Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Backfiring normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Backfiring normal?

I was just wondering if some backfiring from the exhaust is normal. My car does it. Usually when high boost, or when I put the car in neutral after driving, it will for a sec. I hear this on srt4's, sti's, other turbo'd cars all the time. It sounds normal for a FI motor?? Am I right, or wrong? If not, would you think its running rich. The smoke that comes out when shifting is a greyish, so that should be fine. as long as it isnt white or black??
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

SODJAZERO is an unknown quantity at this point
I hear it from mycar when i punch hard from 1st gear. . .
Old 06-07-2005

so it would be normal?
Old 06-07-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
No it is not. That is a sign of tuning needing to be done.
Old 06-07-2005

I was wondering. I havent driven my car much in the last month. And the weathers changed about 50 degrees. I need another tune, but was wondering why every srt4 and other factory boosted cars are backfiring as well. Doesnt make sense.

Isnt backfiring cause by extra fuel being burned in the exhaust, or in the IM (which is terrible for our car seeing as how its plastic)
Old 06-07-2005
7thgen Power Maker

dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
I was wondering. I havent driven my car much in the last month. And the weathers changed about 50 degrees. I need another tune, but was wondering why every srt4 and other factory boosted cars are backfiring as well. Doesnt make sense.

Isnt backfiring cause by extra fuel being burned in the exhaust, or in the IM (which is terrible for our car seeing as how its plastic)
With that drastic of a temp change additional tuning is defintiely needed. The fuel atomizes differently and burns differently at different temps causing 'hicups' like that.
Old 06-07-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
i have it too but i still need more tuning
Old 06-07-2005

Originally Posted by dezod
With that drastic of a temp change additional tuning is defintiely needed. The fuel atomizes differently and burns differently at different temps causing 'hicups' like that.
yeah, I have to get tuned at least twice a year here. A wideband a/f is gonna be my next mod, lol. Im happy I dont have to drive it much right now, and I will only boost at night, since it cools down drastically (to the temp at which I got tuned)

Michalo knows, hell have to get tuned just as much as me, hehe.

My car doesnt backfire nearly as much as most cars I hear. Only half the time, and not too bad most the time, its very quiet, doesnt mean it isnt bad though.
Old 06-07-2005
this has been an atl01 production..

atl01 will become famous soon enough
No it is not. That is a sign of tuning needing to be done.
My car does it and it is tuned with K-pro in fact i have had it tuned twice. Mine only does it at idle, It sound like a WRX when at idle it has a funny bubbling sound come out of the exhaust.
Old 06-07-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by atl01
My car does it and it is tuned with K-pro in fact i have had it tuned twice. Mine only does it at idle, It sound like a WRX when at idle it has a funny bubbling sound come out of the exhaust.
Everytime there are drastic temp, altitude or humidity changes more tunign is needed. You in essence need different maps for every season.
Old 06-08-2005

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
Yeah like dezod said. It should be smooth and no bogging, smoke or backfiring.
Old 06-08-2005
this has been an atl01 production..

atl01 will become famous soon enough
Hey, HyaBoosta did you ever get the e-manage up and running that i sold you? I so how is it running?
Old 06-08-2005
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
Hey dezod what is your daily psi right now? Prototype wrecked his tranny at 8psi...
Old 06-08-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by WhiteCastle
Hey dezod what is your daily psi right now? Prototype wrecked his tranny at 8psi...
Vac now.

The 7thgen was sold back in February.
Old 06-08-2005

I have another question. How do cars that are factory turbo'd not need tuning every season?? Does it adjust by temp, or do they just run it rich? My friend and I were wondering this.
Old 06-10-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
my guess is that their ecu's are programmed to input data and output response based on that data. Much like the stock ECU on our cars. Our ECU's don't do that, because our only means of tuning (besides aem ems) is to piggy back...and these piggy-back devices cannot compensate for these changes in climate and atmosphere.
Old 06-10-2005
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
tuning owns all
Old 06-10-2005

Originally Posted by C2i0v0i1C
tuning owns all
hell yeah it does. But how can factory turbo'd cars go without it every season? Im thinking it adjusts automatically by temp and conditions??
Old 06-10-2005
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
hell yeah it does. But how can factory turbo'd cars go without it every season? Im thinking it adjusts automatically by temp and conditions??
thats the beauty of factory
Old 06-10-2005
7thgen Power Maker

Originally Posted by C2i0v0i1C
thats the beauty of factory
Yes indeed.

Sophisticated algorithms used in conjunction with MAF, KV, BARO, MAP and/or knock sensors with also TPS, O2, AIT, OT readings to accomodate for a *almost* normal running condition despite weather, altitude, octane etc.

Ahhhh the joys of a stock turbo'd car.
Old 06-10-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
my car backfires now after i took my turbo kit off. NA setup now. sounds like freakin gun shots going off. stupid car.
Old 06-10-2005

Yes indeed.

Sophisticated algorithms used in conjunction with MAF, KV, BARO, MAP and/or knock sensors with also TPS, O2, AIT, OT readings to accomodate for a *almost* normal running condition despite weather, altitude, octane etc.

Ahhhh the joys of a stock turbo'd car.
damn. pretty sophisticated ****. lol I figured it adjusts for different conditions. I didnt know if they ran it rich from the factory, but that wouldnt make much sense.
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

BudDyLeEBoOsteD has a little shameless behaviour in the past
YES TUNNIN will show if its good or bad....... Backfiring.. could mean as many bad things as it could be good...
Mine did but that was cuz i was runnin like 11's and sometimes 10.9's on my O2 Charts./.. when it backfired,, I trough out Black smoke from the exahust > GAS/RICH
I luved it though.. haha

It made it look like if it was as strong as a SUPRA>. they do it all the time..

Its was only when I was in boost... When i drove normal. it never did it!..
Old 06-12-2005

My neighbors 10.5 sec car backfires a hell of a lot. its got 750 rwhp, blown. its sick as hell. its a Formula as he calls it (looks like a new trans am)
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

BigE19 has a spectacular aura aboutBigE19 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by exturbo6
my car backfires now after i took my turbo kit off. NA setup now. sounds like freakin gun shots going off. stupid car.
I was just about to make a post. My car back fires occasionally. But i'm NA and never had any forced induction in my engine. Just intake and exhaust.

I was downtown and my car backfired, people were screaming gunshots!! Some guy I over heard saying "**** hes gotta have alot of power to make it backfire like that"

I just put my head down and whispered to myself my car is ghetto.
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

Boost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura about
on certain cars it can happen with simple mods, take for example the wrx/sti, all you need is an atmospheric bov and a tbe and vioala you have after fire...

your just not burning all the fuel and running rich for an instant and it hits your hot exhaust tip and kablamo!! tune
Old 06-16-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BigE19
I was just about to make a post. My car back fires occasionally. But i'm NA and never had any forced induction in my engine. Just intake and exhaust.

I was downtown and my car backfired, people were screaming gunshots!! Some guy I over heard saying "**** hes gotta have alot of power to make it backfire like that"

I just put my head down and whispered to myself my car is ghetto.

its funny. i was in the holand tunnel and my car backfired and that **** echod load as ****. lol it was crazy.
Old 06-16-2005
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
So why not just get like an AEM EFI were you can pre tune your car for seasons, save the data package on you computer, and then ever season instead of tuning it, just swap the pakage out? in the end wouldnt that save money?
Old 06-16-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Can't you do that with the E-01 boost controller? Mine has little memory cards but i havent found where they sell other ones.