Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Zef's EK "Weekend Warrior" Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011
Autocross Padawan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Zef's EK "Weekend Warrior" Build Thread!

Originally Posted by mindbomber
this thread inspired me, new smilies added.

I was tempted to name this one sdaidoji

LOL!! Man this thread has done all sorts of crazy things for this site.

Originally Posted by maxtierney

JICs are now being made in the USA. A definate step up from Taiwan. Yen is too strong for it's own good (or the dollar is too weak). Almost went this route over the Flex. Was going to pick up a FLT-A2, but couldn't pass up the deal.

My wishlist for coilovers would be Ohlins or J's.

http://www.speedstar-racing.com/stor...21ff427dc72149

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Me...&Store_Code=EM

I'd consider a JIC FLT-A1, for the track too.
Good grief... $6000 for coilovers. Those Ohlins though, hmmm...too bad they don't make them for the EK I love researching this stuff..

Also, you mentioned that having a ~100 stiffer spring rate in the rear would yield somewhere in the 2HZ range. What did you mean by that exactly? And because the front is heavier, shouldn't the front rates be stiffer?

Last edited by Zeferint; 10-24-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Just wrote a lengthy response concerning spring rates, natural frequencies and motion ratios, but lost it. Arggh! Maybe later...

Here's some freq standards:

Comfortable road car - Up to 1hz
Sporty road car - 1 to 2 hz
Occasional track car - 2 to 2.5 hz
Full track / race car - 2.5 to 3.5hz
Race car with downforce - Over 4hz

I'll try to give you a better answer later. Feeling beat from work.
Old 10-25-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Just wrote a lengthy response concerning spring rates, natural frequencies and motion ratios, but lost it. Arggh! Maybe later...

Here's some freq standards:

Comfortable road car - Up to 1hz
Sporty road car - 1 to 2 hz
Occasional track car - 2 to 2.5 hz
Full track / race car - 2.5 to 3.5hz
Race car with downforce - Over 4hz

I'll try to give you a better answer later. Feeling beat from work.
lol I know the feeling. I did manage to calculate the wheel motion ratio to be 1.7, but I don't (yet) know how this correlates with the other two.
Old 10-25-2011
Autocross Padawan

Wow I just got electric130's ground kit in the mail.. this thing is freaking amazing! quality work, man! Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-26-2011
Autocross Padawan

Just spent my eBay bucks certificate on some Toyo Roki S2K filters and Amsoil MTF... since that's pretty much the only stuff that I'd ever buy on eBay to put on my car haha.
Old 10-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Toyo Roki S2k filters are what I use as well
Old 10-27-2011
Autocross Padawan

I'm actually having second thoughts about the JRSC.. I'm debating spending the extra and go straight to procharge.. I'm looking at a lot of dyno graphs and even intercooled I haven't seen a single one push 260whp. But, a brand new procharge kit is $4k+ .. maybe I can get one used for less??

Oh and a quick update... brakes are all done except the DC2 rear calipers which I'm still trying to find for a good price. Currently saving up for the AMR engineering coils.. master poly bushing kit is already en-route along with new Honda ball joints.Thanksgiving break is going to be a busy one!
Old 11-09-2011
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

im subscribed as well. Anxious to see what you can do with your four door at the track

also, check with your local SCCA chapter and see what your qualification guides are. I'm doing the same EXACT thing you are and if you upgrade too much youll be classed in a group that you can't compete in. That bullshit bit me in the *** too man just a heads up brother. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to see what it will do
Old 11-09-2011
Autocross Padawan

Originally Posted by Running Riot
im subscribed as well. Anxious to see what you can do with your four door at the track

also, check with your local SCCA chapter and see what your qualification guides are. I'm doing the same EXACT thing you are and if you upgrade too much youll be classed in a group that you can't compete in. That bullshit bit me in the *** too man just a heads up brother. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to see what it will do
Motor swapping automatically dumps me in SM, which blows, but after doing autocross for ~3-4 years in my stock civic I felt like it was time to graduate to track days at the race course. If I can't get the funds together for the motor setup this summer I'll just run STS on my current suspension/brake setup. I decided that I'm gonna go the 89x85 route on my GSR block to achieve 2.0L, at approximately ~10.5:1 compression which will be perfect for the supercharger/nitrous combo. The added stroke from the LS crank will also add about ~15% torque. I'm gonna have a machine shop shave the crank so I can keep the oil squirters.

Also decided to graduate to a Vortech instead of a JRSC..but because vortech discontinued the GSR model I'll have to look for a used one. Not going turbo under any means.

Anyway, i'll be home from school in a couple weeks.. I don't believe I have anything planned because I'll be home for only a week...but once I come home for Christmas I'll have plenty of time to work on the car. Progress updates will come then!
Old 11-14-2011
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

what suspensions combo are you going with for your build
Old 03-21-2012
Registered!!

carfreak2300 is an unknown quantity at this point

nice build so far man, imma be following closely as well. i plan on autox and a DD as well. my 97 DX is gonna be sweet! even with the D16
Old 03-21-2012
Autocross Padawan

Well I figure I might as well update my own build thread. Still going to college full time while my car currently sits in a public parking lot 300 miles from my heated garage and tools. I am also working ~20 hours a week so I am building up a nice chunk of change which I plan to spend the first week or so that I am home haha.

My official suspension setup so far:

AMR Engineering Coils (thanks mindbomber again for that awesome reference). I am unsure currently about spring rates. I am hoping that AMR customer service will help me choose the right rates for what I am using the car for. I am guessing they're going to be pretty damn stiff, given that the quality of the shocks is superb. Remember that stiff springs doesn't mean an uncomfortable ride. It's the shocks you pair em' with.

Extended Ball Joints (check out my "analysis" of them here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ictures-d.html)
Energy Suspension Bushings
New Top Mounts

I'm split between the Kosei K4R's (12.8lb per wheel) and the Enkei RPF1 (13.7lb per wheel). Kosei is kind of a dark horse name for me; I'd probably feel safer with the Enkei's. Either way they're gonna be 16's, with 225/50/16 Star Specs.

New wheel bearings are going in front and back. The new suspension is gonna be putting stress on all kinds of parts of the car. Might as well replace them while I am tearing everything else apart.

After killing over what to get for brakes, I decided I am going to drop the $ and get 4 piston Wilwoods for the front and 1 piston rear. With the GSR (1") MC and Stainless Steel brake lines, that car's gonna stop on a dime.

Since I get camber adjustability with the extended ball joints, I might just save the money and not bother with front camber kits. For the rear I'll probably just use a different bolt and washer. Kinda ghetto, but will save me ~$400.

Sway bars are coming in after everything else is done.

If it's not getting replaced it's getting cleaned and powder coated black.

I decided for the engine bay I am going to stick with N/A. Gonna cam it, stroke it with an LS crank and rods, some head work, I/H/E and call it a day. If I got enough money leftover I am hoping I can find a mugen twinloop exhaust. That exhaust sounds like cheesecake.
Old 03-21-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

welcome back zeferint!
holiday reps, since ye were off :P
Old 03-21-2012
Autocross Padawan

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
welcome back zeferint!
holiday reps, since ye were off :P
Thanks, buddy!

New possible rim choice: O.Z. Alleggerita HLT's in that dark gray color (13.6lb a wheel). Definitely wouldn't spend any more than that though. I'm still pissed I missed out on a great opportunity to grab a set of nice Advan RGII's. Could've gotten the set (with a fresh set of Azenis) for $1100 (they're $2000 new, plus $500 for tires). Arrgh.

I'm also looking into replacing my rear windshield with that tough plastic.. forgot what it's called. I know they do it for the hatches, but it would shave easily 50 lbs if I could get one made, assuming they aren't that retardedly expensive. I wouldn't need the rear defroster anyway, I wouldn't be able to see a damn thing with the wing anyway, LOL! I'd do a carbon fiber hood too, but I'd have to paint it the same color as the car, it'd look hideous against the titanium metallic.The goal is to shave the car down 200lbs, which is a lot, but I think it's doable.
Old 05-10-2012
LEDwholesaler

LowTEC SaiMike is an unknown quantity at this point

I just stumbled on your build thread and im happy to see another sedan buddy rocking the same color . I have a question for you . what e brake cables are you gonna run on your rear discs . I was told civic Si. I wasnt too sure.

I am from San Francisco CA .

Old 06-03-2012
Autocross Padawan

Originally Posted by LowTEC SaiMike
I just stumbled on your build thread and im happy to see another sedan buddy rocking the same color . I have a question for you . what e brake cables are you gonna run on your rear discs . I was told civic Si. I wasnt too sure.

I am from San Francisco CA .
Sorry for the slow reply. Your 4DR looks awesome! Civic Si e-brake cables are ideal. You can adjust the length by using the nut on the end.

Update here, hope everyone had a great memorial day weekend. Ordering the AMR coilovers on Tuesday, big thanks to Andy for the help and to Mindbomber for the referral. Spring rates are 550F/450R. Going to cut back a bit and start out simple. Hard race bushings and a ASR sway bar are next. I got a hold of BrakeExpert and he is sending me the custom hardware necessary for an S2000 brake swap up front, and S2K discs in the rear with the 7CLP13S (99 Si, 94-01 Integra) calipers. Keeping camber and toe at 0 for now until I get accustomed to the new coilovers. After a few months I'll start tinkering with the fancier stuff like extended ball joints, etc. including upgrading to stiffer springs which AMR will provide for $52 a spring (I think, might be wrong on that). But it's awesome that these coilovers will grow with me as I become more skilled. The quality of AMR's dampers are legendary.

As far as the motor goes it's been collecting a bit of dust since my money has been poured into the suspension and brakes. The S2000 discs need 16" to clear, but some 15" do fit. I'm thinking some RPF1's with a 41mm offset will be plenty to clear. Since I am staying N/A, I want to keep the rotational mass to a minimum. I got a set of almost brand new Hoosier tires (225/40/15 Front, 205/40/15 Rear) from a local autocrosser for $250 but they need rims. So I am in the market for 2 new sets of rims. I am really glad I have resisted the temptation for a credit card...

Seeing as with the new suspension and brakes I'll be hardly able to keep my *** in the seat, I am looking at a set of race seats. A friend of mine just bought a 3rd gen RX7 and I believe he is selling the Recaro race seats out of his 2nd gen, but the interior overhaul is gonna be a whole 'nother project.

Finally, the other week I competed in an autocross event and won first place!
Name:  WP_000015.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  39.0 KB

Hopefully the coil's will be in before the 4th of July. I was told about 4 weeks, but that'll be plenty of time for me to get all the other stuff together and just put everything in at once. Found a guy that will powder coat my knuckles, calipers, sway bar, rotors, etc etc so hopefully after all this the undercarriage will look mint.

I have a video from the autocross event but it's out of car and the quality isn't that great. The in-car camera footage is stuck on the camera till the cable I ordered arrives.
More updates when the S2000 brake parts come in.
Old 06-03-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

good god.
congrats on the win.
but yer getting pretty close to jump to prepared class...
Old 06-03-2012
Autocross Padawan

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
good god.
congrats on the win.
but yer getting pretty close to jump to prepared class...
When I'm done I'll be in SM unfortunately. The brake swap dumps me into STX, which, of course, I am way underpowered for on the D16. Motor swap dumps me into SM. I am not worried though because autocross is just something that's holding me over until I start hitting track days. Once I start getting 3-4 hours of seat time as opposed to 3-4 minutes, I will probably never want to go back, haha.
Old 06-29-2012
Autocross Padawan

UPDATE!

Most of the brake parts for the S2K Conversion are finally in. Just need pads, SS brake lines and front wheel bearings

Name:  WP_000114.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  60.0 KB

Going to run Axxis Ult's front and rear.

Andy is up to invoice 632, and i'm 641, so hoping I will have my coilovers in the next couple weeks. Just bought a F7 brace from him and he was awesome enough to have it powdercoated black for me (not a bling bling kinda guy haha). The F7 brace is made out of a stronger aluminum than the ASR brace, so the extra 40$ or whatever it is makes it well worth it.

Hardrace bushing kit is also ordered as well as rear hardrace endlinks. Whatever the hardrace kit didn't cover I bought from energy suspension. Couldn't find any aftermarket front endlinks besides ES for the front on the EX front lower control arm, and I wanted to stick to the 22mm front sway bar so I'm just going to have to pray that the ES ones don't squeak. Moog do make front endlinks but I was told after Federal Mogul bought them out that they were no good. Despite this I still bought their outer tie rod ends and ball joints.

This build is going to really be picking up in the next couple weeks so please stay tuned for updates. I am looking at the weekend of July 21st to start tearing the car asunder.

Off to go see Ted, will post up more pics as the parts start rolling in!
Old 06-30-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Why did you get the s2000 rear rote redrilled? You could have just used a 02-03 ep3 rear rotor
Old 06-30-2012
Autocross Padawan

The S2000 rear rotors will give more rear braking, because the calipers will be clamping down on a faster moving part of the rotor relative to the hub thus giving more brake torque. At least that's what my research concluded.
Old 06-30-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

I don't think you understood my question. Haha. The s2000 rotor and that EP3 rotor are the same rotor but the S 2000 has a five lug pattern and the EP3 has a four lug pattern which will fit your car)

It would have saved you $ on redrilling the rear rotor into the 4 lug pattern
Old 06-30-2012
Autocross Padawan

EP3 rotors are only 10.3" S2K rotors are 11.1" BrakeExpert (mike) provided me instructions for the rear install of the S2K rotors. He actually might have the DIY up on here or H-T.
Old 07-02-2012
Autocross Padawan

All the bushings and bearings are in! Assembling the trailing arms tonight. Will post up pictures later tonight.

Name:  WP_000125.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  63.3 KB
Old 07-02-2012
Autocross Padawan

Looks like I was sent rear wheel hubs for drums not discs....damnit... looks like this assembly has to wait.

Function7 brace is on the way. Only things left for this makeover are a 24mm sway bar (ASR since I can't find a progress or comptech one) and a set of 15" wheels that have at least 13.7" inner clearance to clear the S2K calipers.
Old 07-03-2012

Originally Posted by Zeferint
EP3 rotors are only 10.3" S2K rotors are 11.1" BrakeExpert (mike) provided me instructions for the rear install of the S2K rotors. He actually might have the DIY up on here or H-T.
What the crap? S2000 rear rotors are 11.1"?
Old 07-03-2012
Autocross Padawan

Yep!

Name:  WP_000131.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  43.0 KB
Old 07-03-2012

I need s2000 rears nao
Old 07-09-2012
Autocross Padawan

The trailing arms are ASSSSSEMBLED! ..well, except for pads and brake lines.

Nothing is torqued down to spec yet.

Name:  WP_000154.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  51.8 KB

Thanks to BrakeExpert for CNC'ing the bracket to make this possible.

Still no official ETA on the coilovers yet. Wednesday will make it 2 months since the order date, but I have no doubts that they will be well worth the wait.
Old 07-11-2012
Registered!!

bfraley is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great thread! I just upgraded my DD 97 hatch suspension with GC/Koni yellows, ASR rear bracket/24mm sway, Si front brakes, buddy club front upper camber kit and SS brake lines. I also have a stock JDM B18b1 N/A and Si 5 speed with LS 5th gear. The car stays flat like crazy and it still gets 31/32 mpg during my 120 mile daily commute.

Last edited by bfraley; 07-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Zef's EK "Weekend Warrior" Build Thread!