Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Throttle Plate Edging DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Throttle Plate Edging DONE!

Read this first: Throttle Plate Edging
It wasn't too tough. Took me maybe 3 to 4 hours. I still wanted to polish the inside of the throttle body a little more, but who cares...
The stock TB has screws that stick out from one side and the other. I used countersunk screws and I filed them down on the side that they protrude. I also made some countersunk holes for them to slide in to. Some red Loctite and I was all set. I also knife edged the TB plate. Well, not quite a knife edge... I did make it flow better though, at least in theory. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

More pictures here: Click Me!
DIY coming soon. Another engine mod! Joy!
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Looks good! Did you get to run it yet? Any difference in power or throttle response?
Old 11-23-2002
DIY King

Yep, I had the car all to myself and I tried it out. There's a nice difference in the top end and the throttle response is better as well since I tightened the throttle cable. I get a very good chirp in 2nd without really trying. I wonder what it dyno's at after this modification? Would anyone be interested in sending me their TB's for this DIY. I would charge something like $50. Anyone? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-23-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
Wow.....your plate is soooo clean. My plate has some black stuff on the edges.

Old 11-23-2002
DIY King

Yeah, Havok2k1 told me that was carbon buildup. We'll see if I get more of that when I take my TB off again a little later. I just took it off with the steel wool and some WD-40.
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd do it for $50, but the problem is, how do i get around. haha. hmmmm. maybe just give me a DIY?
Old 11-23-2002
DIY King

[hr]Originally posted by: NitehawkVTEC
I'd do it for $50, but the problem is, how do i get around. haha. hmmmm. maybe just give me a DIY?[hr]
I'll make a DIY anyway, but if a couple of people could live without their cars for a week or so then I could save up enough money to just buy a new TB from Honda. Then I could do the plate edging and screw countersinking and ship it out to someone. Then when they got it they could install it and they could ship me their original TB. Without any damage of course. This would have to be a pretty big business to actually make money, I think like at least 10 customers would do for starters. Can I get a show of hands? Who wants a TB that has it's throttle plate edged and it's screws countersunk and it's walls polished?
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

DarkCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
You can do mine in a few weeks!
Old 11-26-2002
You boost, I-VTEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
if i can find another one im so sending it to you.
Old 11-26-2002
DIY King

[hr]Originally posted by: DarkCivic
You can do mine in a few weeks![hr]
Hehe, k3wl. A customer. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

[hr]Originally posted by: Hawk
if i can find another one im so sending it to you.[hr]
Hmm... Yeah, not so fast though. I'm having problems with the car now. The DIY will be long and complex and will encompass a lot more than just the throttle plate edging. TPS adjustment, IAC adjustment, plus a hack to prevent rpm surge betwean shifts. Still working the bugs out, but I'm positive I can get everything down soon. Right now my car idles at 1,500rpm because of a whole lot of things. It's a tough DIY. You can do it in about 6 hours, but you can't get let anything get out of adjustment. Otherwise you'll have a higher idle or lower idle (not as good). It's a bitch and a half to work on to do the adjustment, but once I figure this stuff out it should be a lot easier for the next person to do.
Old 12-06-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
After looking at those pics, I think I'll look into buying a used throttle body and work on it. That's how I did my struts and Konis. Got a set of struts from an almost new wrecked Civic for $125 and then did the mods, so I still have a set of OE struts. If I find one, I'll post the cost.
Old 07-17-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
So grey, what exactly did you do to it?