Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Lotus Elise - just took delivery!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lotus Elise - just purchased!

Originally Posted by VTEC-2.0
@ Kenny,the Evora is a sexy beast.I have one in GT5 blacked out.
How is this

Sexier than this

...seriously
Old 01-02-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by diskreet
It's been a long time since i posted here, but I figured I'd check in. This forum was an awesome community, and if I still had a Civic I'd be here every day.

After the Civic, I had an Audi TT. Just traded that in for something a bit more... exotic.

2008 Lotus Elise, brand new, only 34 miles. Chrome Orange, all the options - touring pack, sport pack, LSD, hardtop, starsheild.

Lotus Stage II exhaust is ordered and will be put on when it comes in. I'll take delivery shortly after.

Before you ask, I haven't even driven the car. I've driven other Elises, but it was in the show room for years. Needless to say, the tech needs to prep the car before I can drive it.

Crappy showroom pics until I actually get the car:

. Sorry. I had to add that. I'm totally jelly. Congrats on the new ride!
Old 01-03-2011
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

I never said it was sexier.I just said it's sexy.lol.That Esprit reminds me of a Lambo.Mainly the front end.Price tag?
Old 01-04-2011
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold

Lol thanks MelJ you fixed it

I ordered a cover and Sector 111s re-INFORCER kit today (tighten up the shifted base to reduce play.)

If I pick it up this weekend ill try to get a video of the exhaust.
Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Get a bike! Way more bang for your buck!
Old 01-04-2011

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
Get a bike! Way more bang for your buck!
When I want a rush, I go skydiving. After 100 jumps I'm just scratching the surface of what the sport has to offer.

I got the car because I like driving. Sports bikes are fun, but too fast for the street and other drivers are too ignorant. I don't live close enough to a track to get a track-only bike, so there's just no point for me.
Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

When I want a rush, I go skydiving. After 100 jumps I'm just scratching the surface of what the sport has to offer.

I got the car because I like driving. Sports bikes are fun, but too fast for the street and other drivers are too ignorant. I don't live close enough to a track to get a track-only bike, so there's just no point for me.
You got that straight. I drove bikes for a long time. People usta lookout for bikes and were courties. Now they don't even look and if they do, they don't care.
Old 01-04-2011
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of

Nice pickup
Old 01-04-2011

BTW, Vtec-2.0 what's wrong with Toyota engines and transmissions?
Old 01-04-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

okay since nobody asked, i guess i have to. How did you get to this point where you are able to afford a lotus and you're only 24?
Old 01-04-2011

Originally Posted by gearbox
okay since nobody asked, i guess i have to. How did you get to this point where you are able to afford a lotus and you're only 24?
Lol, fair enough.

18 - 22: Work incredibly hard to get Computer Engineering degree.
Do internships, and work incredibly hard at them.
Save every spare penny for car down payment
Sacrifice any sliver of happiness for school and work, knowing it will pay off when you graduate (it did.)

22: Land job at company you did internship at (so everyone already wants to help you succeed) and get a higher-than-expected salary due to previous experience.
Live with family to keep bills to a minimum.
Buy Audi TT with huge down payment.

22 - 24: Work incredibly hard at work, get a promotion, big raises and big bonuses. Still put a lot aside for retirement, though.

24: Find a really cheap apartment with girlfriend.
Get engaged when she openly supports you wanting to buy an exotic sports car.
Immediately spend all remaining money on Lotus, trading in the TT to help. Make sure it's a few years old to take advantage of the $6k - $15k price reductions some dealerships have to try to sell them.

Looking back, I was genuinely depressed and miserable in college. Probably not very healthy, but I'm glad I suffered through it. Work, in comparison, is EASY.
Old 01-04-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

damb son! you got goals and great financial planning.
Old 01-05-2011

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

BTW, Vtec-2.0 what's wrong with Toyota engines and transmissions?
Nothing,I didn't mean anything was wrong with them.The one in the Elise/Exige is fine because the car is small and quick.But in something like the Evora,I would want something more powerful.Because the Evora is around what,$80,000?276HP just doesn't seem enough.I would take a GT-R or something.Actually,no I'd take an M3.I want an engine in a sports car that barks and bites at you.
Old 01-05-2011

Nothing,I didn't mean anything was wrong with them.The one in the Elise/Exige is fine because the car is small and quick.But in something like the Evora,I would want something more powerful.Because the Evora is around what,$80,000?276HP just doesn't seem enough.I would take a GT-R or something.Actually,no I'd take an M3.I want an engine in a sports car that barks and bites at you.
That's understandable. The Evora really isn't about power, though. If you look at it for what Lotus meant it to be compared to the Elise - larger, more comfortable, quiter, but not losing any of the core Lotus qualities like feedback and driver involvement - then it's about right. But I will admit that the supercharged version will really make the Evora what everyone wants it to be.

I personally would take an Evora over a Cayman S or even 911 any day. Everyone around here has a Porsche. Buying one basically says "I am incapable of independent thought." The Lotus might not be as quick, but it's much more fun and rewarding to drive. And that is what Lotus is all about.
Old 01-05-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone should be able to buy whatever car they like and not get criticized for it.

It's like picking dogs, some like pit bulls, some like pugs, and some like chihuahuas....for some odd reason, really up to the owner and what he/shes in the car/dog
It's their choice

And you're so lucky to be able to work so hard thru college for computer engineering and get a good paying job. I had a lot of friends lose interest in computer sciences after 2 years of studying it.
Takes a lot of determination.

Btw....since you have a degree....
Why not help fix the site? lol
Old 01-05-2011

Thanks Kenny. If I was more active here I'd help fix the site. Unfortunately, planning a wedding is taking up all my free time!
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

If I had more money I would probably have boughten this instead of my S2000 haha
Old 01-06-2011

That's understandable. The Evora really isn't about power, though. If you look at it for what Lotus meant it to be compared to the Elise - larger, more comfortable, quiter, but not losing any of the core Lotus qualities like feedback and driver involvement - then it's about right. But I will admit that the supercharged version will really make the Evora what everyone wants it to be.

I personally would take an Evora over a Cayman S or even 911 any day. Everyone around here has a Porsche. Buying one basically says "I am incapable of independent thought." The Lotus might not be as quick, but it's much more fun and rewarding to drive. And that is what Lotus is all about.
I would take an Evora too,it's on my to buy list behind the GT3.I don't know why,I really like the GT3.The Evora has a very nice body shape and it's suspension isn't stiff,but not soft either.And the Camry engine should get you reasonable MPG's.I think Lotus should make an Exige version of the Evora,I'd like to drive that.I would rep you again if I could,lol.
Old 01-06-2011

I would take an Evora too,it's on my to buy list behind the GT3.I don't know why,I really like the GT3.The Evora has a very nice body shape and it's suspension isn't stiff,but not soft either.And the Camry engine should get you reasonable MPG's.I think Lotus should make an Exige version of the Evora,I'd like to drive that.I would rep you again if I could,lol.
Lol thanks.

I'd agree about the GT3. The GT3 and GT3 RS are two of my favorite sports cars available. There are few other cars in that price range I'd even consider, but the P cars are the only ones I see myself actually buying. Maybe a used Ferrari F360, but even then I don't know.

The Evora is getting a supercharged version, but no Exige version. Maybe the 2012+ Exige will get a V6 but all in all things are staying pretty much as-is until Lotus' big change in 2015.
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

I am just curious... Why did you choose to go with something that exotic and not something else like a Z06 that is faster and still about the same price?
Old 01-06-2011

I am just curious... Why did you choose to go with something that exotic and not something else like a Z06 that is faster and still about the same price?
The Elise is not only the most fun to drive, it's also the best car for me to learn how to drive quickly with. The Z06 is a great car, but when you get into things like chassis balance and steering feel, it's no contest. The Elise behaves exactly like a true mid engined sports car should. The Z06's suspension, although well-sorted, is not nearly as good as the Lotus'.

Remember, it's always more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow. I got a 'slower' car, but I'll have a hundred times more fun in it.
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

You may be right on the feedback aspect. But I have to disagree that the suspension is better on the Lotus. They both have a nearly perfect weight ratio and perform very similarly on road tests. I do agree that a Lotus would be better to learn on, and it is more fun to drive a slow car fast. I can see you did your homework. I think your car would still give my bike a run for it's money, you would definately be able to corner and brake a whole lot better. I would love to race against cars like yours on the track.
Old 01-06-2011

You may be right on the feedback aspect. But I have to disagree that the suspension is better on the Lotus. They both have a nearly perfect weight ratio and perform very similarly on road tests. I do agree that a Lotus would be better to learn on, and it is more fun to drive a slow car fast. I can see you did your homework. I think your car would still give my bike a run for it's money, you would definately be able to corner and brake a whole lot better. I would love to race against cars like yours on the track.
Braking, maybe, but the Elise can only sustain about 1G in a turn with tires much stickier than I have. What can your bike do?
Quick side-to-side transitions, though, the Elise might be quicker.

Maybe this will make what I was trying to say clearer. When Lotus re-visited the steering and suspensions for the 2011+ Elise, they tried out hundreds of new configurations. Their analysis: it was already perfect. So they left it as-is. Think about it: That is thousands of hours of analysis done by some of the best suspension engineers of all time, and they couldn't find one setting that was better.

I guarantee if Lotus has the same development time with the Z06, they'd change a bunch of things. I'm not saying the Z06 isn't great - we know it is on a track - I'm just saying it's probably not all that close to operating at 100% like Lotus have done with the Elise.
Old 01-06-2011

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Dude, your Lotus is the perfect car!

11/10 for look and style
11/10 for handling
10/10 for being able to take it to Toyota for repairs
7/10 for top speed (but really who wants to pay tickets all the time)

....and yeah, Top Gear proved a car can out handle a bike in the corners but not on the straights.
Old 01-06-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im impressed by how lightweight it is
Old 01-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Z06 - great car, but maybe too much power for starters.
Lotus - amazing handling, not as oversteery as other mid-ship cars, and need not worry too much with the gas pedal as you would with a Z06, so great to learn more driving. I would step up to corvette in power (and step down in handling ) after driving the lotus, and maybe go back for the handling afterwards .
S2k (and some miatas) can give lots of work to corvettes if there are not so much straights in the course
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

Braking, maybe, but the Elise can only sustain about 1G in a turn with tires much stickier than I have. What can your bike do?
Quick side-to-side transitions, though, the Elise might be quicker.

Maybe this will make what I was trying to say clearer. When Lotus re-visited the steering and suspensions for the 2011+ Elise, they tried out hundreds of new configurations. Their analysis: it was already perfect. So they left it as-is. Think about it: That is thousands of hours of analysis done by some of the best suspension engineers of all time, and they couldn't find one setting that was better.

I guarantee if Lotus has the same development time with the Z06, they'd change a bunch of things. I'm not saying the Z06 isn't great - we know it is on a track - I'm just saying it's probably not all that close to operating at 100% like Lotus have done with the Elise.
That's an interesting question. I have never seen specs for cornering g's on a bike. I will have to research that one. I am curious myself. But I know that bikes lack in braking and cornering due to the lack of rubber touching the ground. It is also very difficult to brake while cornering without low siding.
Old 01-07-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

you cant really compare a bike and a car. they are two totally different animals.

there are things a car can do but a bike can and visaversa.

but i think most people hang on to the fact that a bike is "faster" than a car and it is true in the acceleration aspect due to the power/weight ratio.

if u ask my personal opinion, i will never trade my bike for any car. the feelings, emotions, thrill, adrenaline, speed and connectivity of man-machine-road is absolutely unequivocal on a bike. dont get my wrong, drive is pretty awesome too, but there is just nothing like being on a bike.

i think you can really compare this to the arguement of getting a 600 vs 1000.

any person will be able to utilize the power and their potential much better on a 600 than a 1000. sure the 1000 is quicker (like the z06) but most prople will not be able to operate at their potential with that kinda power.

i have both an 06 R1 and a 08 600rr, and ill tell u what, ill take the rr over the liter bike any day...it is because it is so much more fun and usable, especially on the streets. and unless you're rossi or equivalent, u cannot use even close to the potential of the liter bike.

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 01-07-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Hahaha very true
Need to learn to handle the power before actually getting the power

First bike I ever rode on, before learning to ride any bike...was a ninja 600....
Not a very smart idea
But was thrilling to go my first 15~20mph on a bike by myself :P
Old 01-07-2011

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi

if u ask my personal opinion, i will never trade my bike for any car. the feelings, emotions, thrill, adrenaline, speed and connectivity of man-machine-road is absolutely unequivocal on a bike. dont get my wrong, drive is pretty awesome too, but there is just nothing like being on a bike.
true that!

My bike is not a rocket by any means but the feeling of driving it doesn't compare to anything else.

Quick Reply: Lotus Elise - just took delivery!