Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Flow bench testing the head

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Smile Flow bench testing the head

Well, Pete and I in our spare time have been meeting up outside of work hours to work on some possibilities with the D17 head. We have been playing with a lot of ideas and I think we struck some gold.

Pete, who is a master in the automotive industry on several levels, said let me run with a theory and we will see how it goes. I did let him run with it, only to find out we picked up 73.5 CFM more air flow from just a simple couple of hand ports on the intake and exhaust valves of the D17 head. Pete feels we can get some more, but this is an excellent foundation for the rest of our D17 projects.

I am sure by now you are asking, why is this good? Well, we are now going to see the effects of the stock intake manifold on the system to see how it distributes and kills proper air flow for a forced induction vehicle. This will be used to devise our plan of attack for the intake manifold. In essence, this is laying the ground work for the intake manifold, fuel rail AND camshaft that we will be building.

Just figured I would share.

Also, all results were on stock valves.

Last edited by dezod; 09-14-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
These parts are still quite a long time away from being production ready, correct? Like a year or so?
Old 09-14-2006
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
These parts are still quite a long time away from being production ready, correct? Like a year or so?
The head we will be beta testing next month.

The IM and FR will be later this year Dec or so
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

WilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of light
That much of a change is huge for forced inducted cars. The better the air flow the more we will spank on the streets
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Just curious, how many CFM did it flow stock? I'm just wondering how it compares to other d-series engines.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
Hell Yeah Paul!!!!!!!

This Is Going To Be Sweet Man!!!!
Old 09-14-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Sweet!!!
Old 09-14-2006
diamonds she will pretty much have to

ex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the roughex2k3 is a jewel in the rough
I can't wait to see this!!

I'm going to have to ask the boss for a raise now.
Old 09-14-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Yeah I am very excited and can't wait to offer these bad boys.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dezod
The head we will be beta testing next month.

The IM and FR will be later this year Dec or so

in time for christmas?
Old 09-15-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by bOoStEd042dr
in time for christmas?
Depending on how well the head testing goes.
Old 09-15-2006
Registered!!

Boost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura about
so does this mean youll have to modify your ic pipes for your kit? or is the intake mani your designing still a top inlet?
Old 09-16-2006
7thgen Power Maker

I do not want to begin discussing the intake manifold at this time because it is too early to really say.

Let's keep this thread about the head please. The intake manifold will have it's own when time comes.
Old 09-16-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
would this be something i need to look into on my a2 head before i swap it? ive got an lx and i just picked up an a2 head and vafc2.
Old 09-16-2006
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Originally Posted by scansel912
Just curious, how many CFM did it flow stock? I'm just wondering how it compares to other d-series engines.
?????
Old 09-16-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, stock heads suck ballz.
Old 09-16-2006
Registered!!

I assumed that, but i was trying to get actual numbers.
Old 09-16-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
Y'all never cease to amaze me.
Old 09-18-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Yeah when we are done, I will release the full flow test analysis.
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Sweet, Im having a head done this winter. It will be good to know roughly what to expect. Talking to some people about these heads they seemed to be more concerned with the exhaust side of things for a f/i setup. Can you hint if we are on the right track or do I have to find out the hard way, haha.

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 09-18-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

WilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of light
man i can not wait to see the results.....
Old 09-18-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
Sweet, Im having a head done this winter. It will be good to know roughly what to expect. Talking to some people about these heads they seemed to be more concerned with the exhaust side of things for a f/i setup. Can you hint if we are on the right track or do I have to find out the hard way, haha.
We have played with both, and both seem to restrict quite a bit.
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
k, noted. Thanks Paul. I know you dont wanna spill the beans too much, hehe. Its your baby, you guys deserve lots of credit. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-19-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Yeah no prob Jerry.
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

slow04civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I was told that you can't port and polish the d-17a2 head because of the thin walls I now know this is not true thanks for the info on this.
Old 09-19-2006

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
gear said that...^

he had some problems after he milled his head.

problems to say the least.
Old 09-19-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by 02BLKCIVIC
gear said that...^

he had some problems after he milled his head.

problems to say the least.
Well that could be because of the job done. PnP jobs are easy as hell to mess up especially when you get some guy porting it in his garage with a grinder.
Old 09-19-2006

Im pritty sure his was messed up....

Dont know tho.

wasnt there.

DEZOD RULES!!!

lol.
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

Yeah everyone thinks you can just grab a die grinder and hog it out, tadaa! ported head!. You pretty much HAVE to have a flow bench when messing with a honda head. Im sure there are exceptions but I havent heard of any. Everyone that I know that has tryed to backyard there head has ruined them, not morons either, people that are pretty crafty. They end up getting a new stock head and calling it a day. I guess the trick is going a little at a time, seeing what does what and where to do it. Guys that professionally do heads most likely have a pretty good idea just from looking at a head, where to start.

Last edited by 02fpcivic; 09-19-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2006
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by 02fpcivic
Yeah everyone thinks you can just grab a die grinder and hog it out, tadaa! ported head!. You pretty much HAVE to have a flow bench when messing with a honda head. Im sure there are exceptions but I havent heard of any. Everyone that I know that has tryed to backyard there head has ruined them, not morons either, people that are pretty crafty. They end up getting a new stock head and calling it a day. I guess the trick is going a little at a time, seeing what does what and where to do it. Guys that professionally do heads most likely have a pretty good idea just from looking at a head, where to start.
Exactly. Fortunately, we have a staff of qualified pro's who have been in the industry doing this stuff before most of us, including myself were even alive.

I am no spring chicken either.

Quick Reply: Flow bench testing the head