Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

MSD Ignition for DIS systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004
Turbo Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
MSD Ignition for DIS systems

Well, it's out there. I had been searching for ways to retard timing and I found an msd ignition for distributorless ignition systems. It lists at about 330 which isn't horribly bad. I plan to pick up one of these relatively soon. No more need for alcohol injection. You can find it at summit racing.
Old 02-09-2004
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
I've been looking at that too, but jegs said they didnt think it would work on our 3 wire system. Each coil pack has a ground, 12v+, and trigger wire.
Old 02-09-2004
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by RiceBuRNeR
I've been looking at that too, but jegs said they didnt think it would work on our 3 wire system. Each coil pack has a ground, 12v+, and trigger wire.
Definitely worth looking into. I wish I could find someone who has some experience with it.
Old 02-09-2004
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
All I need is a 2-stage rev limiter. I need something to pre-spool the turbo, without over revving.

If anyone knows what will work please enlighten me. My car is being setup for race use (full course throughout the year, with dragging for occasional tests).
Old 02-09-2004
Turbo Guru

Originally posted by MadWheel
All I need is a 2-stage rev limiter. I need something to pre-spool the turbo, without over revving.

If anyone knows what will work please enlighten me. My car is being setup for race use (full course throughout the year, with dragging for occasional tests).
One of my friends is using a 2 step on his gsr. I'm not sure if it was through his hondata but I'll ask him and do some research on that as well. Trying to find out what will and won't work on our cars.
Old 02-10-2004
Premium Boosted Member

I apreciate that, however, the GSR ignition systems are COMPLETELY different than our cars so it would still be different from him.

I may just break down and call MSD sometime this week.
Old 02-10-2004
First to spool

riceburnrex has disabled reputation
This DIS system is designed for cars such as the Mazda Miata and Protege that use a coil pack and camshaft positioning sensor instead of a distributor, and not coil on plug as we are. Coil on plug is a totally different system from DIS. DIS is where you have a coil pack with spark plug wires leading to each cylinder's spark plugs, instead of having the coil pack directly on top of the spark plug as we do.

MSD is reportedly in development of a coil on plug system much like the Ignition Solutions setup that I have, and should be released sometime around middle summer.
Old 02-10-2004
Premium Boosted Member

Ahhh thanks man. Good to hear.
Old 02-10-2004
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
You can use a BEE* Racing rev limit, it has an adjustable "stutter box" feature that is great for drag launches.
Old 02-10-2004
Premium Boosted Member

really? where can i find that? is it safe?
Old 02-11-2004
Turbo Member

I was looking in to buying one for my car. It interupts your ignition at a pre set RPM as long as you have the remote launch button held down. This also causes flame to shoot out of your exhaust b/c your not interupting the fuel pump like a stock revlimit so its actulay less harsh on your car and will keep the turbo spooled at launch. You cannot retard your timing w/ it, but you can set both your drag launch and soft touch main rev limmit w/ it.

I cant remeber the website though, just search for BEE Racing. Also there up on ebay from time to time.
Old 02-11-2004
Premium Boosted Member

damn can't find them