Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

internal vs. external

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sc0ttelli0tt is an unknown quantity at this point
internal vs. external

call me retarded but im jsut curious. what is the exact diffrance between an internal and an external wastegate for a turbo?. obviously the differant placement of the wastegate, but exactly wut are the pro's and con's of each
thanks
~scott

Last edited by C2i0v0i1C; 12-11-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sc0ttelli0tt
call me retarded but im jsut curious. what is the exact diffrance between an internal and an external wastegate for a turbo?. obviously the differant placement of the wastegate, but exactly wut are the pro's and con's of each
thanks
~scott
There is a thread that I answered about this some months ago. Search for it.
Old 12-11-2004
Registered!!

AceAltima is an unknown quantity at this point
(as i also posted this in your other thread_

First off, you only need to hit post once...

Secondly - with general questions such as this, you can try the search feature at this site, or better yet, search your query through yahoo or google...doing that tends to bring up hits from other forums with much more turbo input (honda-tech, vwvortex, sr20deforum are all good boost realted forums that come up when searchign in yahoo/google)

But for some info:

An internal wastegate would be better suited to a smaller displacement motor that is running low (i'd say 6 psi) or less....anythign more they tend to leak/spike and generally not work good after a bit..remember the port size is super tiny and anythign with decent displacement will basically 'overwork' the internal flapper and you'd be wishing you never went the easy route if you're serious...again, it's the chepaer route but youll be fighting creep/spike...and on your high compression engines with precise tuning, the last thign you wanna do is spike 3 psi over what your engine can handle!

An external wastegate IMO is the better option of the two, not only due to ease of operation but due to it's supiority over the internal when set to regulate high boost...the external will not spike nearly as bad (some do still psike tho at times), will hold boost better, and enable you to hit boost stronger..

The external gate also allows you to change spring size, whereas the internal is a one time only deal..not saying a good boost controller (such as the profec b, hwich i run, or lets say the AVCR or the HKS EZ version) wont do the trick, but if you are building a high boost engine, you'll need the bigger spring as your base boost level

The one pro of the internal gate is ease of re-route, obviously as it's right there, but the same can be achieved on the external gate be re-routing it back in, or just using an open dump (loud but some extra power)

So again, i'd suggest the external whole-heartedly over the internal, and i'd also suggest you run a Tial Wastegate (or if you can afford it, the turbosmart ultragate)...an external gate is by far worth the money and is cheap boost regulation insurance
Old 12-11-2004
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
But don't think just cuz of the external wastegate you won't get boost creep that also depends on your manifold as well and placement of the wastegate (drag manifolds) Good info AceAltima.
Old 12-11-2004
Registered!!

sc0ttelli0tt is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the 411 everyone