Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

dvsidboy's - Project SI (The Space Potato)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011
2010 Civic Si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K20Z3 is on a distinguished road
Re: dvsidboy's - Project SI (The Space Potato)

Yeah it does match the car, I'll give you credit for that.

Theres this one guy in my area that drives a Jetta with bright neon green hub caps and it looks absolutely hideous. Not to mention it attracts unnecessary attention.
Old 03-03-2011
Registered!!

dvsidboy is an unknown quantity at this point

March 3rd, 2011 - XXR 009 Test Fit
For this race season I am jumping tires up to a 245/40 series V-710 R-Comp. To help fit this tire new race rims were a must....couldnt pass up the deal on these XXR 009 rims. 17x9 +35 offset. I knew they would be big for the car and require some speacial treatment to fit, the rear will be fun... Here are some photos, tires will be here tomorrow and mounted shortly after.

Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

March 4th, 2011 - Tires showed up
Well today the R-Comps showed up, looking forward to getting these mounted and start the long fun process of fitment, lol.

Old 03-04-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

slicks??
Old 03-05-2011
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

Hahaha,nice dude.Slicks ftw.You still doing auto-x or what?
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

Yeah still doing the autocross this year, running the SMF Class. Also going to be running a few Lap Battle events at Miller Motorsport Park in SLC this summer.
Old 03-05-2011

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

What are the restrictions in the SMF class?Also,how are you able to keep up with the higher powered cars like the Lan Evos?
Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by VTEC-2.0
What are the restrictions in the SMF class?Also,how are you able to keep up with the higher powered cars like the Lan Evos?
SMF is a pretty open class to my understanding...there are a few limitations though.

-- FWD Only
-- Motor Swap (Only if the car had the other motor as an option)
-- Interior can only be taken out from the end of the front seats back.
-- Few other things, but my car fits into it perfectly.

With SCCA the courses are built more around the driver than the car at times. Even though the SI would be out powered at events, the suspension on the car made up a lot of ground. Its all about momentum and with the SI dialed in on suspension it carried very well. Being smooth didn't hurt to bad either I guess.
Old 03-06-2011
Registered!!

March 6th, 2011 - Fender Roll
Today I took the car over to a friend of mine that happened to own a nifty fender rolling tool. After a few hours of magic, he was able to get the fenders to fit the new rims just right. Here are some photos of the process:

Driver Rear

Passenger Rear

Street Tire compared to Race Tire

Fitment

Also picked up the new race numbers and magnet for this year
Old 03-07-2011

Good job with the fenders.Loving your Civic man.Civics must be popular in SMF since it's FF.
Old 03-07-2011
Registered!!

jrb121180 will become famous soon enough

Nice man, your living the dream!
Old 03-07-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

you're**** haha
Old 03-10-2011
Registered!!

March 10th, 2011 - Race Mode
Here is the project SI in its race mode. Quick snap in the drive way before the storm moved in again. Still need to work on the rear a bit for fitment, either going to have to raise the car or put a little more camber in the rear.

Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

March 16th, 2011 - Skunk2 Blog Blast
Logged into the Facebook fan page today for Skunk2 and saw this little gem sitting there:

Full Blog can be found here: http://cms.skunk2.com/id/663/Civic-S...hes-EVOs-WRXs/
Old 03-20-2011
Registered!!

March 19, 2011 - Race Mode Shoot
With the race season starting in 1 week, I thought I would go do one final photoshoot in "Race Mode"

Old 03-23-2011
Registered!!

PacosTacos88 is an unknown quantity at this point

The title of that Facebook story and that photo shoot brings a happy tear to my eye...
Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

March 26th and 27th - SRRSCCA Events #1 & #2
Opening weekend was a blast, took a bit to re-learn the car on the new tires.

Saturday Recap
Little upset with the weather for the first event of the season, I was really looking forward to running on the R-Comps but Mother Nature was not a fan. For the first few runs the rear end of the SI was really loose and just wanted to kick out everywhere, so after talking with Alan Densmore (DS Driver) I was able to control the rear of the car a bit more and start working on scrubbing the tires in. After Saturday's results I was ready to sell the rims and tires and go back to a street tire setup, it was a really frustrating day for me to not be able to get the grip on the track I have been wanting all pre-season.

Saturday Results:
-- 3rd Place in SMF
-- 22nd in PAX
-- 22nd in RAW

Here is the video of my fastest run from Saturday's Event:
(never mind the new slicks at the start, lol)

Sunday Recap
Sunday looked to be a more promising day with the sun out in the morning to help dry the track off, sadly I was in the first run group again so I got a wet track for the morning sessions. This track layout started out very technical and had many off camber sweepers to deal with. The morning sessions I was able to move up to the 3rd place in the class again and was starting to think I would be struggling to run against the Mazda Speed3's in the class. After the lunch break the track was dry and starting to get fast, still working with Alan Densmore on the tires and understanding the different feels of the car in the corner can identify different areas to adjust I was finally able to start knocking some time off. After a minor spinout on the 5th run, I had the challenge set, run a low 43 second run just to jump to 2nd place. On the 6th run I jumped past my goal and ran a 42.817 moving me into the 1st place position of the SMF Class, only problem was, the red Mazda Speed3 still had two more runs. Lucky for me that time was deep enough to hold off the pressure and secure the win for the day.

Sunday Results:
-- 1st Place in SMF
-- 7th Place in PAX
-- 9th Place in RAW

Here is a video of my fastest run from Sunday's Event:
(out of car)

(in car)

Even though it was a roller coaster weekend with the car and handling I am very happy with the setup right now. I still need to work on the power side and get a flash to get some more power in the mid range...

Here are some photos from the Sunday event also. Photos are taken by Greg Myers who runs a awesome automotive blog site: http://sokudonomatsuri.blogspot.com/

Oh and YAY for cold tires and driving a bit to hot:
Old 03-30-2011
Registered!!

Pretty much the same thing I already posted, but so some support and share this on your Facebook

http://www.nwmotiv.com/editors-blog/...ace-12-update/
Old 03-30-2011

Congrats on 1st place in SMF.Car is looking good as always.Great pics too.
Old 03-30-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Great stuff, man! What made you get the sedan over the coupe? Was there a specific quality the sedan had that the coupe didn't? I'm a big sedan fan so I was pumped when I saw yours is a sedan too! Grats on first in SMF! Show those mazda boy's who's boss haha

edit: Saw the videos, that looked like a really fun track! I haven't seen those roundabout turns at our club but it's probably because the lot we work with is a bit small. The gate that you spun at though looked really tricky.. Those sweepers can be a real big pain.

Last edited by Zeferint; 03-30-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,205 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

holy sh... I have never come to see this thread so far. greeeat job!
I believe from reports of others that the 8th gen have a more neutral behaviour, contrary to the understeering pig 7th gen. partially due to the new design of the rear suspension? Not sure of the new "axle" type, though, and the separate springs and dampers. but it seems to do the job.
Also, zeferint, note how many 4-door rally cars are there. they have a stiffer chassis. added weight on the rear also will help on the understeering characteristics if well done.
front camber plates... huuunh! i wanna ditch my front crash bolts soon and go for plates. much easier to adjust than the camber bolts. -3 static camber or so? works great for sticky slicks!
Is the 8th gen with less rear neg camber gains? very curious. need to research for the dynamic camber changes in there. niiiice!

also, good to see one 8th gen. TRSCCA have none running there, the last was a few years ago and wanted to know what engine i had under the hood - D17A2 - hahaha! whatta tool!. and i am the only one with a 7th gen (usually i run the miata, but the vic gets some time when i change the suspension or if i just feel like running a FWD)

Crap, good to have some other guys taking the pics... I was usually the one that took them, so have very few of my car in action meself... The other guys that took pictures always kept them to themselves - A$$ holes...

Heck, SMF... that's tough... guess i will keep me DSP...

that countersteer smoking round the cone is exciting! Yeah!

edit: I just saw the videos... that's tight... and short course...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-30-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-31-2011
I'm an idiot.

Shambler is an unknown quantity at this point

The car looks great! Loved the green lip btw.
Old 03-31-2011
Registered!!

thefatalepic is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Your Civic is sweet. As much as I hate the 8th gen Sedan (at least I think that's what you have) you've turned it into a beautiful car.

I'm loving everything you've done to it - except for green.
Old 04-01-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by VTEC-2.0
Congrats on 1st place in SMF.Car is looking good as always.Great pics too.
Thanks man, next event is in two weekends...hopefully its nice and dry out so I can really but the tires to the test!!!!

Originally Posted by Zeferint
Great stuff, man! What made you get the sedan over the coupe? Was there a specific quality the sedan had that the coupe didn't? I'm a big sedan fan so I was pumped when I saw yours is a sedan too! Grats on first in SMF! Show those mazda boy's who's boss haha

edit: Saw the videos, that looked like a really fun track! I haven't seen those roundabout turns at our club but it's probably because the lot we work with is a bit small. The gate that you spun at though looked really tricky.. Those sweepers can be a real big pain.
I went with the sedan due to this also being my DD and need the space for the child seat in the back (Which I leave in while racing, lol)

The track layout was pretty interesting to say the least, but it was based on some national courses we have seen used in the past. The start help takes the AWD launch out of the equation.

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
holy sh... I have never come to see this thread so far. greeeat job!
I believe from reports of others that the 8th gen have a more neutral behaviour, contrary to the understeering pig 7th gen. partially due to the new design of the rear suspension? Not sure of the new "axle" type, though, and the separate springs and dampers. but it seems to do the job.
Also, zeferint, note how many 4-door rally cars are there. they have a stiffer chassis. added weight on the rear also will help on the understeering characteristics if well done.
front camber plates... huuunh! i wanna ditch my front crash bolts soon and go for plates. much easier to adjust than the camber bolts. -3 static camber or so? works great for sticky slicks!
Is the 8th gen with less rear neg camber gains? very curious. need to research for the dynamic camber changes in there. niiiice!

also, good to see one 8th gen. TRSCCA have none running there, the last was a few years ago and wanted to know what engine i had under the hood - D17A2 - hahaha! whatta tool!. and i am the only one with a 7th gen (usually i run the miata, but the vic gets some time when i change the suspension or if i just feel like running a FWD)

Crap, good to have some other guys taking the pics... I was usually the one that took them, so have very few of my car in action meself... The other guys that took pictures always kept them to themselves - A$$ holes...

Heck, SMF... that's tough... guess i will keep me DSP...

that countersteer smoking round the cone is exciting! Yeah!

edit: I just saw the videos... that's tight... and short course...
The car still pushes quite a bit, but I have run a much stiffer spring in the rear on race days to help rotate it around. Has been working great, at times the rear can get a little to tail happy, but once its balanced the car will turn on rails.

Right now I am at -3.1 in the front and -2.4 in the rear. I am about as maxed in the rear as I want to go, I might actually bring it in a bit more to a -2.0 (as long as the 245s will fit, lol)

Originally Posted by thefatalepic
Wow. Your Civic is sweet. As much as I hate the 8th gen Sedan (at least I think that's what you have) you've turned it into a beautiful car.

I'm loving everything you've done to it - except for green.
Thanks man, yeah the green is either loved or hated...no middle ground ha
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

Little blog update on my trip to the 1/4 mile this weekend.

Note to self...dont race on autocross camber settings and get better tires for drag racing, lol.

Click here for more photos and incar video: http://www.nwmotiv.com/editors-blog/...g-race-update/

Share, share, share!!!!
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

bigheadmark is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW sweet! what kind of mods have you done to the motor?
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bigheadmark
WOW sweet! what kind of mods have you done to the motor?

Right now the car has:

Go-Power 4-2-1 Header
Go-Power 3" Exhaust

But there are some big changes coming here soon
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

thefatalepic is an unknown quantity at this point

So do you have like a pro photographer that tags along with you wherever you go?
Old 04-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,452 Likes on 1,205 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dvsidboy
Note to self...dont race on autocross camber settings and get better tires for drag racing, lol.
good one!
Old 04-11-2011
Registered!!

April 9th and 10th - SRRSCCA Event #3 / #4
This past weekend was the 3rd and 4th event for the Snake River SCCA club, I was able to pull the sweep and win back to back.

Here is a photo from the event:

To read more and see the times and videos: http://www.nwmotiv.com/editors-blog/...e-clean-sweep/

Share it!!!!

Quick Reply: dvsidboy's - Project SI (The Space Potato)