Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

WTF is going on ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
WTF is going on ???

OK, i have a SF kit and have been running it for about 3 1/2 months now. About 1 month ago, my inline fuel pump started making lots of really loud noises, sounded like a sick dog, but really loud. So loud that ppl were staring at me like wtf is up with your car.....lol Well, it finally quit, so i ordered a new MSD pump. Took out the old one and it smelled burnt, so i knew it burned up.

The new pump ran great for about 3 wks, then that one quit on me, but didn't make any noises. I ordered a new pump, installed it yesterday and nothing, so i had a extra relay and i installed that and it worked, so now i have a spare pump. Well, after i installed it yesterday morning, i drove 300 miles to and back from the Mid-Atlanic meet with no problems. Last nite i go out and on the way back it started make really loud noises again, these were louder than the first pump....plus i was running lean. It does it like every 20-30 seconds.

The only thing i can figure out is that whatever SF supposedly does to "tune" the FMU, they f.cuked up. I am wondering if a new FMU would solve my problem
Old 07-25-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
ugh that kit sux!

second person ive read have problems with IT failing...they MUST have used a cheapo generic pump
Old 07-25-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
You might want to wire in one of the switches that some of the older kits have on them where the pump kicks on only on boost... Might save the life of the pump....
Old 07-25-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Havok2k1
You might want to wire in one of the switches that some of the older kits have on them where the pump kicks on only on boost... Might save the life of the pump....

i have that, that is what the relay is for
Old 07-25-2004
Premium Member

Originally Posted by cdmx
ugh that kit sux!

second person ive read have problems with IT failing...they MUST have used a cheapo generic pump

read my post again, the pump has nothing to do with it......something is causing the pumps to fail.
Old 07-25-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
So your pump is only turning on under boost? If so, there is a bigger problem or you're running boost all day long (which still shouldn't wear it out that fast. I know you're gonna laugh, but try to get ahold of SF. I'm sure they know the answer.
Old 07-25-2004
Premium Member

Originally Posted by gearbox
So your pump is only turning on under boost? If so, there is a bigger problem or you're running boost all day long (which still shouldn't wear it out that fast. I know you're gonna laugh, but try to get ahold of SF. I'm sure they know the answer.

the pump turns on when you turn the key to ACC........put it doesn't increase fuel pump pressure until it sees boost. It was weird, we go to Pizza s.lut and everything was great, we come out, i turn the key and bam, loud noises. It did it all the way home and i was running lean
Old 07-25-2004
Premium Member

btw, yeah gearbox, i have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa b4 i can get ahold of Stafford
Old 07-26-2004
Registered!!

fuchs is an unknown quantity at this point
Man...that sucks. My new MSD pump should be here tomorrow. I wonder what could be causing it. Mine was great until I put the new motor in. Since then it has been loud as FU(K!
Old 07-26-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
this doesn't make much sense... I know somethings up but...

I've had the kit since last october. I daily drive my car, and I drove it through an NE winter. Driving on it now, been close to a year, and it works great. I don't even have that relay either, my pump runs constantly. BUt I finally installed a 20A switch under my steering wheel for when I mess with the emanage or get stuck in traffic...

I guess it COULD be your FMU, but that only has to do with tuning. It's running either way, so I don't see how a poor ratio will burn the pump up that quickly. If you are randomly running lean, I would check your electrical connections (use a nice heavy wire) and if not then the FMU would fix the lean problem, my car did that the first month but SF took care of that for me.
Old 07-26-2004
Registered!!

player1002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jay-

When you find the problem let me know. As you know we are having the same issues.
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

Civic Type S is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah jason, when you find out let me know. I am having the same problems also