Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Need help from turbo people

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nova4dr_racer is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help from turbo people

Aight guys.. I need all ur opinions .. let this thread go 20 pages long .. I need advice from turbo or people planning on going turbo... this is the deal I got..

We have a turbo kit for a D series Honda Civic, that we want to test for mass production. We will give you the kit and installation for 2300$ tax-in.
The kit included everything, Turbo, piping, intercooler, fuel pressure regulator and everything needed to make it work. The kit will be good to run 8PSI.The car will be dyno tuned for ultimate performances and realiability. We will need the car on few occasion for R&D. That's a pretty sweet deal for those of you who want to go turbo!

BTW thats in Canadian money so thats about 1900 U$. I went to their shop today and we agreed on them keeping the car for a week in january. The trickey part is when I asked them whos responsible for any damages to the car: Anything that occurs during instalation is our proublem but after the instalation, we are not responsible for any damage that could occur.

let me know what u think ...
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

mrstocks is an unknown quantity at this point
good price
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Is there a fuel rail included/ 400cc injectors? If u dont get a completely new fuel system u r usually getting into trouble. I think
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

I doubt that the injectors are included. I could always buy the rsx s injectors and ask him to put them but my MPG will drop massivly .. is it worth it? The psi will be between 6 and 8.
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Certanly it will be asked many times...

What exactly included in the kit???
List of components, please.
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
Dezod said that the stock injectors could only handle 2-3psi so that's why I brought it up.... what type of turbo? BB? Stainless?
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kyle23
Dezod said that the stock injectors could only handle 2-3psi so that's why I brought it up.... what type of turbo? BB? Stainless?
I suppose I should change my injectors .. thx
turbo is in stainless

Last edited by nova4dr_racer; 11-11-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 03-Acura-1.7-EL
Certanly it will be asked many times...

What exactly included in the kit???
List of components, please.

I forgot to ask him while I was there so I mailed him to write the full list .. from why I saw its basic ..

Internal waste gate
all piping (no cat backm I have to buy one and hell install)
intercooler (removable for winter (he told me that the piping goes through the intercooler so its removable in winter)
fuel pressure regulator
I'm not sure but isnt a BOV concidered necessary?
Hoses, Gaskets & Clamps

No turbo timer or boost controller included but hell install them if I want them (hes gonna charge me normal labor for that though)
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
intercooler (removable for winter (he told me that the piping goes through the intercooler so its removable in winter)
Why would you want remove IC for the winter?
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

simple to not damage it from salt or rocks that may hit it.. thats what the guy told me.
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Get references!
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

what do you mean? I dont care leaving it on but if I could take it out ... why leave it on during our famous canadian winters?
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by nova4dr_racer
what do you mean? I dont care leaving it on but if I could take it out ... why leave it on during our famous canadian winters?
Get references for the shop thats doing the work! Don't sound like a good deal by me!
Old 11-11-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
I forgot to ask him while I was there so I mailed him to write the full list .. from why I saw its basic ..

Internal waste gate
all piping (no cat backm I have to buy one and hell install)
fuel pressure regulator
I'm not sure but isnt a BOV concidered necessary?
Hoses, Gaskets & Clamps

No turbo timer or boost controller included but hell install them if I want them (hes gonna charge me normal labor for that though)

FPR won't help. Returnless system.??
Manifold?
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

the shop is Trac racing depot.
They are very well known around here. For the name I shouldnt worry. Anyone from Canada Montreal or from the surroundings knows the place
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

simple to not damage it from salt or rocks that may hit it.. thats what the guy told me.
Dumb idea.....
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

aight to tell you guys the truth, I'm not much of a Turbo expert, if I was, I probably wouldnt be asking advice. If you say its a dumb idea ill just keep it but why keep it on in winter if ill only be damagin it? For the full part list, the guy is going to send it to me on monday.. so I'll keep you guys informed. The next call ill receive from them is in the end of december for me to bring them my car for the full setup. So I want to know whats the risks I have.. I didnt rlly ask many questions cuz im not an expert and i didnt wanna sound like a idiot saying wtv.. thats why im asking u guys .. so any help would be apreciated
Old 11-11-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
If it sounds to good to be true, it prolly is! IMO do it the right way with proper fuel system or dont bother. Fuel system is easily the most important part of a turbo system.
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

hmmm i see .. by that you dont just mean the injectors but the fuel rail also? Like I said the list will be sent to me monday, so I wont jump to conclusions but since they have a big reputation here i do not suppose they would screw up since their business is all bout turbos and swaps
Old 11-12-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm i see .. by that you dont just mean the injectors but the fuel rail also? Like I said the list will be sent to me monday, so I wont jump to conclusions but since they have a big reputation here i do not suppose they would screw up since their business is all bout turbos and swaps
A proper fuel system would include rsx injectors, E-manage, all harnesses, and boost sensor. This alone would cost close to $1,000 with new injectors- $650 used injectors, not to mention labor. Im sure you could get by with much less. But if you want a safe reliable system dont skimp on the fuel! Our fuel rail can flow more fuel than any street driven d17 will ever need. Then if you convert to return style fuel system figure on adding on another $500+ and labor on that! and i would HIGHLY recommend getting a wideband AFR guage thats an easy $400-550. Add those basic items up and your looking at well over $2,000 with labor! And you dont even have a turbo yet!
Old 11-12-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
all that you listed isnt nescessary though. granted you know alot more than me about turbo's but from what ive learned you wouldnt need a return fuel system unless your looking to make some serious gains and the wideband he doesnt need because he can just get the emanage tuned at a dyno with one and for daily observance of a/f a regular one would probably suit him. and up the price on the emanage and injectors package, i got the exact lil collection of parts you listed for that and with used injectors for 100 and all the greddy stuff for 38% off i paid about 650 ish.

edit: so as i forgot to say, i agree with tfnaaf. although i dont think some of those are nescesary, having a turbo kit will pose more problems and costs than you immediately know. i bought my kit for cheap thinking i could slap it on, uhuh the proper way is upgrade everything that will be put to test even a little. new head bolts,gasket,clutch,motormount inserts, emanage with all harnesses and the sensor plus injectors, new exhaust.......pretty much i learned right away to do it the right way from the start, you not only will have a better running setup but youll optimize potential output.

Last edited by ncirom2003; 11-12-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-13-2005
Registered!!

Another guy/girl....
Another same story.....
Do you want boost???
You can get boost for free if you want.
Steal a civic with turbo and put it on your car....
...That's what I call dreaming....
Welcome to real life: If you drive 7th gen, you cant boost it for less than $3k canadian, unless you get parts at dealers cost. Buy a whole kit and dont have no one manipulating you and taking your money away from you.
Old 11-13-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

Correct i didnt want it to sound like all that was NEEDED but would be the "proper way" to do it and be reliable. The wideband guage is more of a tool that lets you know how its running at any given point. Im sure if you paid to have it properly tuned and you lived in a climate that had very littel tempature weather change than the wideband would be pretty useless to have

Originally Posted by ncirom2003
all that you listed isnt nescessary though. granted you know alot more than me about turbo's but from what ive learned you wouldnt need a return fuel system unless your looking to make some serious gains and the wideband he doesnt need because he can just get the emanage tuned at a dyno with one and for daily observance of a/f a regular one would probably suit him. and up the price on the emanage and injectors package, i got the exact lil collection of parts you listed for that and with used injectors for 100 and all the greddy stuff for 38% off i paid about 650 ish.

edit: so as i forgot to say, i agree with tfnaaf. although i dont think some of those are nescesary, having a turbo kit will pose more problems and costs than you immediately know. i bought my kit for cheap thinking i could slap it on, uhuh the proper way is upgrade everything that will be put to test even a little. new head bolts,gasket,clutch,motormount inserts, emanage with all harnesses and the sensor plus injectors, new exhaust.......pretty much i learned right away to do it the right way from the start, you not only will have a better running setup but youll optimize potential output.
Old 11-13-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
ehhh.........i think you should research some things more to know what you are getting into.
Old 11-13-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by civic01vtec
ehhh.........i think you should research some things more to know what you are getting into.
amen to that!
just three months ago i barely knew anything about turbos at all but i just researched my *** off and read everything i could even if it wasnt about our cars so now i know alot more.
Old 11-13-2005
Registered!!

Ok guys dont exagerate .. I might not be a turbo expert but I still know how not to get screwed. When I asked people from Montreal (where I live) about that shop.. they all told me that they are a respectable shop and I could trust them. Now the reason I made this thread is mostly to know what to ask the guy and all cuz i have until january.. and btw I did search a lot .. just that u dont learn all these things in a week. tmr ill be posting the list of part I will be getting .. so lets wait till then to jump to any conclusions.
Old 11-13-2005
Registered!!

the shop is Trac racing depot.
They are very well known around here. For the name I shouldnt worry. Anyone from Canada Montreal or from the surroundings knows the place
I would still talk to people that have had work done there!
guess i just don't trust people!
Old 11-13-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
If you are running 6-8 psi and are inexperienced, you dont want a boost controller. you do absolutely want a good fuel system, and a good way to keep the car consistently in tune. You cant slap any old turbo kit on these cars, crank it up and go. These guys that said to look into it more before you do it arent saying that to be jerks. They, as well as myself have climbed many hurdles to get things to function properly. If they are prototyping their own fuel system and all that, chances are you will get the car back, and continually be going back to them over an extended period of time to work out the bugs. And thats if you dont wind up with a blown engine. You cant slap a prototype on and expect it to be perfect after one week, take that into account. Nothing is free my friend.
Old 11-13-2005
Registered!!

all right, ill consider verifying if anyone has already tried that out b4... thx for the advice! I read the Turbo Faq and I understood what type of material ill need for my fuel system.. I dont think they will be testing their own type of fuel system .. they dont even wanna make a custom cat back just to give u an idea.. the only product they made is full turbo kit. By reading the turbo FAQ, i realised that turbos are way more complexe than I thought hehe. I'll be checking more into that and keep everyone updated .. anyone has any questions I could ask the guy to know more or less if his stuff is quality .. the price I got (2300) is basicly the full turbo setup.. what Im getting for free in the end is the tune up and the dynos. When I asked him : what if your turbo make damage to my car? His answer was simple: there isnt a bad turbo .. with proper tune up u shouldnt have to worry!
Old 11-14-2005
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
"with proper tune up u shouldnt have to worry!" hahahahahahahaha sorry to laugh dude but just wait, lol. Maybe everything will go perfect for you IDK. I cant see how though, nothing is ever simple with a D17.

Quick Reply: Need help from turbo people