Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Some help with choosing and piecing together for turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005
There is gl@ss in my @SS...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
Some help with choosing and piecing together for turbo

Well i'm researching on turbo and can't seem to find what i'm looking for. i have an 02 EX Manual and i preparing for turbo. Hopefully January i will start buying stuff for it.

I have been told that if i run a regular intercooler i will lose my windshield washer fluid resevoir, which i'm fine with. But then i've also been told i will lose other stuff too. But then someone else has told me that i wouldn't lose anything (AC, Washer Resevoir). Dezods Garrett Intercooler has the piping on one side and i was told it would work. But i'm not a big fan of that intercooler. I'm looking more into the Johnny Race Car, SF, and TSI intercooler, with custom piping. Will i lose anything by doing this?

With SLP's manifold and downpipe will i still need the extension?
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

leonhsieh is an unknown quantity at this point
You will not lose anything. If u want the intercooler such as Tsi or Johnny Race Car, you have to route the piping under the car or do hyaboosta's way.
Old 10-19-2005

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
I was also told that you can run it up the side, but no pics or anything to show how to do that. I like hyaboosta way, in one of the pics it says "problem" so i'm wondering how he line the piping up with the turbo cause you can tell its off.
Old 10-19-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
tsi kit loses only washer fluid, but you can make/buy a new one thats small enough to mount in the space left by the stock intake system.
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ncirom2003
tsi kit loses only washer fluid, but you can make/buy a new one thats small enough to mount in the space left by the stock intake system.
I have to disagree with you on this.
With TSI FMIC you dont loose anything from abs, washer, p/s or a/c
I installed kit myself and had not have to remove or relocate.
Only drawback with TSI piping is left tire rubs against on the of IC pipes while making tight right turn. Not affecting daly driving at all.
Old 10-19-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 03-Acura-1.7-EL
I have to disagree with you on this.
With TSI FMIC you dont loose anything from abs, washer, p/s or a/c
I installed kit myself and had not have to remove or relocate.
Only drawback with TSI piping is left tire rubs against on the of IC pipes while making tight right turn. Not affecting daly driving at all.
???? how do you disagree you said the same thing i did.
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ncirom2003
You've said with TSI you need to relocate washertank.
I'm saing you dont need to. TSI piping goes underneath it.
So, I did not say what you have said.
Old 10-19-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
abmerop18 has his intercooler piping run on both sides and only lost windshield washer fluid.
Old 10-19-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
If you buy a FMIC with both connections on the same end, you can run both pipes on passenger side only. Being he has an EX he would have trouble running on drivers side with the ABS there
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drew22mader
Well i'm researching on turbo and can't seem to find what i'm looking for. i have an 02 EX Manual and i preparing for turbo. Hopefully January i will start buying stuff for it.

I have been told that if i run a regular intercooler i will lose my windshield washer fluid resevoir, which i'm fine with. But then i've also been told i will lose other stuff too. But then someone else has told me that i wouldn't lose anything (AC, Washer Resevoir). Dezods Garrett Intercooler has the piping on one side and i was told it would work. But i'm not a big fan of that intercooler. I'm looking more into the Johnny Race Car, SF, and TSI intercooler, with custom piping. Will i lose anything by doing this?

With SLP's manifold and downpipe will i still need the extension?
562-403-7039, ask for Jason
This is phone # for TSI. You can call them and order intercooler and/or intercoller piping for your car. This will help you to work out your dilemma.

p.s. again, understand, go easy route, with TSI IC piping you wont have to, I repeat, you wont be touching things as ABS, P/S, A/C or washer bottle. pipeas rout easily without any modifications or major cutting (some basic plastic to be trimmed).
Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

Boombox is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 03-Acura-1.7-EL
562-403-7039, ask for Jason
This is phone # for TSI. You can call them and order intercooler and/or intercoller piping for your car. This will help you to work out your dilemma.

p.s. again, understand, go easy route, with TSI IC piping you wont have to, I repeat, you wont be touching things as ABS, P/S, A/C or washer bottle. pipeas rout easily without any modifications or major cutting (some basic plastic to be trimmed).
All right, I've now got boost as of 9:36 pm PST 10/19/05 on my 04 EX. I bought and built every thing seperate and by hand my self. I've had the front end off my ride enough times to know that a side to side intercooler WILL NOT WORK! What we need is a top to bottom intercooler and run all the piping on the passenger side of the vehicle.

"How do you like them apples?!?!?"
Old 10-20-2005

Boombox, then why is that people say you can run one without losing anything?
Old 10-20-2005

So if i go with the TSI IC and TSI Piping, i can still piece together everything i want right? Like i'm going to use Street Level Performance SFP Manifold and downpipe, will this still work with the TSI piping?
Old 10-20-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
So if i go with the TSI IC and TSI Piping, i can still piece together everything i want right? Like i'm going to use Street Level Performance SFP Manifold and downpipe, will this still work with the TSI piping?
The turbo to FMIC pipe will prolly need to be modified to accomidate the different trubo and manifold. And yes a side to side FMIC WILL work on an EX with TSI of a LX/DX witht eh W/W bottle removed as mine is. Check my signature if you have doubts!
Old 10-20-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Boombox
All right, I've now got boost as of 9:36 pm PST 10/19/05 on my 04 EX. I bought and built every thing seperate and by hand my self. I've had the front end off my ride enough times to know that a side to side intercooler WILL NOT WORK! What we need is a top to bottom intercooler and run all the piping on the passenger side of the vehicle.

"How do you like them apples?!?!?"

There are people running it. You can also use an intercooler with both outlets on the passenger side...
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

Also, you might want to look into pic galleries of member's rides, you will probably get some visual on your questions.
I know for the fact member 2k1civcgabe has pics of TSI piping, search for him, he has line 4000+ posts on this site
..with TSI piping you will probably need a new/modified downpipe and may be some kind of extention or something for your turbo on compressor side.
But you wont have to modisy anything if you go with TSI mani / turbine and downpipe elbow pipe.
ask me if needed...
Old 10-20-2005

I don't wanna go with the TSI turbocharger, i really wanted the Turbonetics T3 Super 60...SLP said he has a manifold and downpipe for me and he said they didn't lose anything with there setup.
Old 10-20-2005

I contacted Jason from TSI, he said that the IC and piping would allow me to run a IC with inlet on one side and outlet on the other without losing anything. I contacted turbokits.com about just the intercooler and piping and they said $900 for both. $450 for IC and and $450 for piping. I think i'm going to go ahead and do that. Unless someone has a better idea or thinks i should get a different intercooler.
Old 10-20-2005
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
IT WILL WORK if the correct measures are takin

<<--THIS PERSON HAS IT WORKING
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

Ask tsi on size of their IC and buy a generic one instead. $450 for IC sounds expensive
Old 10-20-2005
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
dont say you cant do it. Because ive done it several times.
Old 10-21-2005

So i was told that the TSI kit has a rubber hose for the intake pipe....Anyone know if all of the TSI piping is like this?
Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

So i was told that the TSI kit has a rubber hose for the intake pipe....Anyone know if all of the TSI piping is like this?
Yes and no, mostly no.
only rubber material on the intake is the part that actualy connects pipe to throttle body and liltle rubber insert to connect BOV.
Its all made of heavy duty stuff, wont blow or crack, looks similar to rad hoses.
Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

Boombox is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by tfnaaf
The turbo to FMIC pipe will prolly need to be modified to accomidate the different trubo and manifold. And yes a side to side FMIC WILL work on an EX with TSI of a LX/DX witht eh W/W bottle removed as mine is. Check my signature if you have doubts!
If you look at tfnaaf install pics you'll notice that he dosn't have ABS. On an EX (at least an 04) the ABS sits on the driver's fender well right where you would bring the return pipe from the IC up from the bottom of the car. I say again, a side to side IC WILL NOT WORK.
Old 10-21-2005
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boombox
If you look at tfnaaf install pics you'll notice that he dosn't have ABS. On an EX (at least an 04) the ABS sits on the driver's fender well right where you would bring the return pipe from the IC up from the bottom of the car. I say again, a side to side IC WILL NOT WORK.
what are u the turbo know it all, i assume u have just created the perfect turbo kit for our cars. bc right now ur not selling to many when ur telling multiple people with side to side IC that HAVE IT and HAVE IT WORKING that its NOT GOING TO WORK.

pipes are pipes. AND THEY BEND AND GO WHATEVER WAY U WANT THEM
Old 10-21-2005

03-Acura 1.7, is it possible to replace the rubber hosing with aluminum to match?
Boombox, i talked to Street Level Performance, they have an EX in the shop with the TSI intercooler and piping and didn't lose anything. Try reading up before you go and tell EVERYONE that it can't be done. People have it done, but your telling them they can't.

I was looking at gauges too, the 2 gauges i like both but neither have an Air Fuel gauge. The Autometer Nexus and the DEFI Link Meter BF in red. I want my stuff to match. Both don't have A/F. But do have Boost and EGT. Is there anything else i would need? I know a Wideband A/F really is the way to go.

Last edited by drew22mader; 10-21-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by C2i0v0i1C
what are u the turbo know it all, i assume u have just created the perfect turbo kit for our cars. bc right now ur not selling to many when ur telling multiple people with side to side IC that HAVE IT and HAVE IT WORKING that its NOT GOING TO WORK.

pipes are pipes. AND THEY BEND AND GO WHATEVER WAY U WANT THEM
^^ as he said
You can do anything with pipes!
TSI pipes are very light, made of some aluminised metal.
Strong too.