Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Transmission Durability under boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006
7th Gen Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light
Transmission Durability under boost?

The scary thought of boosting my civic has entered my mind once or twice. However - I had a faulty transmission from Honda. At 30k miles it threw the countershaft bearing. Now, Honda repaired it (twice b/c the first time the tech over tightened something and threw the main shaft, as well as stripping 1st gear).

So I'm at 51k miles now, but with first gear and the main/counter shafts replaced.

How is everyone's transmission holding up to boost? Any bearings starting to go? If I were to turbo, the chances are high I wouldn't boost more than 8psi because it is a daily driver car.

Any testimonials and/or advice is welcome.

One additional question... is there an LSD for the d17 transmission? With all this boosting going on, the one-wheel burnouts and spinning tires on highway ramps must really get annoying.
Old 05-15-2006

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
Im not sure why everyone is so scared of the transmission grenading? I haven't heard of one blowing up yet. Axels... yes tranny no.
Old 05-15-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the tranny is just a pos. look at the thread we have going about problems. and thats without boost. auto doesn't last more than 100k and slips because 90wtq is too much. manual has all kinds of other problem like gear popping, grinding, weird noises, etc. have fun.
Old 05-15-2006
7th Gen Photographer

LogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of lightLogicWavelength is a glorious beacon of light
As I said... my 5spd took a dump on me at 30k miles. Hence why I'm concerned.
Old 05-15-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well 8psi seems like alot to me. even 4psi would do damage. i mean the trans breaks even without any big mods not even pushing the car hard.
Old 05-15-2006
Registered!!

grncivic2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
im going on 60k and no problems at all. lucky me!!!!
Old 05-15-2006
Registered!!

puidokas is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you guys slammin your gears or what. Im at 120000 miles with the stock clutch!! And everything is fine. And im pretty rough with her.
Old 05-15-2006
Premium Member

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
Originally Posted by gearbox
well 8psi seems like alot to me. even 4psi would do damage. i mean the trans breaks even without any big mods not even pushing the car hard.
whoa, hold on there buddy. automatics em2s seem to give more people trouble than manual trannied em2s. look how many turbo manual tranny members have held up fine on here. there's even a few auto boosted boys around with no problems.

Your tranny will hold up fine depending on how you abuse it/dont abuse it. You take care of it, of course it will last longer. Sometimes things happened that can't be explained but overall treat it right and you will be okay. Reinforce the clutch to hold more than the power you want to make and you will be fine.

Add this: talk to turboengnr about the power he put down on a stock trannied/clutch with his turbo setup(s), talk to andyman97 about his 245-/+ hp with the the tranny holding up fine.

Last edited by XSRCivic; 05-15-2006 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-16-2006

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
my tranny hasn't skipped a beat. car has 116k miles and on 10psi.
Old 05-16-2006
Registered!!

Jeromie is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
the tranny is just a pos. look at the thread we have going about problems. and thats without boost. auto doesn't last more than 100k and slips because 90wtq is too much. manual has all kinds of other problem like gear popping, grinding, weird noises, etc. have fun.
yea i dont think so.... i was goin on 100k with boost, auto... no mechanical trouble ....
Old 05-17-2006
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
I haven't had any problems yet. I'm running 10 psi in the summer and 11-12 psi in the winter on a T3, stage 2 wheel, with an after market clutch on a 2002 LX, and I race every weekend.

Last edited by Alex1; 05-17-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
As for the LSD part, there is no D17 one per say, but rumor has it the d16 quaife will fit
Old 05-25-2006
Registered!!

cleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trusted
it will be fine as long as it doesn't take a **** kicking daily
Old 05-28-2006
Registered!!

maxquebec is an unknown quantity at this point
I write a email at Quaife
When i receive a answer i post here
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Yeah honda transmissions are not as reliable as they used to be. There are more lemons.

My friends rsx base auto has 80k and his trans is going. He never launches it or anything, and only drove is semi hard on the highway for the first 40k miles.
Old 05-30-2006
Registered!!

maxquebec is an unknown quantity at this point
the answer from Quaife
Hello,
Yes this differential will fit your car.
Just need to confirm that the bearings that support the differential are 40 mm. in diameter.
I look forward to your confirmation.
Sincerely.
Rafael Santiago.
Quaife America

Now the question is what size for bearings that support the differential
If 40 mm is good
If you have the answer
Post it Please