Another project car. - Page 3 - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2016   #61
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Another project car.

That's how it works, right? One step forward, two back. Roof rack looks great. Good luck with the minor issues.
maxtierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016   #62
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Thanks guys.

PCV grommet and PCV valve installed.

Pinging is still there. I have been fishing non stop so I haven't really looked into it. i still suspect a bad air sensor or fuel injection component.
Mad Dog Tannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016   #63
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Just out of curiosity I put premium in Toshi and she stopped pinging.

I know this is a band-aid and I need to find out what is not working properly. But I feel it's not damaging the engine any more.
Old 01-29-2016   #64
Registered!!

I did a little searching and found a list of things to troubleshoot. I am starting with the easiest/cheapest things first...

Ignition timing (checked, and adjusted and it made no difference).

Spark plug heat range/gap check
MAF sensor or MAP whichever it has.
Fuel pressure sensor
EGR (should throw a code)
Knock sensor (should throw a code)

I am going to recheck the timing and spark plugs first.

Then I am going to take the intake maifold apart and clean the map sensor and other sensors and TB.

Then I will test the fuel pressure sensor.

Than I will check the EGR.

The car runs very smoothly, but I can still hear a faint ping every once in a while. It will be ore critical on those hot summer days!
Old 02-14-2016   #65
Registered!!

HEATER CORE IS POPPED!

I just learned how fun it is to replace yesterday (sarcasm). I will have a youtube video of it when completed.

Also F U Autozone! I was in there for like 2 hours getting a freaking core that I ordered... so frustrating.
Old 02-15-2016   #66
Registered!!

New core is in. NO spark!!! wtf. I must have tore a wire or forgot to plug something in. I did put pretty goos amount of stress on the wiring during the R2.

What are the 2 green plugs (G collar on loom) under my dash in the center? I could not find where they went to. They may be the issue. Otherwise I am going to have to take the dash back off and see what is failing.
Old 02-22-2016   #67
Registered!!

So I forgot to plug the main relay on the right side of the dash support. I plugged it back in and it works fine. Now I just have to find what's making it ping. I am starting with the spark plugs. For now I fill it with premium and it reduces the pinging a bit...
Name:  3C66C439-88BC-4FB8-AFDE-5B3D0B880A9C_zpshh9zybop.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  277.4 KB
Old 02-22-2016   #68
Registered!!

I am planning on getting eibach lowering suspension after I deal with the pinging and recharge the A/C (had to crack it to change the heater core).
Old 03-02-2016   #69
Registered!!

I took some glamour shots in the foothills. And I will post my driving video (on youtube) soon...

Name:  ad27672e-4ef3-4bcf-baa5-b478fbdbb948_zpswtykwoi6.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  308.4 KB
Name:  71B6B561-574C-4C18-BFFC-51F2D92A03E5_zpsic6u7sok.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  409.9 KB
Name:  B77DFD0B-B509-44D6-823E-15CA0474D53A_zpsldxfbpyy.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  525.2 KB
Old 03-14-2016   #70
Registered!!

I got one of the trailing arm bushings on, it was a real pain to install. I also ordered adjsutable a arm joints (for camber), upper arm shims for rear camber, and eibach extreme lowering springs (about a 2" drop). I eliminated the ping with some ignition adjustment...
Name:  A810F06F-9D12-4B11-B2F6-FDA31A36DE8D_zpszawhp1e9.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  252.3 KB
Old 03-16-2016   #71
Registered!!

I switched back to 87 octane after the ping went away, it caused the ping to return. So I am going to use 91 octane until I can figure out what is the cause. I suspect low fuel pressure.
Old 04-23-2016   #72
Registered!!

I managed to fit a Kayak on on my coupe...

Name:  AFC8C2CA-214F-4010-8196-5AC827069950_zpsiyt9xyj5.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  331.0 KB
Old 04-28-2016   #73
Registered!!

XXWoodmanXX is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovin' the RC51. I miss my TL1000s. Put LOTS of time/$$$ into that baby. Wife, however, doesn't miss it one bit.
XXWoodmanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #74
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXWoodmanXX View Post
Lovin' the RC51. I miss my TL1000s. Put LOTS of time/$$$ into that baby. Wife, however, doesn't miss it one bit.
I miss my RC everyday.
Old 05-30-2016   #75
Registered!!

I have not updated in a while...

I installed...

Both polyurethane trailing arm bushings and most of the other bushings, they where a real pain to install.

KYB GR2 struts.

Eibach sport line springs. They lowered it a little, there is still some wheel gap. I noticed a real difference in the handling. It has a much tighter feel and more detailed feedback. I have yet to bottom out the suspension.

After installing the last few poly bushings, and adjusting the camber back to normal, I will concentrate on upgrading the mediocre combination brakes.

I plan on upgrading to Si brakes (so I can have 4 wheel disks), top shelf pads and rotors, stainless steel lines and larger wheels (if the brakes require it).

I want to make it a good canyon driver, autocross car, go cart.
Old 06-07-2016   #76
Registered!!

I bought a 12 ton hydraulic press last weekend. I am going to use it to do the lower control arm bushings and more. It is going to be very stiff (for the street) when I am done for sure.
Old 08-02-2016   #77
Registered!!

I finally fixed the pinging!

I finally broke down and checked the timing belt. I discovered it was one tooth off. After fixing it, the engine immediately idled/warmed up/ran smoother. The low end torque has returned and it is handles fast throttle changes smoothly as well.

The biggest benefit is that I can use regular gasoline again.

Next on the list o things to do...
Install adjustable ball joints, poly bushings in the front arms and get an alignment done.
Then I feel it will be ready for it's first auto-x match.
Old 10-04-2016   #78
Registered!!

All of the bushings, ball joints and shims are in and she got a alignment. It now handles and steers great.

I got a Sir front lip. Rear side spats.

My eBay, axle back, fart-can should be arriving in the mail this evening.

I replaced the A/C tensioner, timing belt tensioner, timing belt (racing belt).

I am looking for disk brake conversion for the rear brakes, and 15" wheels so that I can have a better tire selection. I am also looking into poly engine/trans mounts or inserts, because I have already torn the rear lower mount and the front left lower after about 30k miles on them.

There is now a pesky oil leak that is still there after I replaced the oil pan gasket and the front crankshaft seal. It looks like it now possibly has a slow leak from the rear main seal and it definitely does have a leak form the drain plug. I replaced the plug and got a bunch of aluminum washers, I torqued it to spec and it is still leaking, so I over torqued it and it still leaks. So next time I will try some teflon tape or a little RTV black.

I will post pics when I transfer them.
Old 10-18-2016   #79
Registered!!

I installed the fart can and realized that it is much more quiet than I expected.

I narrowed the oil leak down to the rear main seal and a little from the drain plug. So I would like to do a clutch/crank seal replacement soon.

I am also looking for rear disk brake trailing arms, so that I can swap the rear to disks. I Will also be keeping an eye out for some larger front disks and 15" wheels.

If I can save my $ I will be looking for a J30 engine to swap into her.
Old 10-19-2016   #80
pleasure spiked with pain

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen View Post
If I can save my $ I will be looking for a J30 engine to swap into her.
YES!! This is a good plan!
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote