Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

Major Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kamahls_Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Major Swap

I'm new to racing but i have a 2002 honda civic dx with a d17 whats the best engine to swap with for horsepower and torque?
Old 08-26-2003
Samoan<^>(-_-)<^>Power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
krayziebonet4l is an unknown quantity at this point
k20a2
its the engine for a rsx type s

welcome to the board. i recommend searching before you post any questions. theres alot of threads about engine swaps.
i also recommend a sf turbo instead of swapping. thats my peronal opinion
Old 08-26-2003
98% of people will die in their lifetime
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
Re: Major Swap

Originally posted by Kamahls_Civic
I'm new to racing but i have a 2002 honda civic dx with a d17 whats the best engine to swap with for horsepower and torque?
jesus tap dancing christ!!!
sorry man, yeah you need to search first but since you only have 2 posts under your belt i wont say anything.
Old 08-26-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
lol dude u realy need to use that search button.. and yeah theres basically only one swap... a K series. and if u wanna go a different route wit like a B series.. well i hope u know someone to do custom mounts.. and probally welding to fit one of those bi tches in there.

oh yea incase ur wondering...

k20 - 3500 atleast
subframe, radiator,ecu - 1200 alteast
Mounts 6 and change
other parts like axels, throttle cables,etc about 1200

installation. ???

and ur looking at about 8k installed.

just go turbo and redo the internals.

Last edited by OsOBooSTeD; 08-26-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
all 3 of you basically said the same thing to the new guy, search before posting, only one of you needed to say that and he would probably understand.
Old 08-26-2003

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
we want to make sure we get our messege across
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I am pretty sure he understood after one person said it
Old 08-26-2003
OsOBaNNeD

man who cares stop PWing and when did u become a mod ... not all of us said the same thing.. first one said use search..... second said use search and its a k20 and third one said use search, and its a k20 and told him everything he needed. so bleh.

Last edited by OsOBooSTeD; 08-26-2003 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

I know I am not a mod but only one person needs to say that he needs to search first.
Old 08-26-2003
OsOBaNNeD

yea ok thanks for wasting up space with ur posts... this kinda of stuff with people sayin the same thing 3 times.. only HAPPENS like 10 times a day...

atleast become a super member or have a 1000 posts before u start speaking like a mod.
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

rscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to change the subject but some guy tried to tell me that the GSR engine will fit in our cars- EASILY. I agree that pretty much ANY engine can be put in a car w/ $ and effort but he seems to think that it will "drop in". I should also add that this guy says he wants to buy all "JDM Brand" stuff for his car- any comments on this guys?
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

Look man I am not trying to be a mod, all I was trying to say was that only one person needed to tell him that he needs to search first before posting a topic, I didnt know that this would be a big deal or turn out to be one.
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

I am sorry if this became a problem
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

BoZ05 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you do the swap, im' sure you can do it for less tha 8K, i forget who said 8K...if you do everything yourself, it should come out to about 6K, more or less, with install (alsp pending on who you go to, whether if they have done it before or not etc etc) it should come out to like 7K, 7.2, more or less. Wait a lil longer (like me), and i'm sure that price will drop eventually.

PS- all is if you use the k20a2, if you get the k20a, add an extra what? 2 grand? not too much more if you were going to go ITR route anyways...cuz LSD (quaife) is about a grand plus final drive, cams..etc etc...would end up being more than 2000 anyways

Last edited by BoZ05; 08-26-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2003
OsOBaNNeD

i said 8k ... installed.. professionally.

itll cost about 6-7 doing it urself. u obviously dont relize how much the extra parts needed cost.. go ahead and add them up piece by piece.. including tax for each item u buy.. then get back to me.

Last edited by OsOBooSTeD; 08-26-2003 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2003

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by OsOBooSTeD
i said 8k ... installed.. prefessionally.

itll cost about 6-7 doing it urself. u obviously dont relize how much the extra parts needed cost.. go ahead and add them up piece by piece.. including tax for each item u buy.. then get back to me.
I got an estimate of $8000 installed.
Old 08-26-2003
OsOBaNNeD

see lol i knew i wasnt nuts..i myself was gonna do the swap.. but the swoooooooooooosh of the turbo just sounded more appealing.
Old 08-26-2003

Originally posted by streetglower
Look man I am not trying to be a mod, all I was trying to say was that only one person needed to tell him that he needs to search first before posting a topic, I didnt know that this would be a big deal or turn out to be one.
ok why we told him to search 3 times you basically said only one of us needs to tell him to search 4 times...now whos being repetitive?? lol j/k man
Old 08-27-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Boosted2k2
I got an estimate of $8000 installed.
ok...well, maybe it's just a FL thing because cybernation is quoting roughly 7 grand for everything (mounts, axles, k20a2, radiator,etc etc...sub frame, you know the rest and install, if you already have all the parts, they said they'd install for around 1200-1500 i believe i may be off by a 100?).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33615 here's one for 2000 buy it now, (maybe thas the a3...anyhow, wait a week or so, then there will probably be an a2 from 3000-3300, lets just say it's 3300)

go to prodrive.com, get the stage 1 axles for about 500, new subframe from acuraautomotiveparts.com for about 300-400 i saw it for, radiator upper and lower hoses for about 30 each, radiator and fans for about 400-500? and mounts, are about 600-650 from hasport, or get the rsx mount supports and ES motor mounts for about 30, for a bit less.

that comes to a little over 5200. My etimates for the OEM parts are prolly off a little considering it's been a while since i last went there to look them up.

REGARDLESS of how much it costs, i'm sure we both can agree that it's gonna cost a chunk of change. right?
Old 08-27-2003
Registered!!

Man 1200-1500 for install, there is a place here in houston that does swaps for 500. I dont know how good they are though.
Old 08-28-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
$500 for an RSX swap? That's freakin' cheap! I am THINKING about doing a swap - have a motor that I might buy, but install is going to be about $1000, which isn't TOO bad considering all that's involved. I'm thinking swap vs turbo just because it will be more reliable.

BUT - there is a LOT involved with the swap that most people don't think about, such as the fact that you will have to get custom AC lines, they are not available yet from hasport. Also, all of the power steering hoses and piping, stuff like that. Not to mention the fact that I still haven't gotten a real answer on what to do about reflashing the key (see my thread in FI/swaps for these questions)!

One of the things I don't understand is why buy the $500 hasport motor mounts if the ones from the RSX fit? I'm a little confused there? Can anyone elaborate on that?
Old 08-28-2003
Registered!!

I think 500 is pretty cheap too, my friend had a 88 crx and he bought a 96 civic vtec engine and tranny and they did the swap for 300, but they didnt hook up the vtec. He did have problems with it though, and everytime he took it back he had to spend about 50 bucks for something that needed to be replaced. I guess doing a rsx swap would be more, i have no idea.
Old 08-29-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator: The mounts from the hasport are pretty sturdy poly urethane (i believe) which means that during launch, wheel hop will pretty much disappear. While with the OEM mounts, wheel hop is inevitable as more and more HP is added. The only advantage to using the OEM mounts is how the engine looks inside the bay. You can PM whitevic if you need more info this, he has done the swap with the RSX mounts instead of hasport.