Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Building up Miyuki (a.k.a. Josh's mod progress thread) - PART 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Building up Miyuki (a.k.a. Josh's mod progress thread)

Miyuki was yelling at me that I don't buy her shiny bling. So, of course, I bought her some shiny bling.

Josh.. you really spent $17 on a 5-pack of PasswordJDM fender washers..?

Hell no. I found these on wish.com. Sure, it took a month to get here, but I only spent $2 (one of those free-pay shipping deals) on a 10-pack and they look the real deal. If you decide to venture down the path I took for these washers, just be warned that the 20-piece is 10 washers and 10 bolts. Not 20 sets. They're also not holding anything structural. The outboard set are holes I made for the engine side covers. The inboard set are the top headlight bolts. I may upgrade those bolts with quality ones from the hardware store later, but they're still non-structural. They look good af tho, no?
Old 08-23-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
They look good af tho, no?
They do look good AF!! I also like how Honda keeps the engine components uncovered.
Old 08-25-2019
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh. first issue with the vinyl on the hood. Kind of a small issue, but it still bugs the crap out of me. The listing said the vinyl was gonna be good for 5-7 years without fading. Welp, this ****'s on its way to becoming a pastel pink pinstripe, and it's only been 2 weeks.
Old 08-26-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Well... the knockoff PasswordJDM fender washers may look the part, but the bolts they came with are likely hot garbage and I decided to upgrade them to stainless steel bolts from the hardware store. But I couldn't just leave them all silver looking like that. Ruins the color scheme. So I painted them gold. They ended up being a "burnt bronze" kinda color because I coated them with VHT satin clear and baked them to cure the ceramic clear coat. I also changed out the hood mounting bolts on the hood hinge since I had 6 extra fender washers laying around. Those were tightened down by using a 4mm impact allen bit and a 1/4" socket and socket wrench, and only tightened down one at a time. It's secure, I promise you. LOOKIE!

Also, update on the vinyl. They straight refunded me my $15 for the roll of tape and told me it was only intended for interior use, despite it saying "for interior or exterior applications." Yeah, stay away from VViVid vinyl guys. 3M or Avery. I wanted to redo my hood anyways, right?
Old 08-30-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Incredibly surprised at how this picture came out, considering it was from my cell phone and not my SLR. Sunset made the sky pretty colors, and my car looked cleaner than it actually it. lol. Roomie's ex-t coupe for bonus points, and he just washed it.

Old 09-01-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Sport badge vinyl overlay came in. I kinda messed up the "R" but managed to salvage it best I could. That's what I get for applying vinyl in the sun/heat.

Old 09-01-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

If you don't tell anyone 98% of people will never notice
Looks good dude
Old 09-04-2019
Administrator
Administrator

I know I said I was done vinyl wrapping... but I'm not. I had to re-do my hood. The Avery stuff was pissing me off and the red carbon fiber turned pink. I got refunded the $15 for the roll, then they changed the Amazon listing to say "for interior use only." Oh well. Decided to go back to old faithful 3M 1080 carbon fiber and used 3M 1080 Gloss Dragon Fire Red for ½" pinstripes (as opposed to the ¾" pinstriping I had before). That gloss dragon fire red is some pretty stuff man. It's like.. a metallic candy red. Best way I can describe it. And it's not metallic in the sense that they put a metallic flake in the color like my interior, the backing is actually silver colored. Fancy pants stuff, yo.

Before. Bonus sample swatch. lol. Look how faded that crap is.

After. much better.

Had the red continue down below the grill this time. Little red fang looking bits.
Old 09-06-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Stupid heat and vinyl.. I don't feel like re-doing it again, so what I'ma do to cover up gaps is put a thin (1/8") gold pinstripe over the gap

Old 09-06-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Oh, that sucks.

Maybe a gunmetal chrome would be cool, like a dark grey/blue chrome.
Old 09-06-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Following the red/gray/gold motif.

Works, at least in theory bc I'm planning on going with gold rims, Iron Man is my fave marvel superhero, 49ers football team, VGK hockey team. All with a red/gold somewhere in their color scheme. lol
Old 09-12-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Finished up the reason why I cut out the holes in the faux vent

Mounted an intake duct in the bumper. The stupid funnel thing was a TIGHT fit.

But, I got it sitting pretty behind the vent. It's kinda pushing up against the soft shroud next to the fog light, but it's posing no issues that I can see.

Inside the engine bay, I fabbed up a heat shield to perform 2 functions: 1) help radiate heat away from the intake filter and 2) serve as a mounting point for the intake funnel duct
The heat shield box itself. Its made of 2 layers of fiberglass cloth, and 2 extra layers of resin, with some black mica powder mixed into the resin to give it the color. The right (passenger) side and underside have heat barrier tape (roomie gave it to me bc he had extra) and since I only had enough for those 2 faces, the backside has a layer of adhesive-backed silver carbon fiber (dry) that I bought a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGG time ago and never got around to using it. In fact, I forgot what I originally bought it for. lol. I have some rubber edge guard on the way and I'm gonna put that on the edges to help prevent delamination of the layers of fiberglass/rolling of the tape edges

And pics of just the heat shield installed

And the whole shebang installed. 2 brackets made, one on the front side. I doubled up the mounting points for the MAF bracket and the heat shield bracket. On the backside, I used a factory intake mounting point. Both brackets were made from aluminum stock bought from Home Depot, painted in black BBQ grill paint.

from the backside of the heat shield, the duct going into the bottom of the box

and proof of function:

painter's tape stuck onto the radiator cover, doubled over so it didn't stick to the filter.

Leaf blower aimed right into the intake funnel in the bumper.

Sure, this mod was really because I was bored. lol. BUUUTTT, it did help quite a bit. Check out my thread on IATs
Old 09-12-2019
Administrator
Administrator

So.. about that stupid gap in the vinyl....

Sure, there's a little bitty *** bump there, but it's covered now. You'd have to be looking for it at this point. I think the color scheme is great. I may be biased (Iron Man.. SF 49ers.. Vegas Golden Knights..), but it really does look good.

Old 09-13-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Daytime pic, albeit no sun
Old 09-13-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Gold in engine bay, must be Ferrari.

Lookin good
Old 10-06-2019
Administrator
Administrator

It's been far too quiet in this thread. lol

Here's what I've got planned for her.. in no particular order
  • Gundo exhaust mod. Probably 1.5" muffler bypasses. Possibly 1.25". Most likely the next thing to happen to my car, if the price is right. If it's ~$100, down like a clown.
  • PRO Design honeycomb front grille
  • Si Springs or Eibach Pro-kit. Dunno if I want 10 or 18mm drop (respectively) or if I want an overall stiffer spring rate or one with a progressive rear spring rate (that's overall softer than the Si set)
    • Si springs: 144/208 lb/in F/R spring rate, lowers ~10mm
    • Pro-kit: 157 lb/in front / 120-183lb/in rear, lowers 0.7"/~18mm
  • ABS Dynamics CTR-Style spoiler and vortex generators (if I can find these in stock..)
  • Either AudioControl LC2i or LC6i and upgrades speakers all around.
    Maybe one of these bad boys put under the passenger seat Maybe one of these bad boys put under the passenger seat
    for a bit more low/mid range
  • I've really, really, been on the fence of whether or not I want to retrofit a hondalink (infotainment) headunit into my sport hatch. I like some features, but really dislike all the problems I've read online and saw my buddy experience.
  • LED footwell lighting for the rear
  • Morimoto Mini H1 HID retrofit (not just PnP HIDs)
  • May or may not go with the Morimoto xB LED yellow fogs. I'm quite content with my amazon-special LED bulbs at the moment.
  • OptionLab R716 bronze wheels. Still deciding on 18x8.5et45 or 18x9.5et35. If only they made an 18x8.5et35, i'd nab those in a heartbeat. I am leaning towards the 18x9.5's, though. Maybe wrap them in some 265/35's
  • 27WON BBK if I'm feeling frisky. If I want something a bit cheaper, Nissan rogue (w/ 3rd row seating) rotors and genesis brembos. I'd definitely need the 18x9.5's if I went that route
  • PRO Design window deflectors/visors. Decided with these (if I'm gonna get 'em) due to cost. And ProCivic gave me a discount code. lol
  • CTR steering wheel
  • Seriously contemplating CTR front seats.
  • Mishimoto oil catch can. Pushing more boost than stock, may be a good idea. Don't quite wanna spend $190 on that sucker though
anyone else got any suggestions of what they'd like to see on a 10thgen hatch? I'll see if it fits in the style I wanna roll with

edit: forgot the mod I'm thinking of getting next. The gundo exhaust mod. For those unfamiliar with it and don't feel like googling, it's basically small muffler bypasses for exhaust tone purposes. Here's what it looks like on a civic sport hatch exhaust. Photos courtesy of user blksprthtchbck© on civicx.com. Sound clip video of his after the pics. I think it sounds a whole helluva lot better than any aftermarket exhaust out there, at a fraction of the price, too. Most 10thgen exhausts go for $850+. Not too loud, just enough to know something is there. The stock exhaust has been determined to not be a limiting factor on the L15B7 platform.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 10-06-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2019
Administrator
Administrator

A teaser of what's going in tomorrow...

Note: not the actual product going in.. It's a test of the thin--.. You get the point. If you know where to look, you'll know what's about to change on Miyuki
Old 10-17-2019
Administrator
Administrator

And here it is.
Name:  C5ucrbBh.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  143.1 KB

More OEM+ modification, this time a 3rd brake light flasher. Got it for $40 shipped from a guy on CivicX that sourced all the parts. If you're interested in one, it fits all 10thgen hatches, but he's backordered until November. He's also sourcing parts for at least the sedan (not sure if the coupe uses the same connectors). But I digress.

There are 16 different configurations, and the one I have it on is flashing 5 times followed by a "breathing" effect. We'll see if this garners any unwanted attention from the boys in blue. lol.

The statute
authorizes a motor vehicle to be equipped with one or more 5 supplemental stop lamps. The lamps may be mounted on the rear of the vehicle or 6 in the rear window, and may emit a flashing or pulsing light for not more than 5 7 seconds when initially activated. Additionally, the lamps: (1) may display a red, 8 amber or yellow light; (2) must be activated upon application of the brake; (3) may 9 be integrated into the high-mounted stop lamp of the vehicle, if any;
Yeah, this'll pulse for more than 5 seconds. lol. Oh well, It's an easy fix if I get cited for it

OEM (just for comparison sake)

And with the flasher module installed

and another angle. Realized idgaf if people know my license plate number. Do something.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	YearlyWavyHake-size_restricted.gif
Views:	38
Size:	4.00 MB
ID:	112553  
Old 10-17-2019
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Looks great!!

I have seen a few Subaru's around me with flashing brake lights and thought it looked cool.
Old 10-24-2019
Administrator
Administrator

CVT Shift boot? What? Why? Because ***** and giggles. Seriously. lol

Shift boot is from dboyshiftz.com, red BRIDE fabric. $28 prolly could've gone somewhere else, but I can't own a car and not continuously tinker with it. I was going through withdrawals. haha

Also wrapped the shift indicator panel in some scrap carbon fiber vinyl I had laying around, just because. And painted the shift boot collar satin black because the chrome was most definitely out of place.
Old 10-31-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Just a teaser mock-up of my upcoming project

Y'all know how Miyuki is in a constant state of change and I like fabbing stuff up. Let's see if you can figure it out. Some of the pieces are placeholders for parts, just a test of proof of concept.
Old 11-03-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Finally back on morning shift so I can get **** done in the afternoon! Downside is I hafta wake up at 0500. Oh well, small sacrifice for the much larger amount of usable time during the day I have.

but I digress......

Azumi Miyuki (oh god, I called her the wrong name.. Nobody say anything! RIP Azumi) gets to breathe a bit easier now. Or.. get cooled off easier.. You'll understand what I mean.

Got this honeycomb grille from fkxracing.com for $149.99 shipped! Ordered on a Sunday night, got the grill on Wednesday (with zero tracking info, I should add.. FedEx dude just showed up while I was working out in my garage with a big *** box), but there was no emblem included. Sent an e-mail and pondered installing it without the emblem (though it said it included it). Dude on another forum brought up a good point, and said "you didn't get what you paid for." Nevertheless, the next day, via USPS, I got a small box with the emblem, mount, and a random *** shift ****.

Anyways, got around to installing it today. Saw that a big issue regarding aftermarket grilles is the fitment on the seam across the top usually sucks, but this one lines up like a dream.

Sure, had to kinda coerce it in place (a la pliers to pull the tabs through), but no fitment issues here! Side note, you lose one bumper clip/mount for the under-headlight bracket. No big deal though. There are 2 more on that bracket, a couple on the bottom of the fender, 2 clips on the eyebrows, and 4 push-rivets holding it in place, along with a metric crap ton of clips, screws, bolts on the underside. It's not going anywhere. For you chrome grill people that want an aftermarket black grill, I'd recommend this one. It comes with piano black overlay pieces for the eyebrows, so it's not all mis-matchy.
Old 11-04-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,327 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Looking good!
Old 11-06-2019
Administrator
Administrator

So, out of sheer boredom, decided to go to a muffler shop and get a price quote on the gundo mod. After talking with the dude, he said a muffler delete would be cheaper and easier, and sound just about the same. He had me at cheaper and sound just about the same. I asked about an appointment, and he said, "if you want, give me 30-40 minutes and it'll be done." I gave him 30-40 minutes and it was done. $150 out the door after tax for the labor and exhaust tips. I expected $150 plus the cost of the tips, before tax. I decided on stock-ish looking tips, but something that looks better. Settled on the polished dual slant tips. It has a little bit of drone at 2000 RPM, but only under load. If my foot is off the throttle and it's hanging at 2k, it's not noticeable.

in-cabin, on the way home:

Sitting in the driveway
Old 11-07-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Wanted to get an aftermarket intake pipe (the soft pipe between the MAF and turbo inlet) but couldn't justify the $50+ price tag. Then a dude comes along and has one for sale for $20. Yeah, I took it. It's a Mishimoto brand. Four layer silicone tube. I might have to tinker with the bracketry I made for my DIY SRI, but for now, it's solid. Just kinda.. coerced into place. I may trim a half inch off the end, too. We'll see. Also, dunno if its an actual thing, or because i's a bit warmer out, or just placebo, but the new intake tube seemed to kill a bit of the drone I had at 2000RPM. Exhaust still sounds good, though. New video below. Features cold start, a cyclist that prevented me from an uninterrupted take off from my driveway, and a bit of a blip of the throttle to hear her growl. Don't mind the dead *** trees to the right. lol

Old 12-10-2019
Administrator
Administrator

It's been far too long since I've tinkered with my car. Got a new goodie!

Do not drag.....?

Garnish? WTF are you doing, Josh?

It's so big... (that's what she said)

And black. And shiny. Like, OEM shiny... it looks bigger than a "garnish"...

It's a rear lip from a 2020 Sport hatch. It's been verified to be a direct bolt-on for 17-19 Sport hatches. Pinstriped and ready for install. Just waiting on the exhaust finisher to arrive so I can install this thing

Here's what Miyuki's *** looks like right now.

And here's roomie's 2020 Sport hatch, and this is what Miyuki's *** will look like after cosmetic surgery
Old 12-11-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Miyuki's in the recovery room now, guys, after undergoing *** surgery.

The swap was so damn easy. I almost wrote a DIY guide, but if you can't figure it out, step away from the vehicle. Or learn to watch YouTube videos. I put the *** end up on ramps because I intended on doing the swap without removing the bumper, then I watched a video and realized it's far too easy to remove the bumper to not do so. 2 screws in each fenderwell, 4-5mm fasteners on the back end when you open the hatch, and 6 plastic body fasteners/pop-rivets is all the fasteners required to remove to take off the bumper. After that, just some molded plastic clips to release with either brute force, a plastic panel removal tool, or a happy combo of both. Word of warning, lots of debris will be in those pop rivets, so they'll be more prone to breakage than ones in say, the engine bay. Once you get the bumper off, there are 2 more pop rivets in the highest point on the inside of the bumper, 2 pop rivets/side holding the lip to the bumper, and many more molded plastic clips to release with a flathead. It's a really straightforward removal. Just work slow and take your time so you don't break ****. Installation is reverse of the install. Anyways, I have a few pics. I'll snap more when it's light out.

Old 12-11-2019
Prelude Owner

Dat a nice ***

Definitely a nice OEM+ upgrade.
Old 12-11-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by GolNat
Dat a nice ***

Definitely a nice OEM+ upgrade.
I am an *** man, for sure.

Appreciate the kind words buddy
Old 12-12-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazicardi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Rice, do you think you'll be doing a Hondata FlashPro setup anytime in the future? Curious to know what this platform is capable of. I've read online that FlashPro bumps up these Sport hatches to about 230hp & tq lol

Quick Reply: Building up Miyuki (a.k.a. Josh's mod progress thread) - PART 1