Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

New Parts!!!! YES Also Help from N/A Guys Upddate Pg 6 12/25/06

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
i didnt read anyhitng about arp rod bolts either. you will definately need a good strong set of rod bolts to spin high rpms. you will NEED EMS to set the rev limiter to where your car is making power.

you definately want at least a stg 3 cam. the GUDE specs are actually larger than the crower specs. and he will do all the headwork for you using what ever size valves you want.

i would stray from an I/M like supermex's. his is made for forced induction and will not proved you the same benefit. you need a I/M designed for velocity not volume. i have a couple of b series manifold i will sell you for cheap if you want to try to work something out with them. one is a gsr mani and the other is a jap spec b20 obdI mani. the OBDI mani has all sensors and the throttle body. that may also benefot you in the fact that youll have a larger T/B to work with if needed. i actually have a b16 billet fuel rail to throw in too. the OBDI mani also comes ith a fuel rail and injectors for the b20.
this would also give you the option to run larger injectors as well. but you will need to wire in resistor packs for them.

as far as header i think the hp race header will be fine. it relatively cheap and will do the job just right.

if i remember correctly, didnt Kezay do the R&D for crower with this same set up with the stg 3 cam and make around 180-190whp with a stock I/M??
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by familycar
i didnt read anyhitng about arp rod bolts either. you will definately need a good strong set of rod bolts to spin high rpms. you will NEED EMS to set the rev limiter to where your car is making power.

you definately want at least a stg 3 cam. the GUDE specs are actually larger than the crower specs. and he will do all the headwork for you using what ever size valves you want.

i would stray from an I/M like supermex's. his is made for forced induction and will not proved you the same benefit. you need a I/M designed for velocity not volume. i have a couple of b series manifold i will sell you for cheap if you want to try to work something out with them. one is a gsr mani and the other is a jap spec b20 obdI mani. the OBDI mani has all sensors and the throttle body. that may also benefot you in the fact that youll have a larger T/B to work with if needed. i actually have a b16 billet fuel rail to throw in too. the OBDI mani also comes ith a fuel rail and injectors for the b20.
this would also give you the option to run larger injectors as well. but you will need to wire in resistor packs for them.

as far as header i think the hp race header will be fine. it relatively cheap and will do the job just right.

if i remember correctly, didnt Kezay do the R&D for crower with this same set up with the stg 3 cam and make around 180-190whp with a stock I/M??

great help man waht does R and D mean. I cant think today i am sick. I heard the samething on that guy aking 190 hosepower with a stock intake manifold. Now u say velocity what do u mena by that?
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
R and D = research and development. I believe what familycar meant by reffering to velocity is that you would want an IM that would flow at a high rate. Something with tapered runners, a large plenum and velocity stacks would aid in cleaning up the air and making it flow better.

Last edited by MisterFrankieJ; 12-17-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I read the whole thing, maybe I missed it... did you get custom Eagle rods? Or did they reciently start making them?
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough
Now that i think of it, if you are planning on going all out and have the money to spend you might want to PM SMSP on honda-tech about making a header. From what i've seen and heard he does awsome work.
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
I read the whole thing, maybe I missed it... did you get custom Eagle rods? Or did they reciently start making them?
Im with you on this question, hehe. Where did ya buy your parts from??
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MisterFrankieJ
R and D = research and development. I believe what familycar meant by reffering to velocity is that you would want an IM that would flow at a high rate. Something with tapered runners, a large plenum and velocity stacks would aid in cleaning up the air and making it flow better.
so is what ur saying is make the intake manifold narrow so the air gets right into the head? If u have an example please post it
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
Im with you on this question, hehe. Where did ya buy your parts from??
got my pistons, rods, rings and bearings from DH-Racing he gave me a good deal my buddy knows him personally. The eagle rods are custom made
Old 12-17-2006
Premium Member

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
Originally Posted by Civicman1988
got my pistons, rods, rings and bearings from DH-Racing he gave me a good deal my buddy knows him personally. The eagle rods are custom made
Good luck with your stuff, I hope it goes well. This site and many members have bad history with DH. I'm sure you knew that already. Keep it up!
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by XSRCivic
Good luck with your stuff, I hope it goes well. This site and many members have bad history with DH. I'm sure you knew that already. Keep it up!
His quality of parts have changed trust me on that the rods, pistons rings bearing he had made from ross racing
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

04civicdx is an unknown quantity at this point
good luke keep up the good work and keep us posted i hope to be getting some stuff some time soon just have to many bills u guys know
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

ya bills suck
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

so is what ur saying is make the intake manifold narrow so the air gets right into the head? If u have an example please post it
No, all im saying is the same thing that 02fpcivic said, that you should taper the intake runners and use velocity stacks to promote better air flow.

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
If you are going to build a manifold make sure you have some sort of tapered runners with velocity stacks. Straight runners dont work as good for n/a apps. You can get em from Velocity of Sound online. Also that crank looks like a stock crank, is anything done to it? Where did ya buy it? Just making sure you didnt get ripped on it. KMS sold me stock HG for 80 bucks once. People out there suck. The stock crank is probably the best thing to run in it anyway. GL I cant wait to see what happens.
Calculating the optimal length and how much the runners should taper is way beyond my knowledge so I can't help you there.
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

Check these out.

In the first pic you can see the velocity stacks on each of the runners and in the second you can see how each runner tapers.
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

good info now if i make the intake manifol big like 6 inches deep and 5inches wide is that to big?
Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

good info now if i make the intake manifol big like 6 inches deep and 5inches wide is that to big?
That i can't tell you but if you have access to a flow beach you can test different designs and see what works the best. Even tho dezod is making a FI manifold he might be able to give you some insight.
Old 12-18-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
ITB for sure!

Great job man!
Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

zps2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think it is. I know from working on our formula car that our intake manifold is about that size, so for a engine thats almost 3 times the size but half the RPM's and without a restrictor it should be fine. The stock plenum on a F4i is about the size of our resonator box on a stock D17.
Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
good pics guys!! that is exactly what i was speaking of. stray as far form a forced induction manifold as possible. you need air flow speed not volume! Kezay was the one that did the development for crower and he made good power and it kept pulling after 8k rpms but he couldnt go any higher. that is why EMS is reccomended. he ran 11:1 compression pistons though. you will need race fuel to run that bad boy with 12:5:1 c/r. i dont think youll have a problem making 200whp with this done right!!
Old 12-18-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Um... you may want to check into the validity of the information you got. After you said you got eagle rods, I emailed them directly to see what they had available, and this is the response they sent:
On Dec 18, 2006, at 5:27 PM, <service@eaglerod.com> wrote:

Justin,
Sorry. We do not make custom rods.

Thanks.
Since they don't catalog D17 rods, I'd say you may want to figure out what you have before you use them.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 12-18-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2006
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
I read all four pages. Man.. you get me thinking, but like previously said- bills suck. Good luck with the build bro.
Old 12-19-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
whats the word on the eagle rods?
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

I will look later tonight and i will email him and ask him if they are custom be cause thats what i paid for
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

the number is CRS-5394-A
Old 12-19-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

That part number matches B-series rods. Me thinks you've been had.
Old 12-19-2006
There is gl@ss in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry man, but you just bought rods for a B series engine.

If the part # was
CRS5394H3D. Then they would be for a D16 engine.

Edit: Boilermaker, you beat me to it by 3 minutes, lol
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

thanks guys i just emailed him
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

Can someone post a picture of a stock piston?
Old 12-19-2006
Registered!!

Just talked to DH-racing and he machined them out to fit becasue he said there a lot better then the ones they make for are cars
Old 12-19-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Eagle rods are better than Crower Maxi-lites? Wow, someone needs to slap that guy around.
I just compared the D17 and 16 rods... to make em fit, you'd have to shave the bottom end width down, then either bore out the pin bore, or use a stock bore pin (which I don't think you can with aftermarket pistons.) So ummmm I guess it just depends on if you trust DH's machining after he wrecked everyone elses motor.
So in short, you got eagle rods, which seem to be fairly well engineered despite their price, then they were aftermarket reworked so they fit in this motor.

Quick Reply: New Parts!!!! YES Also Help from N/A Guys Upddate Pg 6 12/25/06