Flush/Bleeding Front/Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all
Flush/Bleeding Front/Rear Brakes

so im planning to install my SS lines soon and was wondering which way is the best? should i just bleed all the old brake fluid out? or just bleed what i need to and top off in the end? i havn't change/flush the brake fluid at all, so which way is better? and is there a DIY? thanks!
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flush/Bleeding Front/Rear Brakes

Ummm. Put the lines on. Bleed the brakes until clean fluid comes out. Easy peasy. Need a 12 mm flare nut wrench?
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all

umm is that the size for all the brake lines? i'll take a look around my house to see if i have a 12mm, but im sure i saw one in a tool box somewhere. btw, is there a way around to removing the rear brake line bracket? im talking about the one some em2 drivers had to dremel out. >_<
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

12 mm is the size of the nut that stays on the hard lines that you don't want to strip. I didn't have to remove any brake line bracket and there was definitely no dremeling involved. There are little clips that pull out to release the lines. Are those what you are talking about?
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

yeah, the ones that are attached to the chassis. lol once i get around to doing this and if i have problems, i'll just ask you since you know all about it Thanks for the info!

one last thing, how long do you think it'll take and how much brake fluid would i need to finish the whole process?
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

I have a sizable amount left over from a pint. I didn't completely flush them though. I'm going to do that when I get some more time here pretty soon.

Should be about than an hour. For each wheel: Loosen nuts, pop off clips, unscrew nuts all the way, pull rubber lines off, put ss lines on, attach nuts and tighten, put clips on, bleed brakes.

Last edited by lordhelmet; 01-21-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

after you installed all the lines, did u notice a REAL big difference?

and thanks for the 3 sentence DIY, i'll do it once i get time to spare . Thanks!!
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

if you have at least 2 ppl then i say just flush it. your suppose to flush your brake fluid at least every 5yrs.

Since you hve a 03, now would be a good time to do it. You might want to change your pads too if there low and just get everything done at once.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

true. my rear drums are ugly and squeeks.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

I'm pretty sure you are going to need another person to help bleed the brakes so factor that in. As for the DIY there is one on this site already. Search around for it. As for the difference... I did feel one but I think the first one I put on needs to have it re-bled.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

i see i see. hope i feel something haha
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

TOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the rough

careful when using that 12mm flare. that nut is extremely soft and can be easily stripped.

just an fyi, use a GENEROUS amount of pb blaster.

i stripped mine when i did the rear disc conversion and now i gotta use a vice grip to get it off.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TOEnail
careful when using that 12mm flare. that nut is extremely soft and can be easily stripped.

just an fyi, use a GENEROUS amount of pb blaster.

i stripped mine when i did the rear disc conversion and now i gotta use a vice grip to get it off.
That blows. Mine came right off.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

TOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the roughTOEnail is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
That blows. Mine came right off.
tell me about it =\
considering mines an 03 and i recently did the rear disc a couple months ago. time mustve just added corrosion and rust on that nut.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

pics of your rear disc please
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

yeah you need at least two ppl toe bleed brakes unless you have one of those self bleeder kit things.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TOEnail
tell me about it =\
considering mines an 03 and i recently did the rear disc a couple months ago. time mustve just added corrosion and rust on that nut.
Did your car come from the east coast? There was no corrosion on my threads and mine is 2 years older.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

hopefully my 01 will be easy and not cause me drama. i hate it when DIY's dont go according to plan and screws everything up