Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Building up Miyuki (a.k.a. Josh's mod progress thread) - PART 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Building up Miyuki (a.k.a. Josh's mod progress thread)

Yes, more vinyl. Well, kinda. I re-did the pinstriping on my lip kit because the front driver corner of my lip kit rubbed up against a curb at a park. Dude at the entrance gate (it's a protected Bureau of Land Management park) and what I didn't realize is the curb that was just forward of the kiosk shack thingy jutted out further than I had expected. Not much damage, just looks like someone took some 400 grit sandpaper to it. But, it also fcked up the pinstriping there. Also, I've been toying with the idea of reflective pinstriping. So I got reflective pinstriping. 3M Scotchcal, to be specific. I splurged for the good stuff. I also decided to try it out on the new spoiler, too. Not sure how I feel about it, as some times I look at it and like it, and other times I think it's too extra. It stays for now. In the daytime, it looks like regular red. However, at night it lights up like a laser beam when the light hits it right. I've also seen people do the vertical bits on the lip kit and I have not liked any one of those I saw, so that's not happening.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

The laser/neon effect is cool
xRiCeBoYx (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Looking sharp bro!
xRiCeBoYx (05-22-2021)
Old 05-25-2021
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings users *ahem* I mean....

Yeah, more vinyl. I had have a bunch left over from when I pinstriped the lip kit and spoiler with the reflective stuff, so I went (almost) full send and put a red reflective ring around the lip of my rims. I must say, it does help in covering some gnarly curb rash. Anyways, I'll keep the commentary short and sweet today and let the pics speak for themselves. There are gaps in the red ring bc that's where the little dips in the rim spokes are. That's literally the only thing that made this a pain in the ***. The 2020 Sport hatchback rims would be so much easier to do. I was staring at my roomie's 2020 Sport hatch's rims as I was doing mine and glaring in envy of the ease that those rims would've been. Anyways, without further ado...

Flash / No flash:

and some night shots

I couldn't tell this wasn't in focus until I got home. lol

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 05-26-2021 at 12:03 AM.
Colin42 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,330 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The following 4 users liked this post by BrotatoChip:
Colin42 (05-26-2021), FRSam (05-26-2021), sdaidoji (05-26-2021), xRiCeBoYx (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...needs under-glow.

looks good bro 😁
Old 05-30-2021
Administrator
Administrator

May 30, 2021 mini update: did a small change on the spoiler pinstripe. Took off the original stripe that followed the bottom of the spoiler and re-did it to follow the top line. Gives it a bit more pop. I think that's what was originally bugging me about it

And a shot from last night after it got dark

And for comparison's sake
Old 05-30-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if someone back ends you now, then it means they really like you rear end
Old 06-10-2021
Administrator
Administrator

So.. got this in the mail (posting on the 10th, but technically got it in yesterday..). FK8 steering wheel (yes, it swaps into all other trims, everything else on the wheel-- airbag, controls, paddle shifters, etc. -- swaps right over) and 2017+ Accord Sport endlinks (Aluminum endlinks, beefier than the FK8 ones) going in.. .sometime..

Awaiting more vinyl (yes. more vinyl) to come in so I can wrap the silver on the steering wheel, then this bad boy is going in. The endlinks will prolly be tomorrow. More important things happening tonight (Game 6 Avs at VGK )
Old 06-10-2021

Nice! 😁
Old 06-12-2021
Administrator
Administrator

Welp, I didn't install the endlinks yet. I underestimated the time it took to wrap the silver trim on the steering wheel. For those of you that want to wrap that, I'd advise against it. It's definitely to easy to wrap. So much wasted vinyl....... ANYWHO, instead, I just did the steering wheel today, and by golly, it's purdy. I was gonna make a DIY guide, but there's a really good one on YouTube:
Only special tools you'll need is a T30 torx bit (for the airbag screws) and a 10mm hex bit (for the steering wheel mount bolt). I used a 3/8" drive hex bit socket and an impact wrench to take it off. My torque wrench was buried and nowhere to be found, so I just used 1.5 ugga duggas to tighten it back down (36ft-lb is the spec, 6.9ft-lbs for the airbag screws). Without further adieu.... PICS!

For comparison's sake..

Yes, it's turned ever so slightly. There were reference marks on the steering wheel spindle, and I made extra pencil marks when I was removing the old one to make sure the FK8 wheel would be aligned.

Doesn't it just tie everything together? lol
The following 2 users liked this post by xRiCeBoYx:
Colin42 (06-13-2021), sdaidoji (06-13-2021)
Old 06-17-2021
Administrator
Administrator

Allllllrrriiiggghhhtttyyy then... I finally got around to installing the endlinks, and for some reason I decided it was a good idea to do it when it was 115F (46C) outside. The ground was hotter than ****, but alas, I committed to doing the swap. Only took me longer than 15 minutes because I took a break to snap some comparison pics of the old vs. new endlinks. For those wondering, the endlinks between the FC1-4 Civics (2016-2021 coupe/sedan), FK7 Civics (2017-2021 hatches), FK8 Civic (2018-2021 Type R), CV1-3 Accords (2018-2020), and RW-chassis CRVs (2017-2020) are all interchangeable. The CRV and Accord use cast aluminum endlinks (same part number for both Accord and CRV), the FK8 are metal, also (steel maybe?), and the FC1-4/FK7 Civics use plastic endlinks.

Here's a pic (shamelessly borrowed from eBay) of the FK8 endlinks. Part number 52320-TGH-A01, list price on these guys is $56.36/ea ($39.22 at Majestic)

And here's my comparison pics of the FK7 vs the CV1 endlinks (FK7 on the left, CV1 on the right)

Now, why the Accord endlinks over the FK8 ones? Because I paid a whole $16.81/ea (plus shipping) for the Accord ones, that's why. Aftermarket endlinks are upwards of $100/pair, and I snagged these for $33.62 for the pair. That, and they seemed to be constructed similarly to the EM2 rear endlinks that had a nasty habit of snapping with a 21mm bar. I'd rather avoid those second-hand PTSD feels since I upgraded those endlinks when I upgraded to the RSX bar back then. Also, why you may ask. Did some research, and while the OEMs will do their job with an upgraded RSB (a good time to remind you that I upgraded from the OEM 16.5mm to the FK8 20.5mm RSB), they'll fail a bit prematurely. Figured I'd nip it in bud sooner rather than later. For the price of 5 venti Starbucks drinks, these endlinks can be had. A worthy sacrifice.
sdaidoji (06-20-2021)
Old 06-18-2021
Administrator
Administrator

MORE NEW STUFF?!?!

Yes! Well, my hand was kinda forced. About a week or 2 ago, I done messed up and spilled a bit of superglue onto my center console armrest. Turns out, cyanoacrylate and the center console don't play nice, since a bit of smoke and a nice little divot formed in the foam/fabric padding of it. I looked up replacements, and just the one side piece alone costs $100 new from Majestic Honda, and there aren't any junkyards around that have anything newer than 2008s. eBay was a bust, too. That prompted me to buy some fancy pants stuff, particularly, RedlineGoods center console covers. I've had one of their shift boots in my EM2 and holy crap, that was some quality leather they sent. Figured I'd give 'em another shot, and I'm glad I did. I opted for black Nappa leather (which incurred a 30% upcharge over the standard leather) with red stitching. I also had a 20% coupon for signing up for their emails, so that helped. Still ended up being like $155 shipped (from Poland, $14.95 tracked shipping). They also have free untracked shipping for those so inclined to choose that route. Install was only a pain in the *** since I'm **** retentive and wanted to make sure everything was as perfect as I could get it. lol. Spray adhesive, contact cement, and a **** ton of patience is all it took. Well, that, and 2 bolts to hold on the center part of the center console cover. Nevertheless, this leather is so much nicer than the **** fabric Honda opted for from the factory. Anyways, pics!

Old 06-18-2021
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

You and your red accents!
Colin42 (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021
Administrator
Administrator

Funny enough, blue is my favorite color. Just didn't vibe well with this.
Old 06-19-2021

Looking good man 😁
xRiCeBoYx (06-19-2021)
Old 06-26-2021
Administrator
Administrator

This vinyl thing.... I just wanna wrap everything. lol. I had some scrap and decided to wrap the center of the rear spoiler with the same 3M 1080 CFS12 carbon fiber. We'll see how I like it in the daylight. It's just the top (didn't wrap it around the front or rear edges).
p.s. knifeless tape is a beautiful thing

Colin42 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-30-2021
Administrator
Administrator

So... I no longer have a car payment. I have an overly extra spreadsheet where I keep track of my hours worked, paycheck, budgeting, etc. and made a realization: "I have $195 left on my car loan and I'm window shopping for other pew pew parts that are far more expensive than that? Let's pay this bish off."
So, yeah, I made a payoff on my car, and assuming everything is copacetic, should have my title delivered to me in a few weeks. Paid her off 18 months early, no less, so hooray! lol

I mean, I knew I was gonna pay it off here soon, so I pre-emptively purchased a celebratory gift. There's evidence of what it actually is, but, for now, I'll just leave this here as a teaser..

edit: 糞。日本語をどうやって読むのか忘れてしまいました。

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 06-30-2021 at 05:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xRiCeBoYx:
Colin42 (07-01-2021), sdaidoji (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021
Administrator
Administrator

@sdaidoji I can't tag you in an edit, but I think you'd appreciate it out of.. well.. maybe anyone that's active on this forum.
Old 06-30-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I got the **** part of the phrase
Colin42 (07-01-2021)
Old 06-30-2021
Administrator
Administrator

it said, "****... I forgot how to read Japanese..."

Anyways, the box had genuine Mugen FK7/FK8 window vent visors. The replicas I had warped badly (oddly, the rears only, and in the same exact spot on both), and, while still useable, they rattled something fierce against the window and had a fatty divot in the top center where it warped. Let's just hope the Mugen ones don't warp, otherwise I'll prolly be a bit sad and just keep on keeping on. lol
Overall, the replicas looked great. They definitely looked the part. They had extremely minor fitment issues that only someone as **** retentive as me would notice, but the positive is they were much cheaper and darker than the genuine Mugen set. If you didn't know they were real Mugens without looking that hard, you really couldn't tell. In fact, the car, with the Mugen visors, looks just about the same as it did when I first installed the replicas

So Josh... why not just buy another set of the replicas if they look the same...?
Well... I wanted some gucci parts, and I figure that if they're made to the same spec as the non-Mugen OEM ones, they'll put up with the heat. That, and there are a few differences:
  1. None of the fitment issues I noticed with the ProCivic replicas
  2. The fronts have a rubber piece that hovers just above the windows and is on about the back third of the visors. I'm pretty sure they're for water and wind deflection purposes.
  3. The Mugens have plastic pins that connect to brackets that go under the weather seal. A bit of extra security as opposed to the 100% adhesive attachment of the replicas.
  4. This sexy little bit on both of the rears:

Also, back off. I just paid her off and she deserves the best. Haters, bring it on. They make me happy, and she's my car.
Colin42 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

my driver's window is not working, not feeling like pulling the boot to check that, so no window vent visors for me :P
Old 07-01-2021
Super Moderator

Hey, I paid my car off a long time ago. Maybe it's time to buy a gift as well
sdaidoji (07-01-2021)
Old 07-23-2021
Administrator
Administrator

In today's episode of "Josh has a perpetual need to f--- with s---" I started wrapping my interior door panels. I know what you're thinking.. F'in more vinyl Josh...?

HAH, jokes on you sucker. Today's wrap is fabric. Picked up some 2-way stretch microsuede from etsy for like $20 ($11 before shipping and tax) and decided to cover up the ugly scratch prone plastic above my door arm rests. It'd be stupid easy if Honda didn't plastic weld the one section in place... I will say though, all 4 doors only took me a few hours. Burned through the first 2 Fast and Furious movies, and about 1/3 of the way through Tokyo Drift.

Before (passenger side for reference, yes, the sun sucks for pics sometimes)

Wrapped and laying on my bed for pics

Closeup

aaaand installed.

edit: finished all 4 doors in the span of about 3 hours.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 07-23-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Colin42 (07-23-2021)
Old 08-13-2021
Administrator
Administrator

Got my first piece of my next project: a touchscreen head unit from a 2020-2021 Civic Sport. I guess these head units can sense what peripherals are attached and will grey out/not display functions that aren't present. They also have external AM/FM tuners, so I have that on the way, got it for $70 on eBay. I also have an OEM GPS antenna on the way. $25 for the Honda Hack (rooting the Android system), and I can add damn near anything I want to add to this. MSRP for the head unit alone is just about $2k, and I snagged this used unit (used for appx 1000 miles) for $250 shipped from a member on CivicX. There's also a dude on CivicX selling a harness for $80 to make it effectively PnP install. Only other thing(s) I'm waiting on are some antenna adapters
Old 08-18-2021
Administrator
Administrator

Sooooooo.. Everything came in, and in normal Josh fashion, I could not wait to install everything. So I installed everything. I was waiting on the dude that sold me the head unit to give me the radio code, but I got impatient (it's been a few days since I've asked) so I plugged my roomie's 2021 Sport Hatch VIN into the Honda radio code site. And it worked. I did a happy dance. Just FYI, list price on this head unit (screen + brains) is in the realm of $2800 + shipping from Honda. Using sites like Majestic Honda, in the realm of $1800-1900. On eBay, the screen alone is like $400, and the head unit itself is like $125. I nabbed this guy for $250 shipped. The downside to upgrading to this head unit, I needed to buy an AM/FM tuner (the OEM one for this head unit is external and mounted rear passenger side) and luckily the eBay shop accepted my offer of $70 shipped (OEM is like $250), and I bought an OEM GPS antenna (like $25). Add some antenna adapters, and a PnP harness some dude on CivicX makes for $80, and I got me fancy *** touchscreen. I also bought the HondaHack Pro version ($25) so I can do fancy **** with it, and I now have Android Auto functionality in my car.

Parts list:
  • 2021 Civic Sport OEM touchscreen head unit (with volume ****; P/N's 39101-TGG-AB1 [head unit]/39710-TBF-A61 [display])
  • ‏‏OEM AM/FM tuner (P/N 39800-TBA-A11)
  • ‏‏OEM GPS antenna (P/N 39835-TBA-A01)
  • ‏‏Metra 40-VU42 Antenna adapter
  • ‏‏Mobilistics Civic antenna adapters (x2)
  • Head unit retrofit PnP harness (from @Zed on civicx.com)
BrotatoChip (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021
Administrator
Administrator

And because I'm completely ridiculous..

Old 08-21-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

glad it worked!
Old 08-30-2021
Administrator
Administrator

So.. PSA. Don't drink and internet shop, kids. Okay, I wasn't really drinking and window shopping. Just rifling through my e-mail and saw Raceseng (the company whose shift **** I used in my DIY **** adapter setup) was having 30% off discontinued items, which so happened to include the "series" (ish...) of ***** I used. Above, I have a Raceseng Topology **** in gold. What I impulse bought was a Raceseng Sphereology (same core, different delrin cover shape. This one is spherical instead of.. whatever you wanna call the other shape. Cylindrical? idk) in translucent red. I'll prolly swap them out as my mood changes, or I'll just make a stick of beating pimp cane walking cane with the shift **** as the handle. Maybe I'll make it and give it to my semi-crippled friend (he has a degenerative spinal disc condition and has been prescribed a cane full time, even walking around his apartment). Or... I'll get it cerakoted the color I was hoping the gold would be and make the red one the cane handle. Or I'll swap the covers and have a red cylindrical one and a gold spherical one. Who knows? Unless someone wants to toss me an offer for the gold one with their cover of choice (retail is like $145, just FYI). Anywho, I installed the red one today. That is all.
Old 10-17-2021
Administrator
Administrator

Sooo.... a few days ago, I was startled when I locked my car and it made this loud *** buzzing noise coming from the back driver's side. Turns out, a semi-common problem with the 10thgen's is the fuel door lock actuator will half fail and buzz like a full auto airsoft gun (yes, I shot this video and used a 12-V power supply to test it out):
Luckily, the part is fairly inexpensive at like $30+shipping online, and takes all of 10 minutes to install.
For anyone that needs to replace it, this video I found was super helpful:
The following 3 users liked this post by xRiCeBoYx:
BrotatoChip (10-18-2021), Colin42 (10-17-2021), ES2Spec (02-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Building up Miyuki (a.k.a. Josh's mod progress thread) - PART 1