Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

has anyone sleeved block yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain is an unknown quantity at this point
Sleeves go around the outsides of the cylinders to make them stronger so they dont crack.
Old 12-07-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
The reason I ask dry and wet sleeves is cuz im taking auto mechanics and we just did this last week. I'm taking about the cylinder sleeve itself aka liner.

"A dry sleeve presses into a cylinder that has been bored or machined, oversize. A dry sleeve is relatively thin and is not exposed to engine coolant. The ouside of a dry sleeve touches the walls of the cylinder block. This provides support for the sleeve. When a cylinder becomes badly worn or is damaged, a dry sleeve can be installed.The original cylinder must be bored almost as large as the outside diameter of the sleeve. Then, the sleeve is pressend into the oversized hole. Next the inside of the sleeve is machined to the original bore diameter. This allows the use of the original piston size..

"A wet sleeve is exposed to engine coolant. It must withstand combustion pressure and heat without the added support of the cylinder block. Therefore is should be thicker than a dry sleeve. When the head is installed the clamping action pushes down on the sleeve and holds it in position. The cylinder head gasket keeps the top of the sleeve from leaking. A rubber or copper O-ring is used at the bottome of a wet sleeve to prevent coolant leakage into the crank case. The O-ring seal is pinched between the blokc and the liner to form a leakproof joint."

Sorry about the long response, I'm just a lil confused why none of you have heard of this and I have, and I have not heard about the other methods of sleeving.
Old 12-07-2003
Registered!!

Captain is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmmm, thats interesting information. I have only heard of the method of sleeving the outsides of the cylinders to withstand forced induction.
Old 12-07-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
New information for me and you we both win lol .