Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Crower cams no longer available.

Old 03-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glamabilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Crower cams no longer available.

So I'm half way through this engine build, and today I went to Crower website to order a stage 1 cam and found out that they have been discontinued. They say they can regrind my existing cam but they can't give me numbers of what they will be able to do with it until they get mine in their hands to measure it.
-So my question today, is who else besides Crower still makes a stage 1 cam for a D17a, D17a2?
-How does this forum feel about regrinding cams?
-If I can not find one anywhere, does anyone know of a used or new one anywhere that is for sale? Summit still has it on their site, but I'm not sure they have them in stock.
thanks.
Old 03-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Crower cams no longer available.

Guess somebody forgot to backup the CNC file and **** wiped out the computer.
Old 03-12-2018
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

You can check these guys below. I got mine from them in 2014.

chris@cnc-motorsports.com
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/crow...-camshaft.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/Crower/258/63461/10002/-1

Last edited by nsrhonda89; 03-12-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oooouch, the cam is great, sad to see it go
Old 03-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by piano55man
Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!
Lol, you already got one tho
Old 03-14-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Skunk2 lists a few for the d15 and d16, you could research if the d17 takes the same camshaft.
Old 03-15-2018
Registered!!

piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Lol, you already got one tho
but i don't have the big stage 3 yet.
I was planning on putting this in during the summer months.
Old 03-15-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by glamabilly
So I'm half way through this engine build, and today I went to Crower website to order a stage 1 cam and found out that they have been discontinued. They say they can regrind my existing cam but they can't give me numbers of what they will be able to do with it until they get mine in their hands to measure it.
-So my question today, is who else besides Crower still makes a stage 1 cam for a D17a, D17a2?
-How does this forum feel about regrinding cams?
-If I can not find one anywhere, does anyone know of a used or new one anywhere that is for sale? Summit still has it on their site, but I'm not sure they have them in stock.
thanks.
i personally have never liked the regrind idea because there's too much room for error. it's easier to keep the geometry right without having to make up .020 or .040 or whatever ends up being removed. i have a friend that is much smarter than myself and he loves regrinds. has been developing cams for eons and has crower regrind oem cams to his specs all the time. recently (about a year ago) he had one regrind for a mopar 2.4 where the base circle was cut too small and the lash adjusters could not extend far enough to have proper lash. only in one case though, all the other cams cut and sold with the same specs were fine. he ended up getting bad mouthed, had people blaming the cam he designed, etc, because the guy at the grinder made a simple mistake and took too much off the base to safely hit his specs. this is likely why they want to see and measure your cam first. i would call crower and see how confident they feel about regrinding it.

this is the actual regrind in question, and below it stock cams. you can see how much smaller the base circle becomes. if they need to grind it too small to get it where you want it.... well they'll know better than us how far they can cut without making the valvetrain geometry fubar.
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeltCamTease20.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	112058

Name:	CamShortCut1.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	112059
^^ mopar 2.4/turbo PT
Old 03-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

well, our cars do not have spacers, so not sure a regrind would work...
Old 03-15-2018
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dezod.com/crower/crower-i...i-2162628.aspx

might wanna call and see if they have them in stock. Stage 2, not 3, but still. Worth a shot

edit: here's a stage 3. Recommendation to call still applies.
https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/cro...151786177.html
Old 03-15-2018
Administrator
Administrator

For you crazy cats that wanna get custom grinds done, here's the specs for crower's D17A2 cams (had to google fu the crap out of this)

All else fails, you can order a custom ground cam to the stage 3 specs from crower. lol
Old 03-17-2018
Registered!!

So with a regrind, I'm guessing all the material is taken from the back side of the lobe. Do you think the same lift and duration can be achieved? Also if I have to get a custome grind, would it be better to change the values and get a cam someplace between the stage 1 and 2? I want to keep the stock valve springs and retainers for now, because I think they have discontinued them as well. Are valve springs and retainers for other D series engines compatable with the D17A2?
Old 03-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

I'm glad I bought one when I did. But you could get one here if you act fast: https://www.ebay.com/i/123020513845?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Old 03-20-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

So with a regrind, I'm guessing all the material is taken from the back side of the lobe.
they will grind the minimum amount necessary off the lobes before regrinding just to clean things up, and may grind off the tip of the lobe if the new profile has lobes shaped more like the butt of an egg vs the tip of the egg, as it's the only way really add duration without getting nuts with lift.
Old 04-15-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the info, I’m going to send in the cam to crower and see what they can do. It’s $180 for a regrid, that’s about half of the cost of a new one.
Old 04-16-2018
Registered!!

Wait, you can send in the stock cam and they will make the stage 1,2,or 3 cam???
Old 04-16-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by piano55man
Wait, you can send in the stock cam and they will make the stage 1,2,or 3 cam???
Darn. I wish I knew that before I spent $400 on a stage 1 cam. I thought by “regrind”, they just meant polishing the lobes smooth again if they were scored. I didn’t think that they could add material.
Old 04-16-2018
Registered!!

they do not add material, they remove it from the sides and bottom, which makes the base smaller and the lobes act taller/wider/etc.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	112147
depending how much is removed, you can run into unforeseen issues: lash adjusters no longer centered on the valve stem causing valve guides to wear or valve tips to mushroom, rollers lower causing the pressure to exert more sideways than vertical, etc.. which is why they will always want the cam in hand to measure before deciding if there's enough meat on it to do what you want.

pic is just a BS pic i made where the center was made smaller so you can see how i illustrated it making the lobe 1/3 taller
Old 04-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER

Darn. I wish I knew that before I spent $400 on a stage 1 cam. I thought by “regrind”, they just meant polishing the lobes smooth again if they were scored. I didn’t think that they could add material.
They can’t add material, from my conversation with them, they can make the back and sides of the lobe a bit smaller, after the lifter is adjusted to take up the difference, it will act like a larger lobe. They have no information to give me on how much they can change it, they will have to measure it first and get back to me with the values that they can get. Things like ramp angle lift and duration will be as good as they can get, they can’t guarantee a stage one or two profile. It may only end up not even a stage one. I’ll keep people posted with the values they come up with.
Old 04-16-2018
Registered!!

They can’t add material, from my conversation with them, they can make the back and sides of the lobe a bit smaller, after the lifter is adjusted to take up the difference, it will act like a larger lobe. They have no information to give me on how much they can change it, they will have to measure it first and get back to me with the values that they can get. Things like ramp angle lift and duration will be as good as they can get, they can’t guarantee a stage one or two profile. It may only end up not even a stage one. I’ll keep people posted with the values they come up with.
I see, thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-22-2018
Registered!!

So I finally got the numbers back from Crower. They can regrind a stock d17a2 cam. The OEM numbers are 183 degrees intake and 171 degrees exhaust with .199 and .163 of lift respectively. The maximum numbers they can get me are .188 degrees intake and .180 degrees exhaust, with .213 and .175" of lift.
For comparison the stage one cam they used to offer was 188 degrees intake and 180 exhaust with a .217 and .190 lift with 188 and 180 degrees of duration. The turbo cam had .237 intake lift and .218 exhaust lift with 193 and 183 degrees of duration. The turbo cam requires the spring and retainer kit they sell.
Anyone have a opinion on those numbers?

Last edited by glamabilly; 08-22-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2018
Registered!!

If you want to retain your stock setup, i would go with the stage 1 grind.
If you decide to go bigger than the stage 1 specs, you better have some sort of programmable ECU.

I personally thru in a stage 1 this spring and went ahead and upgraded the springs and retainers, because i knew i would be going with a bigger cam in the near future.

I'm curious if i can get a stage 3 grind from the stage 1 cam????

Old 08-22-2018
Registered!!

The max numbers they can get are 188 degrees intake and 180 degrees exhaust, with .213 and .175" of lift.
For comparison the stage one was 188 degrees intake and 180 degrees exhaust with a .217 and .190 lift
Anyone have a opinion on those numbers?
instead of losing shipping money you might have them cut it, try it. the stage 1 duration is there, you may love it.
if you decide if you want something bigger, you'll at least have something worth some $$ to sell. i imagine in an ad that would be found by someone seeking a stage 1, your cam would resell pretty quickly and would cover anything you spend on the shipping, grinding, vc gasket, etc

i never realized how tiny honda cams are. mine's In:222 / Ex:230 with .512/.512 lift, which is on the small side for a v8.
Old 08-22-2018
Registered!!

I have a Crower stage 1 cam in my "power house" now.
All this talk of regrinds got me wondering if Crower can get the stage 3 grind from their own stage 1....
I plan on calling them in the future to find out.

a bit off topic, but does anyone have a d16 cam laying around that they would be interested in giving away minus shipping?
i'm curious how different the cams are.
Old 08-22-2018
Registered!!

this is how much that 0.015 missing EXH lift is, the Intake lift missing is 1/3 or that. i doubt you or the engine would notice the missing lift.
Old 08-22-2018
Registered!!

that's only double the exhaust lash thickness....
Old 08-22-2018
Registered!!

This build is taking me a while, I’m not sure how long it will take now that they have the numbers, but I hope to get it back soon. I’ll post something on this thread when I get it in the car. Having said all of that, it does look like you could just go to a junkyard, get a cam for almost nothing send it in to have a regrind, all for almost half of what the stage 1 cam would be, and it is only off by just a few thousands of an inch. This is really just an experiment for me, if I get some good results, it is going in my rally car. Just a few hp extra might make all the difference over a rally stage, and if it looks OEM maybe no one will notice.
Old 08-24-2018
Registered!!

just remember...your never cheating unless you get caught...
Old 08-24-2018
Administrator
Administrator

I think the proper quote is "it's only cheating if you get caught" lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crower cams no longer available.