Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

BoostED..... Boilermaker Style. (Edited 4/11/06 see page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
BoostED..... Boilermaker Style. (Edited 4/11/06 see page 4)

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm exhausted. I drove over 900 miles to spend about 14 hours under the car this weekend, but... the turbo has landed.
First things first, I need to publicly thank Gerry (02FPcivic) who not only helped me put this together this weekend, but let me crash at his house. A truly nice guy and I don't think I can thank him enough for the help.
Lets get the party started... someone yank my crank

I'm not going to go big time into details here, a lot of this stuff is known, and I don't intend to make a DIY, but I've got some pointers. Enough of this stuff is pretty well known, and if you don't understand it, you need to learn it before trying crap like this. If you want my opinion, even if you buy a kit, this is NOT a driveway DIY project. You need someone who can TIG weld, and you probably also need some saws and other tools to do metal work with.
Sufficient to say, mine is custom, and there are no plans whatsoever of duplicating it.
This is the inside of the oil pan in case you've never seen it

This is the oil pan with a return bung welded in (this is the part where you need the TIG), don't bolt it in, the oil pan side isnt flat. Also 1 tube of Hondabond= 1 Oil pan Gasket

Good aim puts the hole above the sump baffle, between the bolt holes and between the support ribs. Take the pan off before you drill, and remove the baffle so you're sure to get all the drill shavings out.

We burned out the cheater pipe, so now its a true 2.25" DP. It was flanged, and so is the turbo DP.

I don't need no stinking charge pipes! Thats the top of the intercooler, into a 4 ply reinforced elbow, and into the engine. Piece o' cake.

Side note: the intercooler is a side mount, don't ask me about it, I'm pretty sure no one else wants to deal with what we had to do to make it work. Good thing is there's basically no charge pipe. We welded an elbow to the turbo compressor housing, it goes to an elbow which feeds the bottom side of the IC, I'll post a picture later.

Getting a little short on room by the time we got to the intake. It fits, but its all tight. I'll probably end up with a cylindrical filter rather than the conical one, and may end up making the lower radiator hose into a partial hard line.

Somehow it all fits....

The other side

And the crazy *** downpipe, it clears the AC, barely. its not done yet, it still needs to have the WG dumptube put in, and get welded together.

I'll post more later, the parts are all still in my trunk.

Its a GT28R, on a HKS manifold, yes we had to notch the core support, but everything else fits. I would think with a smaller compressor housing you wouldn't need to mess with the core support.

IT DOES RUN (See page 4)
Don't ask me how it feels, or anything of the sort. Its not installed. We test fit and mocked everything up, and if you haven't figured out by now based on what I said about the DP not being done, etc..... its not installed. I'll be at Summit Point next week, I didn't want to blow it up a week after installing it. Its going in April 9.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 04-11-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
very very nice, but you're the best at everything you do to your car, and this is no different.....sleeper style!
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

EM2 Bluez is an unknown quantity at this point
One sick *** ride you got there bro.
Old 03-26-2006
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
wow, nice set up. good job. hope the rest goes smooth for u
Old 03-26-2006
Premium Member

icedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really nice
another nice *** job, as always. im feening to see that whole job done and i gotta see that side mount intercooler in person....
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

Black03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura about
sweet cant wait to read your review of the product
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
Should be pretty stealthy. We added a port to recirculate the bov to keep it quiet after those pics were taken. What a bastard it was to get it all in there. Everything seems great though, I can wait to see how it all works out.
Old 03-26-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wow amazing setup. glad you got it together.
Old 03-26-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
looks awesome.
Old 03-26-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Looking GOOD!
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Talk about unique............
Will there be any loss in performance because of where the IC is?
More pics, I wanna see how it fits in there.

Last edited by jackburton; 03-26-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Will there be any loss in performance because of where the IC is?
More than likely yes,but I have my reasons for putting it where it is. The minimized drop in pressure should help make up for the slightly higher intake temps. I've got some ducting tricks up my sleeve.
Old 03-26-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
dyno asap! ;P
Old 03-26-2006
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
wow, awesome
Old 03-26-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
nice. im gonna have to take a page out of your book, like i did with turboengnr.
Old 03-26-2006

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
thats freakin sick!, why is your pan aluminum? mine is steel and a larger baffle thats spot welded in not bolted.
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
very nice...you still plan on auto-xing it?
Old 03-26-2006

K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
Nice setup man!
Old 03-26-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
EX = Aluminum pan
Originally Posted by ncirom2003
thats freakin sick!, why is your pan aluminum? mine is steel and a larger baffle thats spot welded in not bolted.
Old 03-27-2006
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
Looks sweet! I cant wait to see the results and hear how close it is to your expectations.
Old 03-27-2006
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by turboengnr
Looks sweet! I cant wait to see the results and hear how close it is to your expectations.
What he said! Also your helping me decide between the gt28rs and the gt30
Old 03-27-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by XxJDMCivicxX
What he said! Also your helping me decide between the gt28rs and the gt30
well I don't think I'd be much help given that they're both T3 based and 28R is more T25 based.
Old 03-27-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
So hows it run?

Sorry Boil
Old 03-27-2006

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
dam very innovative. I like to see people trying something unconventional. Good luck with the ducting work. this is very interesting.
Old 03-27-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

More pictures.... here's the final intake arm, the big port is for the BOV recirc, the little one is a slashcut for crankcase ventilation.

This is the whole intercooler.... the top feeds the motor, the turbo feeds the
"sink drain" at the bottom.

The turbo has an elbow welded to the compressor, it couples directly to the intercooler inlet.
Old 03-27-2006

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
why such a small intercooler? how much boost do you plan on running?
Old 03-27-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Why do I need a big one?
7psi on a fairly small turbo doesn't need an enormous intercooler, this one should be more than enough to support 180 or so HP without issue. Why waste the pressure drop with a 28x6x3 core when I don't need to?
Old 03-27-2006

well i figured it would be a small boost setting. just wondering. i understand, if there is no need, don't do it.
Old 03-27-2006
Registered!!

Boost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura about
the way you have it positioned, if you ever go to the track, just pull off your headlight...

the smic should get sufficient flow there, might want to route some kind of plastic stuff for a "ram air" type thing...but itll be fine
Old 03-27-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by Boost_Junkie
the way you have it positioned, if you ever go to the track, just pull off your headlight...

the smic should get sufficient flow there, might want to route some kind of plastic stuff for a "ram air" type thing...but itll be fine
I'm gonna cut out a lot of plastic from the lower grill where the foglight should go, then trim some metal out from behind it, and put a big NACA duct in there. The intercooler is actually below the headlight, I don't know if pulling it would help a lot, but it would surely put some ram air into the turbo.
Another duct from under the car in the splash guard (part of which is going bye bye) and I'm considering pulling out the radiator overflow and replacing it with a smaller catch tank... which would free up a huge opening through the lower radiator mouth. Its in a pretty good spot for airflow with a couple minor modifications.

Quick Reply: BoostED..... Boilermaker Style. (Edited 4/11/06 see page 4)