Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

D17a2 lower compression swap for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004
Boosting Daily

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation D17a2 lower compression swap for boost?

I'm soon to get a TSI extreme kit for my civic and found quite a few interesting other things TSI makes for our 7thgens. I know our d17a2's (Ex's) have a higher compression than Lx. TSI makes forged pistons for d17a, which i'm thinking is for the Lx cuz the compression is 8.5:1. I'm planning on building up my d17 once i get boosted cuz i've beat up on it rather well and i'm just trying to insure it won't blow with boost. So if these pistions are for lx, WHAT IF........i swapped them out with my stock high compression EX pistons to lower my compression ratio so i'll respond better to boost!?

Check these out here:
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/prod...=1203&catid=48

Check out some other things TSI makes that fit our vics (Oil and tranny coolers, injection control modules, etc.:
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/bran...asp?brandid=29
Old 10-30-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
low compression pistons don't respond as well to boost. the point of low compression pistons is to run MORE boost ;P
Old 10-30-2004
Boosting Daily

EternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the roughEternalBlue_Vic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
the point of low compression pistons is to run MORE boost ;P
oooooooooohhhh, okay, i see. Well, yeah, cool deal. If i re-build my engine i'll be able to run more boost, so yay. Would these pistons be okay to run with an ex head since they're made for lx?
Old 10-30-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
as far as I know, an ex and lx have the same block minus the pistons ... so it would probably work
Old 10-30-2004
Boosting Daily

cool, this is something to look into down the road, thanx
Old 10-30-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

make sure to get some aftermarket head studs too ... helps against blowing head gaskets
Old 10-30-2004
Boosting Daily

remind me in like 6 months, haha
Old 10-30-2004
Registered!!

sb143hd is an unknown quantity at this point
I also am installing a turbo, and i'm glad you asked becasue i had the same question! Here is a web site where you can get those pistons cheaper! www.turbodiscounters.com . by the end of nov. my turbo should be on the way!
Old 10-31-2004
Boosting Daily

cool deal/\/\ hope you didn't get ur turbo from turbodiscounters.com

For the same price of the T25bb kit there, you can get a T28bb kit at needboost.com streetlevelperformance sportcompactonly.com and etc!
Old 10-31-2004

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
all d17 engines parts are compatible with each other...dx parts will fit on ex and vice versa... the blocks are the same just differnet pistons and yes they can be swapped... same thing goes for the head, exhaust and other parts..