Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

k20...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mattyg23 has a spectacular aura aboutmattyg23 has a spectacular aura aboutmattyg23 has a spectacular aura about
k20...

ok i have a 2001 civic ex manual coupe and will have it probably throughout college, im a junior in high school now. anyways i was wondering if you guys think it would be worth it in a couple of years to do a k20 swap? I understand it costs a lot of money and i will start putting some away, but i do have a question, if i took it to a shop to get it done would i have to find all the other parts myself and order them, or would they probably take care of it?

thanks
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
you're a junior in highschool... you have a 5 year old car, drive it till it dies and use the money you've saved to buy something nicer as a college graduation gift to yourself.
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

McFLYsi is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree you could probably afford a newer SI or an rsx type s by then. but if you really wanna swap all the parts should come with the engine. JDMracingmotors.com
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

mattyg23 has a spectacular aura aboutmattyg23 has a spectacular aura aboutmattyg23 has a spectacular aura about
yea that does sound like a good idea

thanks
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

Nyte will become famous soon enoughNyte will become famous soon enough
Hahaha thats cool, I'm also a Junior in Highschool. but yeah I agree w/ everyone, save up for a newer car later. ^^
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

pNOYjOSH can only hope to improve
^ what he said
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

White0nGold has a spectacular aura aboutWhite0nGold has a spectacular aura about
Well i disagree, i'm gonna answer ur question, if incase u do decide to go ahead with your swap, uhm...let me ask this, is the shop ur gonna take it to a friends shop??? if not than you should try finding the parts on ur own, try to find them as low priced as u can get them, otherwise the typical shop just calls the 1st place, and if they have it, they get it for that price, as for you, u can bargain, go to forums, find parts which other people are selling, or try calling different places for different prices, trust me, you'll save yourself a whole lot of money, but thats my opinion, u can do something else if u want, hope it helps
Old 10-19-2006
Registered!!

redrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura about
Save up and go with a different car unless YOU really want a quick Civic.

Why I wouldn't:
At the end of the day, it'll still be a Civic.
You can save and buy a newer/nicer car that has more hp then a K20 would.
To have a FAST Civic you would need a K20 w/a turbo and that would be more money

BUT, this is just MY opinion.
Old 10-20-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Turbocharge it. Start reading all the threads on this forum. Start saving and with about 1k-1500 you can easily pick up a used kit, install it yourself, have it tuned and make more power than a k swap.
Old 10-20-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by redrocket600
To have a FAST Civic you would need a K20 w/a turbo and that would be more money

BUT, this is just MY opinion.
You don't think 12's or 11's is fast?
Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
12's or 11's in a civic running a d17 turbo motor is pretty hard, especially with the average driver.
Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
lol...do a k-swap.
Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute
save your money for new car after college...

you are living with your parents and maybe a part time job to pay for your gas...is this right??

those who have done swap or turbo have jobs..
Old 10-20-2006
Turbo Guru

Originally Posted by Curiouz_G
12's or 11's in a civic running a d17 turbo motor is pretty hard, especially with the average driver.
A 12 is attainable with 275 whp. Decent turbo with an AEM, its doable.
Old 10-20-2006
PWIT
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
i agree with the rest, save the cash, by the time you get out of college you wont want the vic no more. if you wanna do **** to the vic. just do some stuff to make it more fun to drive. Revo SS, some suspension work, I/H/E even though they dont much it sounds good lol. some nice wheels. i wouldnt drop 7k into a motor.

Last edited by CenZ; 10-20-2006 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-20-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

shmik1 has disabled reputation
I have dreams of getting a new car and keeping the civic once I graduate, well soon after.

I probably won't end up doing a k swap, but if I have the money and find a decent shop I'd consider. I'll probably get it re painted and swap my tokicos and eibachs for coilovers.

I agree on getting a better car once you have the money, but if you can have both, who wouldnt want two cars!?
Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by andyman97
Turbocharge it. Start reading all the threads on this forum. Start saving and with about 1k-1500 you can easily pick up a used kit, install it yourself, have it tuned and make more power than a k swap.
this is by far the best opinion you've got so far...i think you should consult andyman about just sticking with the d17....it could be far less of a headache in the end..just my 2 cents though.....
Old 10-20-2006
Registered!!

bullet02ex will become famous soon enoughbullet02ex will become famous soon enough
jsut do what you want man. i would love to swap/turbo now but I'm gonna graduate this yearso I'm gonna wait and see where my finances are once i start my rotc scholarship next year. Just think about what you want before you do it and then go for it. Personally i would eventually love to have my civic smoking other cars instead of being smoked
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

04D17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok well i was thinking the same thing dude but look everyone does swaps i say i/h/e and maybe new ecu and lower but the car looks sweet and i mean a turbo is good but a swap takes to long to save for and also the d17 is a decent motor so jus enjoy and i mean i have 04 EX and i like and trust me it keeps up or beats on some cars but its ur cash do wat u want
Old 10-26-2006
People point and laugh when I drive by. Plus I like men.

CASPER087 is an unknown quantity at this point
personally i dont think you would do the swap even saving. going to college is hard im doin it now. i pay for my own college and car and everything else except my house for now. even if you dont have to pay for college your gonna be busy with school all the time and not have alot of time to work and get money for a swap along with other expenses. everyone would love to have the swap but it is a grip to get and you wont get your money back. even with moding a car you wont get your money back. for me i plan on keeping mine for a while and getting a new car sometime in the future yea but also keep the vic for a project. when i get my other car and im able to work on the vic and not worry about time and being out of a car then i might do the swap. but for now id say go with the turbo. supermex has his car nicely done on a stock motor. 314 hp or whatever it is may not seem like much but it is with your light car. if you want something real easy to do to gain some good power the get a new clutch spark plugs and spray it with a 75 shot. people do this on stock motors to, only trouble ive seen is letting the psi go over 950 and blowing the head gasket or having clutch slips. do what you want and what makes you happy though