Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Turbo and Nitrous on stock internals

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005
im stock now! T.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
Turbo and Nitrous on stock internals

has anyone in this site have ever tried turbo'ing your car and squeezing nitrous.
im currently squeezing 80 shot but I want to get turbo since its like 2 grand thought it was roughly 3.5 grand but used ones are 2.
Im thinking of running around 8 psi with stock internals and lowering my nitrous shot to 40 which is lowest mine goes because of limited supply of jet sizes.
im not familiar with turbo although i know some stuff, i could probably maintain my nitrous better than my turbo (if I get it)
my friend had turbo and nitrous on his teg and he told me he blew his motor quite often. this guy had money so he still went on with it now he has a fixed up supra and dont need turbo and nos to be fast.
anyways, i made up my mind and going turbo realllllllll soon. should i sell my nitrous kit or use it in conjunction with my turbo? i think turbo will be enough but for those occassions that you see a sick *** car to race, i might spray. i just want to know from other people if turbo/nos on completely stock internals will last?
thanks for any advice in advance.

forgot to add, i want a turbo kit cause nos is cheap power and sometimes scary ****. ive been lucky to go about 10 bottle fill-ups with no problems. i dont want a bottle full of pressure everywhere i go so that is why im going turbo real soon.

Last edited by Civic_RedLine; 04-24-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-24-2005
Desperate Custom Swapper Speed Freak

vtecd17 is an unknown quantity at this point
First off turbo is NOT 2k. You'd be lucky to find a kit for 2K. You need to get fuel management aka VAFC-Emanage...Tuning, Install....Turbo run you AT LEAST 4K all together. N I wouldn't spray Nitrous if your turbo, you'll blow your engine to hell, and then some.
Old 04-24-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
that was just funny. People say no more than 8psi on stock motor, now you want to run that and spray. I would get alchy injection or something other than nitrous to get a little more out of a turbo. And yeah, even with a complete kit, expect to pay at least 5-6000. I got the TSI Extreme Kit for 2600 shipped, and have spent over 5000 easily.
Old 04-24-2005

oh yeah, you can use the nitrous to spool up the turbo. but thats about it.
Old 04-24-2005
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
N2O also cools the intake charge and helps reduce the chance of detonation. So spraying and turbo at a modest level is a good idea. Maybe a 30hp spray, and 5-6psi boost?
Old 04-24-2005

that would be more acceptable. I wouldnt boost 8 lbs. Maybe 5 psi, and 30 shot? That would be better. Good idea. My clutch slips at 8lbs anyways. Im getting an exedy organic next week though. That will be nice with a resurfaced flywheel
Old 04-24-2005

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Turbo + nitrous only for racing application.
If you want to do it on an everyday car and with stock internals you will have cathastrophic reasuls time and time again.

Nitrous may cool your intake charge but double the heat on the exhaust, superheating your turbo intake.

Is best to spray the nitrous on the intercooler for better results.
Old 04-24-2005
im stock now! T.T

hmm, thats what i was t hinking of getting one of those intercooler sprayers but id rather spray into the engine.
maybe i should try running low boost first and see how that goes.
btw, i can ge a complete kit for 2 grand and my friend could help me install it because he has a shop. so basically its 2 grand for me. ive found at least 3-4 people trying to sell me for 2- 2500
Old 04-24-2005
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
i sold my kit for close to $2000. It came with alcohol injection, 2 turbos, 3" downpipe, intercooler, engine management, and a lot more. I know for a fact he can get a used kit that cheap if not cheaper.

I would say go for it. You wont ever know until you do it. I was going to try it until i broke a ring in my motor by simply running too much boost. Now i have a sleeved motor with pistons, rods, and a plethora of other parts. And i am going to squeeze this one with boost. But as longas you dont go too extreme, it should work out. Just run a small shot with relatively low boost, with some good gas (like C10).
Old 04-24-2005
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light
do it . 80 shot pluss turbo and be sure to post the video
Old 04-24-2005
im stock now! T.T

im thinking 40 shot here. im not running 80 with the turbo. i still think 40 shot is overdoing it on stock internals.

how much boost were you running that your ring got damaged? I dont want to buy a turbo kit and have problems like that. Im trying to run low boost max of 8 psi. will that be ok for stock internals?
Old 04-24-2005
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
18-20 psi.

Just seeing if it would do it. And it did, just not for very long.
Old 04-24-2005
im stock now! T.T

DAMN! I wouldnt do that. maybe 10 max
Old 04-24-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by turboengnr
18-20 psi.

Just seeing if it would do it. And it did, just not for very long.
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We learn from you mistakes! Thank you
Old 04-25-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I wouldn't do it ...

that one guy on here blew up his filter and intake manifold with just 75 shot. I'm surprised your 80 shot is working ok
Old 04-25-2005

doesnt backfiring help the IM to blow?

My car backfires like hell when I stop to an idle after boosting. Its very very very quiet backfiring too.
Old 04-25-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
on a stock d17a2 we have managed 15 psi on stock internals from a turbo no nitro at all. Thats for short periods. Otherwise 12psi is the recommended max on a daily driver of stock internals .
Old 04-25-2005
Registered!!

classact307 is an unknown quantity at this point
I;ve ran a 50hp shot all summer... my buddy ran a 75 hp shot for 2 years on his 01 lx. No problems for either of us. Has anybody had nitrous problems with their rides?
Old 04-26-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
Alluponu has turbo and nitrious. The car is not a daily driver and currently going thru building up the internals. The last time I stopped by Legend Motorsports thats what I was told. Like Gabe said it helps in spooling.
Old 04-26-2005

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
baby steps man.
I was on the bottle for two years, now I'm turbo on full internals for 6 months.
My friendly suggestion to you is:
turbo it first, get your fuel system up to par then your cooling system, radiator, oil cooler, then, get it running right before you thinking on sparying at all.
You'll find out that is more to it that what it seems or other ppl tell you.

Other wise do it any way and make sure you have another car and plenty of $$ cause you'll need it.
Oh, and take plenty of pictures.

Last edited by Supermex; 04-26-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Lightbulb

I have a question. Will my turbonator work with the nitros kit on ebay with the little cartridges?
Old 04-26-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pon55
I have a question. Will my turbonator work with the nitros kit on ebay with the little cartridges?
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

gsrchad is an unknown quantity at this point
well you guys have several things misxed up..

1. any motor can take anything you through at it, until one thing happens, detonation...
which is why someone might tell a story about a d17 taking 4psi and blowing vs someone else running 12 daily.... its on the tune, the better the tune, the more you can throw at it...

2. running nitrous on a n/a motor is jsut that... saying a 50 shot is just a 50 shot.
nitrous cools air drastically and contains more oxygen per cubic foot than atmosphere air.... so when you turbo a car... say you have your car maked at ( tuned for 7.5psi ruffy 1/2 bar) with turbo...
your car is tuned for 7lbs of forced air of a certain temp and a certain quiality...
when you use nitrous, becasue its forced air and that the nitrous is cooling the air much more than the intercooler would be its actually acting like a bigger shot at boost... ex. you run a 50 shot at all motor. your going to get stock + 50 hp..
boosted at 7lbs say nets you 200 then a 50 shot... its going to act like more than 250...
so be careful.

but remember, the better the tune, the more boost you can run regardless of internals...

just better the internals the more "error" they can take...