Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

OMG My car is hydrolock

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003
Sekz God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoToRiOuSxPiNoY is an unknown quantity at this point
Errr another breaking update.. i was getting out of the parking lot to take it to the dealership.. and boom my engine now has a big hole in it.. and pieces of metal n oil on the floor. u think my dealer will cover it.. even if i put the stock back on asap?
Old 06-16-2003
Registered!!

2k2civicRAY is an unknown quantity at this point
damn dude that sux
Old 06-16-2003
Registered!!

civic_khaos is an unknown quantity at this point
that does suck. where exactly is this hole in your engine?
Old 06-16-2003
Registered!!

NKMarin2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by NoToRiOuSxPiNoY
I mean... it wasnt even submerged!! err... but it just stopped rite wen i got thru da puddle... i hope soooo.. i dont wanna pay crap.. cuz i kno da warranty will be voided... i have injen cai.. i did take off the intake i see a lil water in the tube of the intake.. but not enuff to cause it to lock...

Hey I don't know if you are getting this soon enough or not, but I hydrolocked my engine last year. I had a INJEN cold air intake and I also thought the same, the water wasn't high enough to flood my engine. But unfortunately cold air intakes suck up a lot of water if you reach a puddle and though it may not seem like you see a lot of water in the tube of the intake, doesn't mean you don't have water in the manifold, that your sparkplugs are wet, etc. The "symptoms" you are having are straight up hydrolock, so what I did (since it was still under warranty) Is I took off my cold air intake, but the stock intake back on with the filter and took it to Honda and told them a bullshit story about how it was raining and it was dark and all of a sudden i was in this huge puddle and my car just shut off on me. I told them I tried to turn it back on but it would click click click, and you know what? They got me a brand new engine, since it was still under warranty they have to give a brand new one and since they didn't see any sign of aftermarket parts, they covered it. That's all you have to do, but the only downfall is I didn't get my car back for about 1 month, but it's well worth it. There is no point in having a cold air intake, to tell you the truth. There are more cons than pros when it comes to that on a stock engine. Ya know? So I wish you the best of luck, if you have any further questions feel free to e-mail me, but your best bet is to stop trying to turn it on, because you are only sending more water to the sparkplugs and NO FUEL. Water and fuel do not mix. Another way you could have been able to tell if it was hydrolocked is by checking the sparkplugs and seeing if they were wet, other than that you'd have to open the manifold and that is where all my water was! I mean like alot.

So, write back when ya can and let me know what happened and if that was the issue with your car.

-NiKi
Old 06-16-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by NoToRiOuSxPiNoY
Errr another breaking update.. i was getting out of the parking lot to take it to the dealership.. and boom my engine now has a big hole in it.. and pieces of metal n oil on the floor. u think my dealer will cover it.. even if i put the stock back on asap?

Definitley, HYDROLOCK now. You shouldn't have kept trying to turn it on..... you probably seriously ruined it now. Either way it was ruined though. Yes put your stock items back on and they will and should cover it. Just give them a bullshit story like I did and you should be fine especially if it is still under warranty, otherwise, it's gonna cost you about $5-6,000 and that won't even be a new engine (if they void your warranty). Have your car towed to HONDA, don't try to try it, it's not gonna work. Hole in your engine, pieces of it and oil... not good. Your transmission could be screwed too, I hope you didn't push it that far But in any case, my friend and I had it towed to his house after it hydrolocked and he worked on it all night taking out all the water and drying it, the next day he was blowdrying the spark plugs and the manifold, etc and we got it to start but not even after 5 seconds of it starting it started making a breaking noise.. had i left it on any longer that hole in my engine would have happened, so I'm glad we stopped. The engine had too much water damage, it may not have seemed like a lot to you, but it was Sorry, man.. keep me posted please

-NiKi
Old 06-16-2003
Sekz God

more than ruined. lol i know theres a rod in da oil pan.. sigh imma get it towed der... on thurs :-/
Old 06-16-2003
Registered!!

lease: Best of luck. Everything will turn out o.k. And more than likely, they will cover it under warranty and you will merely have to pay your insurance deductible if you report it to your insurance, which you should. ByeBye

-niki
Old 06-16-2003
Sekz God

Man the problem is.. i have the stock intake n crap... but i still got a body kit and exhaust in it... i dont have the exhaust NEmore... and da body kit errr.. i dont have da front bumper NEmore..
Old 06-17-2003
cool beans

zinkyroo is an unknown quantity at this point
That shouldn't matter cuz its just the body not engine.
Old 06-17-2003
Sekz God

well exhaust
Old 06-17-2003
Registered!!

That shouldn't matter either, because you still have no aftermarket parts in your engine that they see could have caused flood damage to your engine. If they do base it solely on the exterior of your car, then you can simply complain about prejudice just because of the way your car looks. But if it makes you feel any better, my car (the way you see it in the pics in My Ride) is the exact way I took it into Honda, muffler and all. So, don't stress it Just Take it and see what happens.
-NiKi
Old 06-17-2003
Registered!!

rokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura aboutrokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura about
I got my aem CAI installed at my dealership and asked about the bypass valve and they said no dont waste your money the only you can wreck your engine is if you go thru like 16" of water! and thats what the guy in charge of performance parts told me!
Old 06-17-2003
Registered!!

Well, no offense but you ask any mechanic/dealership and they will first of all tell you not to put a cold air intake in your car because it will only end up wrecking your engine. The only true reason for putting an intake in your car is if you seriously plan on fixing up your engine for speed, but to have a stock engine with an intake that adds merely 5+hp; not worth it.

As for the inches of water, that is also false. If you look at how low the INJEN CAI (not sure about AEM) filter reaches, it almost reaches the bottom of your bumper. So it sits low to begin with..... Then comes in: how low your car is dropped, etc. That means the lower you are, the more lower to the ground the filter that sucks IN AIR (ie.water "hydrolock") and the more at risk you are of hydrolocking your engine. So, the guy in charge of performance parts, should go back to studying about cars and take into consideration that he is giving people the wrong advice simply because he probably doesn't realize people drop their cars, etc. Those are my 2 cents. There is no reason nor explanation more obvious for this guy's case in this forum than: hydrolock. Plain & Simple. I experienced it, and it sure as hell wasn't that low (my caR) and the inches of water were way less than 16''.

As for the bypass Valve: it is worth it. If you are willing to get a CAI you should be willing to spend an extra $25 on the bypass valve that might salvage your engine. Instead of in the end, it ending up to cost you $5,000 for a brand new engine b.c you wanted to be stubborn and listen to one man's advice. I am no expert (I grant you that), but this happened to me, so I am speaking from experience. One last piece of advice: Don't ever settle for the first opinion, because it's usually wrong.

P.S. You'd be surprised how deep puddles get, and how shallow you might just think they are. lease:

-NiKi

Last edited by NKMarin2003; 06-17-2003 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2003
Registered!!

SMBFC is an unknown quantity at this point
any new updates on this, its like a open ended movie/book!!!!