Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

Any advantage to use D3 on auto tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004
Got the broccoli in my back pocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k3kansasEX is an unknown quantity at this point
the fast way if your are tryin to race an auto and not jack your tranny is to start in D3 and leave it there, put your foot into the floor and leave it there and let the car do everything, I have had many autos, I have not yet been to the track with my vic, but I can promise you thats the safest and fastest way. anybody who say netural drops and shifting through gears is gonna get beat if you do this. It is called an automatic because that is how it is degianed to work. Look at like this if you can play solotatire and it is set up to automaticly win if you push on button, right why are you gonna start flipping cards. All the things people tell you to do might make it feel faster but I promise you they aren't. Go to the track and try em out if you want to lose a tranny. ANd you will see I am right
Old 12-05-2004
Registered!!

-Vile- is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

Heya folks.

I know I don't have the large number of post behind my name or even a rep, lol, but I thought I'd share my experience with D3 at an Auto X event.

My friend and I thought it would be fun to enter my 2004 Civic, LX Auto into the last Auto X event in November at Nassau Colliseium in Long Island New York.

We didn't record the track times, but it was my first Auto X event, next time I'll keep better notes. However, I do have a fair idea on what my times were.

My first lap was just to get a feel for the track, 75 seconds about. (There were 8 Laps in total, 2 heats)

Second lap was my first serious run, 62 seconds.
Third and Forth Lap got my car to around 60 seconds (60.544 if I remember)

After forth, I had to do the work station and did a little oberservation. The pavement was really cold and it was hard to get traction, even for some of the other cars on the track. Lots of Evos, WRX, and Miatas...seems like these are the cars I ALWAYS see when I go to Auto X to spectate. So I figured hmm..the only way Im going to get a better time is to either get a faster start off the line or try to take the turns better (my car was getting a ton of body roll, stock car mind you.)

So fifth lap I get my time to about 58.8, Sixth lap I get my car to 58.8 again....

Then the bright idea I had was to try to increase my time off the line by using a different gear setting.

So On the line I put the car in D3, ...GO.... So Im off the line and at around 40 MPH it sounded like the revs were getting a little too high, so I put it back to D and finish the course...

My time...57.864 (This one I remember for sure!)

I couldn't be sure if it was because of the D3 or if I had just learned to handle the track a little better, so I put the car back into drive on the start of my 8th lap and give it my last go.

8th ...Time:58.7

I think the next time Im at AutoX (doesn't start again for the chapter on long island until like Feb or March I believe) Im gonna have to try this several more times. But from what I can see from just times, I shaved off an entire second off my track time by starting in D3.

It was a fun day..Got my original best time of 62 down to 58-57ish, 5 second improvement overall.

I got within 4 second of a 350z (Guy could not drive, because I made a friend at the track who was also driving a 350z and was about 9 seconds ahead of my time.)...Fastest car of the day.. 2003 or 2005 (I really don't know mistu enough to tell) Mistu EVO 8 MR...with a track time of 43.8 ....blew my time away...thing handles like a train on rails...

I hope this experience helps, I would love to know for sure if D3 does give faster dead-to-go acceleration then drive.
Old 12-09-2004
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
in D3 i've noticed you hit top speed a lot easier. in D, at about 105 it just kind of doesnt move....when u flip it in 3...the rpm jumps up (obviously) and will accelerate upto over 112......its better for acceleration at high speeds....but other then that its a gas guzzler for anything that owuld normally be in 4th.
Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

I FuSe I has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Yea, if you're gonna run starting at D3 drop it into D after you break 100mph
Old 12-09-2004
my civic has no boost

since d3 will start redlining at about 113....drop it into d? does it keep goin?
Old 12-09-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
^^ Wow... That's amazingly high. I've held it down in D3 up till 70 and the engine was BUZZING like crazy... Oh well, maybe I wussed out because I hate going to gas stations.

@113? Probably not much more... I mean, afterall, it is a Civic.
Old 12-12-2004
my civic has no boost

true civicsrdbest.....yeah i'm serious too....on my way back from vacation in NC i wanted to see how fast i could go (cuz it wuz 6 am and there wuz noone on the hiway) so i floored it in drive.....but once i hit 105 or so it just stopped goin up very much so i put it into D3 and BOOM it just accelerated to 113 then i started to see traffic......yeah it wuz loud and right at the 6800 rpm line so its not like i do it often.