Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

VAFC 2 tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
VAFC 2 tuning help

I am just looking for a bit of help to tune the VAFC 2 with my new turbo setup. I plan on getting the AEM EMS down the line rather than the E-manage because i plan to build the internals and the EMS will be better for tuning. but anyways i currently have a VAFC 2 to run my vtec hi/lo change because i have a dx ecu. I have the SF fuel system with my kit. I am just looking for a little help on what to set the air/fuel ratios to until i get the EMS. I plan on running 6-8 PSI with the current setup i have.
Old 08-28-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
there is no way anyone can tell you that. every car and setup is different, and you need the dyno to see a/f.
Old 08-28-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
yeah i realize this just any idea on what kind of perctanges so i can start to tue it before i install. i don't have dyno access, so just looking for some kind of prectenges of other peoples gains and in what rpms ranges, so i can adjust mine accordingly. just to gove me a rough idea. i will not be able to get the ems for about 2 months.
Old 08-28-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
running both the SF FMU and VAFC will be a crapshoot since there's so many variables involved
Old 08-28-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

you think it would be better to not tune at all with the VAFC 2 and use only the SF?
Old 08-28-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i thought that was the whole point of the sf fmu. Supposed to be a standalone but not really that great.
Old 08-28-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

yeah the only reason i really need the vafc 2 is for the vtec hi/lo cam. i think i will set everything to nothign and tune with just the SF until ican get the AEM EMS
Old 08-28-2005
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ajhdragon
yeah the only reason i really need the vafc 2 is for the vtec hi/lo cam. i think i will set everything to nothign and tune with just the SF until ican get the AEM EMS
If you already have SF fuel set up, then vafc is just a nice looking unit on the dash = christmas light..
What you say you already have fuel set up, so why to make things more complicated without any need to it?
Old 08-28-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
You can either just run the SF fmu or use the vafc and get a set of rsx-s injectors and get it dyno tuned.

IMO....i wouldn't mess with the vtec engagement settings. Leave them at the stock settings.
Old 08-29-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
i know we cant adjust our ignition timming but tons of people tune with the vafc or safc and save for something better. U will be fine for now.
Old 08-29-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin

Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
something to remind people why NOT to run a VAFC on your boosted 7thgen

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171315
Old 08-29-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
^ so how come my friend brother tunes most of his cars (some budget others not) mostly with the safc and vafc? And some of his cars have been boosted making over 280 and still are running fine. I read it and understood it but come on. These things have been here forever and if they didnt work then why does most of the people on the track and street use them? I know that ems/emanage haltech etc are way better but not everyone has the money for it. Not trying to be rude, but it can be done.
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by allmotor
^ so how come my friend brother tunes most of his cars (some budget others not) mostly with the safc and vafc? And some of his cars have been boosted making over 280 and still are running fine. I read it and understood it but come on. These things have been here forever and if they didnt work then why does most of the people on the track and street use them? I know that ems/emanage haltech etc are way better but not everyone has the money for it. Not trying to be rude, but it can be done.

Many people run this set up.
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

mxcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DIZZLE
Many people run this set up.

yep man people, actually i ask for some setting for my kit too cause im in mexico and theres no way to tune here .... there is no dynos the nearest is in tucosn az and im scare to drive it w/o tune it ...
Old 08-30-2005
Wicked Pissah Admin

Well if you read the link you would realize that what was said is that those electronic manipulators modify the MAP sensor signal to trick the ECU ON A 7THGEN. When this is done, it adds timing to the motor, which you can NOT take out with a VAFC, etc.

Can it be used on a 7thgen if you're on a budget? Yes. Do you need other precautions because of the timing added? Bet your ***.

He uses it on other vehicles? I'm sure since pulling timing out of other motors is a shitload easier than pulling timing on a 7thgen. Read my post fully: "why NOT to run a VAFC on your boosted 7thgen." Attention to detail.

But hey, if you want to run it, have fun. Just offering some advice for the newer people in this forum that may not be aware of some of opto's posts and knowledge....
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

BudDyLeEBoOsteD has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I am just looking for a bit of help to tune the VAFC 2 with my new turbo setup. I plan on getting the AEM EMS down the line rather than the E-manage because i plan to build the internals and the EMS will be better for tuning. but anyways i currently have a VAFC 2 to run my vtec hi/lo change because i have a dx ecu. I have the SF fuel system with my kit. I am just looking for a little help on what to set the air/fuel ratios to until i get the EMS. I plan on running 6-8 PSI with the current setup i have.

I ran mine with just S-AFC II....
but offcourse w/ return line and bigger injectors....
I dinoed mine, and tunned it to the RPM's..... You can tune it for 2 stages...
You have the Full Throttle RPM's and you have Low Throttle RPMs...
The only thing is that if you get Emange you get it to perfect tune... With SAFC you either run Rich or your Run Lean..... I was runing costant 10's and 11's./. Pretty Rich....
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
any more input on running vafc on their 7thgen?
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
yeah u will screw the engine up if u try to tune the VFAC II without a dyno. I know that u said that u have no access to a dyno but your riskin engine failure if u mess with the engagement settings without tuning the a/f as well. There is alot more on the VFAC II than just the engagement. I tried to tune it myself and I was lost. If u turn the engagement too low the engine boggs out and u will start going down from, there leave it alone and find a dyno and have it done right.
Old 12-01-2005
Registered!!

Logan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to allLogan3024 is a name known to all
Hey guys, Ive been doing some datalogging with Emanage Vs V-AFC. I found that the Vafc is MUCH easier to tune with. E-Manage is A good product, but i was have a VERY difficult time tuning at partial throttle and Light loads (or i guess in closed loop operation).

Emanage with the Injector correction feature did not do to well according to my A/F ratio's. It seems as if the E-manage sends a signal, that the ECU IMMEDIATLY trys to correct. As a result you get a choppy reading like this one.

However, switching to the Vafc i was able to "fine tune" to get my perfect cruise A/F ratios

Now under WOT, i found them both about the same to tune, tuning in open loop is VERY easy. Here a 3rd gear WOT pull from 1800-7000 with the VAFC

If anyone needs help with VAFC tuning PM me and ill help you out the best i can.
Old 12-03-2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
well i can help you get there but from there its all up to you..

first thing your gonna need at least is a a/f guage in your car
next your gonna need a nive open road with no obstuctionz

what your gonna do is floor it in 2nd from about 2000 to redline...
heres the catch... as soon as you see it going into the lean/rich look at your rpm where its going lean/rich and let off the gas.. adjust fuel ratio in the vafc2 at that rpm range accordingly and repeat.. this in general wil get you close to a good a/f... but it can never beat a dyno tune
Old 12-03-2005
Premium Member

does that work without flooring it too?
Old 12-03-2005

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
well you only need to tune it on full throttle cause when you are at partial throttle you ecu goes into the so called SMART mode where it automatically adjusts accordingly.. thats why you see you a/f guage bounce up and down during partial throttle... now when you go full throttle your ecu pulls up a set of fuel maps... thats where you need the correction to be at anyways..
Old 12-03-2005
Premium Member

at full throttle, the ecu locks in the last known value. And what about with a turbo at partial throttle?
Old 12-03-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
at full throttle, the ecu locks in the last known value. And what about with a turbo at partial throttle?
i read a few theories about that.. but for some reason when i was turboed and ran on the dyno we could never prove that.. it was always consistent run after run... we tried different things to try and lock it at the last known value but it didnt work out that way...

as for partial throttle your not really boosting... and you shouldnt be that high up in the rpms to begin with at partial throttle... on the other hand though like i was saying earlier at partial throttle the ecu takes over and corrects the a/f itself
Old 12-03-2005
Premium Member

oh so the turbo only works at full throttle then?
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

puidokas is an unknown quantity at this point
the turbo is always working
Old 12-03-2005
Premium Member

oh but its not creating any boost?
Old 12-03-2005
Registered!!

Depends on what turbo. My turbo makes boost at 15% throttle.
Old 12-04-2005

turbo size and trim all have a play in when your boost kicks in and how much boost int can handle.. also different setups will kick in under different situations.. some setups will start boosting at 3000 roms while some will at 4000 or so forth... thats why no 2 setups are the same....