Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Another project car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Another project car.

That's how it works, right? One step forward, two back. Roof rack looks great. Good luck with the minor issues.
Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Thanks guys.

PCV grommet and PCV valve installed.

Pinging is still there. I have been fishing non stop so I haven't really looked into it. i still suspect a bad air sensor or fuel injection component.
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Just out of curiosity I put premium in Toshi and she stopped pinging.

I know this is a band-aid and I need to find out what is not working properly. But I feel it's not damaging the engine any more.
Old 01-29-2016
Registered!!

I did a little searching and found a list of things to troubleshoot. I am starting with the easiest/cheapest things first...

Ignition timing (checked, and adjusted and it made no difference).

Spark plug heat range/gap check
MAF sensor or MAP whichever it has.
Fuel pressure sensor
EGR (should throw a code)
Knock sensor (should throw a code)

I am going to recheck the timing and spark plugs first.

Then I am going to take the intake maifold apart and clean the map sensor and other sensors and TB.

Then I will test the fuel pressure sensor.

Than I will check the EGR.

The car runs very smoothly, but I can still hear a faint ping every once in a while. It will be ore critical on those hot summer days!
Old 02-14-2016
Registered!!

HEATER CORE IS POPPED!

I just learned how fun it is to replace yesterday (sarcasm). I will have a youtube video of it when completed.

Also F U Autozone! I was in there for like 2 hours getting a freaking core that I ordered... so frustrating.
Old 02-15-2016
Registered!!

New core is in. NO spark!!! wtf. I must have tore a wire or forgot to plug something in. I did put pretty goos amount of stress on the wiring during the R2.

What are the 2 green plugs (G collar on loom) under my dash in the center? I could not find where they went to. They may be the issue. Otherwise I am going to have to take the dash back off and see what is failing.
Old 02-22-2016
Registered!!

So I forgot to plug the main relay on the right side of the dash support. I plugged it back in and it works fine. Now I just have to find what's making it ping. I am starting with the spark plugs. For now I fill it with premium and it reduces the pinging a bit...
Name:  3C66C439-88BC-4FB8-AFDE-5B3D0B880A9C_zpshh9zybop.jpg
Views: 9696
Size:  277.4 KB
Old 02-22-2016
Registered!!

I am planning on getting eibach lowering suspension after I deal with the pinging and recharge the A/C (had to crack it to change the heater core).
Old 03-02-2016
Registered!!

I took some glamour shots in the foothills. And I will post my driving video (on youtube) soon...

Name:  ad27672e-4ef3-4bcf-baa5-b478fbdbb948_zpswtykwoi6.jpg
Views: 9698
Size:  308.4 KB
Name:  71B6B561-574C-4C18-BFFC-51F2D92A03E5_zpsic6u7sok.jpg
Views: 9737
Size:  409.9 KB
Name:  B77DFD0B-B509-44D6-823E-15CA0474D53A_zpsldxfbpyy.jpg
Views: 9675
Size:  525.2 KB
Old 03-14-2016
Registered!!

I got one of the trailing arm bushings on, it was a real pain to install. I also ordered adjsutable a arm joints (for camber), upper arm shims for rear camber, and eibach extreme lowering springs (about a 2" drop). I eliminated the ping with some ignition adjustment...
Name:  A810F06F-9D12-4B11-B2F6-FDA31A36DE8D_zpszawhp1e9.jpg
Views: 9696
Size:  252.3 KB
Old 03-16-2016
Registered!!

I switched back to 87 octane after the ping went away, it caused the ping to return. So I am going to use 91 octane until I can figure out what is the cause. I suspect low fuel pressure.
Old 04-23-2016
Registered!!

I managed to fit a Kayak on on my coupe...

Name:  AFC8C2CA-214F-4010-8196-5AC827069950_zpsiyt9xyj5.jpg
Views: 9676
Size:  331.0 KB
Old 04-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XXWoodmanXX is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovin' the RC51. I miss my TL1000s. Put LOTS of time/$$$ into that baby. Wife, however, doesn't miss it one bit.
Old 05-29-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by XXWoodmanXX
Lovin' the RC51. I miss my TL1000s. Put LOTS of time/$$$ into that baby. Wife, however, doesn't miss it one bit.
I miss my RC everyday.
Old 05-29-2016
Registered!!

I have not updated in a while...

I installed...

Both polyurethane trailing arm bushings and most of the other bushings, they where a real pain to install.

KYB GR2 struts.

Eibach sport line springs. They lowered it a little, there is still some wheel gap. I noticed a real difference in the handling. It has a much tighter feel and more detailed feedback. I have yet to bottom out the suspension.

After installing the last few poly bushings, and adjusting the camber back to normal, I will concentrate on upgrading the mediocre combination brakes.

I plan on upgrading to Si brakes (so I can have 4 wheel disks), top shelf pads and rotors, stainless steel lines and larger wheels (if the brakes require it).

I want to make it a good canyon driver, autocross car, go cart.
Old 06-07-2016
Registered!!

I bought a 12 ton hydraulic press last weekend. I am going to use it to do the lower control arm bushings and more. It is going to be very stiff (for the street) when I am done for sure.
Old 08-02-2016
Registered!!

I finally fixed the pinging!

I finally broke down and checked the timing belt. I discovered it was one tooth off. After fixing it, the engine immediately idled/warmed up/ran smoother. The low end torque has returned and it is handles fast throttle changes smoothly as well.

The biggest benefit is that I can use regular gasoline again.

Next on the list o things to do...
Install adjustable ball joints, poly bushings in the front arms and get an alignment done.
Then I feel it will be ready for it's first auto-x match.
Old 10-04-2016
Registered!!

All of the bushings, ball joints and shims are in and she got a alignment. It now handles and steers great.

I got a Sir front lip. Rear side spats.

My eBay, axle back, fart-can should be arriving in the mail this evening.

I replaced the A/C tensioner, timing belt tensioner, timing belt (racing belt).

I am looking for disk brake conversion for the rear brakes, and 15" wheels so that I can have a better tire selection. I am also looking into poly engine/trans mounts or inserts, because I have already torn the rear lower mount and the front left lower after about 30k miles on them.

There is now a pesky oil leak that is still there after I replaced the oil pan gasket and the front crankshaft seal. It looks like it now possibly has a slow leak from the rear main seal and it definitely does have a leak form the drain plug. I replaced the plug and got a bunch of aluminum washers, I torqued it to spec and it is still leaking, so I over torqued it and it still leaks. So next time I will try some teflon tape or a little RTV black.

I will post pics when I transfer them.
Old 10-18-2016
Registered!!

I installed the fart can and realized that it is much more quiet than I expected.

I narrowed the oil leak down to the rear main seal and a little from the drain plug. So I would like to do a clutch/crank seal replacement soon.

I am also looking for rear disk brake trailing arms, so that I can swap the rear to disks. I Will also be keeping an eye out for some larger front disks and 15" wheels.

If I can save my $ I will be looking for a J30 engine to swap into her.
Old 10-19-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
If I can save my $ I will be looking for a J30 engine to swap into her.
YES!! This is a good plan!