing, upgrading the cams and taking a head swapped D17 to stage 2, but havent came across anyone yet who has done this. But I've found you so far. So- tell me how it went, problems etc.
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Stick to stage 1 Triz. The stage 2 is cool but its just impossible to get the car to idle properly w/o a stand alone. I'd trade my stage 2 for a stage 1 lol. But Im 80% sure I'll be buying ems.
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
to take advantage of the higher redline you NEED EMS otherwise the higher reving cam is worthless
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

tougEMII has a spectacular aura abouttougEMII has a spectacular aura about
^yeah seriously..if i was doing the stage 2 cam and head work...id at least attempt to raise redline to 8. thats where ull be getting lots of power. i rmbr watching a guy who did the stage2 cam on youtube..he posted it here on the site. he kept it at 7 redline and it looked like it still cuda gone more if he extended redline.
Old 03-01-2007
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
the AFC won't tune you for ****
first i want to say this statement is bs. It WILL tune your WOT fuel settings. Not the best, but I just dont like misinformation.
A stage 2 cam will improve your numbers from aorund 5500- stock redline When used with a decent set up of other parts. With my setup I could probably use another 500 rpm before the power starts to fall off, but it does even out right at the stock redline.
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
the stage one will provide the same benefit as the stage 2 with out rev limiter controls. so if you dont plan to do EMS then save yourself the money for the springs and retainers and the tuning you have to do and just go with the stage 1
Old 03-01-2007
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by familycar
the stage one will provide the same benefit as the stage 2 with out rev limiter controls. so if you dont plan to do EMS then save yourself the money for the springs and retainers and the tuning you have to do and just go with the stage 1
agreed
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

tougEMII has a spectacular aura abouttougEMII has a spectacular aura about
damn djmota...133 all motor. u hit 15.5 at lacr? or fontana or what. any vids of ur car ?
Old 03-02-2007
Premium Member

the best i have done at lacr was a 15.7 the 15.5's where at pomona and fontana. Nah i don't have any vids. I should come up with a camera mount so I can make some.
Old 03-02-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Camera setup? Check out my method of recording... (prob not legal at your track, I use it on backroads)

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-mounting.html

BTW, I guess the orig poster isnt going to show in this thread- I will be creating a thread soon about my headswap+upgrading internals for comments and suggestions.
Old 03-02-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Stick to stage 1 Triz. The stage 2 is cool but its just impossible to get the car to idle properly w/o a stand alone. I'd trade my stage 2 for a stage 1 lol. But Im 80% sure I'll be buying ems.
How bad is the idle???

Does it surg? Stall? What?
Old 03-02-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Idle is perfect in open loop but once you go into closed loop you will stall w/o a piggy back to pull fuel. It goes way to rich to keep an idle. I never had stalling issues until I got my test pipe. Taking out the cat seem to be causing more problems maybe from less back pressure I have no idea. Like I'll be driving fine and whenever I come to a stop light it goes too rich and cuts off. But the down side is if you take out so much fuel the ecu retards timing at least i think it does bc the car gets laggy and hesitates when you step on the gas.I'm gonna take out emanage for a week and see how the car drives w/o it. In a private convo with djmota he told me he has the same issue with stalling out and he just keeps his foot on the gas and uses the ebrake alot.. I guess for hills and stuff. Bottom line... EMS for the win

I do have a lil bit of surging at idle but Chris (Wilmnchris) was explaining to me thats the ecu trying to correct for proper air/fuel.

Last edited by ronaldo9; 03-02-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2007
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Idle is perfect in open loop but once you go into closed loop you will stall w/o a piggy back to pull fuel. It goes way to rich to keep an idle. I never had stalling issues until I got my test pipe. Taking out the cat seem to be causing more problems maybe from less back pressure I have no idea. Like I'll be driving fine and whenever I come to a stop light it goes too rich and cuts off. But the down side is if you take out so much fuel the ecu retards timing at least i think it does bc the car gets laggy and hesitates when you step on the gas.I'm gonna take out emanage for a week and see how the car drives w/o it. In a private convo with djmota he told me he has the same issue with stalling out and he just keeps his foot on the gas and uses the ebrake alot.. I guess for hills and stuff. Bottom line... EMS for the win

I do have a lil bit of surging at idle but Chris (Wilmnchris) was explaining to me thats the ecu trying to correct for proper air/fuel.
"a lil bit of surging" LOL
It sounds like a chevy 350 with a roller cam
Old 03-02-2007

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Man Ron I had to move into a new house, and wasnt able to install my cam and cam gear.

But have you considered uying a VAFC2 to tune it???

Thats what Im going to use, but I dont know when Ill have the extra cash to install and re tune it.

Could be as long as a year...

thanks for responding back!
Old 03-02-2007
Registered!!

Sorry bout the move but no worries. It's not even spring/summer yet. You have plenty of time. I'm going to give the emanage another shot and see another tuner to see what they can do. I'll be purchasing a cam gear soon and hopefully that will mitigate some of the problems I'm having.
Old 03-02-2007
Registered!!

warpax is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Everyone,

I'm doing the same type of build. Actually, I have a complete D17A2 engine to swap into my 2005 LX. I bought the AFC Neo two weeks ago and installed it last week (minus VTEC control). I have all my parts now. Just got all the assembly parts today(Head bolts, Head gasket set, new plugs, new timing belt and water pump). I am at kind of a bottleneck right now because I'm stuck waiting for my head to be ported/polished (hopefully done in the next week). As soon as its done, the engine build can begin and hopefully be ready for late April/early May. I have an AEM adjustable cam gear, Crower N/A Stage 2 with valve springs and retainers, Megan 4-1 header, Random Technologies high flow catalytic converter, and vibrant performance catback system all ready to go. After reading these posts, Im hoping I don't have trouble getting it to idle with the Stage 2 Cam. Anyways, perhaps we should start a thread of the select few of us actually working on this build. Just a thought.

Happy Building Everyone

Warren
Old 03-05-2007

Thanks for the support Ron!

Warren in my honnist oppinion yes you will have some idle and closed loop problems!

good luck sir!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stage 2, n/a, VAFC2 or emanage?