show vs street - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2010   #1  
Registered!!

bl0ggy06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post show vs street

Hey guys,

I have been searching for the right wheels for my 03 EX. I was originally going to go with some sweet 18's that I found, but after reading several posts and my own threads have backed off. Now I'm looking at tricked honda's civics specifically and have found several tricked out civics and they have all had 17's and mostly 18's on them.

I have heard from here that anything bigger than 16's affect the ride, handling and braking big time. Not all of these rides are just show and did not find any that have less than 17's.

Can someone tell me what the deal is?

THis car is street cruising only. Automatic, so not racing, though might swap engine later. so for regular street driving whats the real deal? 16,17,18's
bl0ggy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #2  
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: show vs street

16's or 17's IMO. You can fit up to 19's on our civic but IMO it just looks retarded when you go that big and the ride gets worse since the tires will be really low profile like 35. 17's are ideal.
ronaldo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #3  
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo9 View Post
16's or 17's IMO. You can fit up to 19's on our civic but IMO it just looks retarded when you go that big and the ride gets worse since the tires will be really low profile like 35. 17's are ideal.
DITTO...
mr22508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #4  
Administrative Rice. WAT?!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of

I've been rolling on 17's since Jan '05 and haven't had any noticeable problems with handling or braking performance or ride quality..
Then again, with my suspension mods, it feels hella different than stock..

215/45-17 tires will get you closest to OEM diameter (bigger than OEM by about .1")
xRiCeBoYx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #5  
Registered!!

so i'm thinking 16's. what is the real difference between the 16's and 17's is it how much tire shows or is it wheel clearance? with 16's you can drop it cleaner cause you have more room to drop?
Old 03-24-2010   #6  
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of

the main difference is you'll have a smaller sidewall with 17s...
Old 03-24-2010   #7  
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

16s or 17s are good.
HLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #8  
Registered!!

so has nothing to do with height or clearance. What is more sexy; less tire and more rim or less rim and more tire? that sounds like a stupid question, but i'm not shy.

im looking at Enkei FD-05 16 X 7 machined/gun metal on either silver or black car. can't decide

opinions?
Old 03-24-2010   #9  
the best kind of lovin is from the oven!

ProjectMayhemR will become famous soon enough

I've had 17s for 3 years now and I think they fit the car the best compared to 16s and 18s. Remember that brake effectiveness drops as the wheel weight increases over stock, not necessarily the size. Those wheels work much better than the Lexani ones you were looking at before.
ProjectMayhemR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #10  
Administrator

lol.. my 17" buddy clubs are lighter than those stock 15" steelies..
Old 03-25-2010   #11  
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl0ggy06 View Post
so has nothing to do with height or clearance. What is more sexy; less tire and more rim or less rim and more tire? that sounds like a stupid question, but i'm not shy.
Eh... not really.. With a smaller sidewall, you're gonna have a slightly rougher ride due to the fact that the sidewall is gonna be a bit stiffer..

But seeing as how we're dealing with ~.5" difference in sidewall height, it's fairly negligible.. (assuming a 16" rim would have a 215/50-16 tire and the 17" rim would have a 215/45-17 tire)

I use those specific tire sizes because that's the respective tire sizes that'll give you the closest diameter to an OEM rim (assuing 185/65-15 for stock) and mess with your speedometer the least (215/45-17 makes your speedometer 0.6% slow, the 215/50-16 doesn't mess with your speedometer)

In the case you don't know how to read the tire sizes, 215 is the tire width in mm, the /XX number is the height of the sidewall, as a percentage of the width, then followed by a -XX, which is the rim diameter.. Not trying to be condescending, just sharing useful knowledge
Old 03-25-2010   #12  
Registered!!

not condesending at all. whats the R, Z, ZR for? So for those wheels, the Enkei FD-05's, what tire would u suggest? not size, brand. I'm in FL, so I'm concerned with ride as well as traction in the rain and wear in the heat n humidity.
Old 03-25-2010   #13  
Registered!!

sureshot1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have 17s on my civic check out my pics 17s ride rough with a lowerd car even if you have a beefed up suspesion brakeing you can tell a big difference then the stock wheels just remeber if you lower it and put in a faster engine you are going to have to upgrade to bigger brakes even with 17s or even 15s for that matter
sureshot1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #14  
Registered!!

how heavy are the stock 15's
Old 03-25-2010   #15  
Registered!!

Erikwithak86 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 17" speedy wheels lite-5's and they weigh 15 pounds. You could probably google how much the stock steelies are but my new ***** are waaaaay lighter.
Erikwithak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #16  
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe my stock SI's weigh about 17-18lbs.
Old 03-25-2010   #17  
Administrator

I think the stock 15" steelies are something like 20 pounds or so. I weighed my 17" buddy clubs on a bathroom scale before I mounted the tires and they came out to 17.5 lbs

the R (as in 45R17?) means its a radial tire construction.. That's also followed by a number/letter combo like 91W or something.. the 91 is the load rating and the W is the speed rating.

Here's where I learned about reading tire sizes and whatnot
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...VLINT|pc|89129
Old 03-25-2010   #18  
Registered!!

hindude will become famous soon enough

xRiCeBoYx, thanks for the tire info. +rep
hindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #19  
Registered!!

onedr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx View Post
Eh... not really.. With a smaller sidewall, you're gonna have a slightly rougher ride due to the fact that the sidewall is gonna be a bit stiffer..

But seeing as how we're dealing with ~.5" difference in sidewall height, it's fairly negligible.. (assuming a 16" rim would have a 215/50-16 tire and the 17" rim would have a 215/45-17 tire)

I use those specific tire sizes because that's the respective tire sizes that'll give you the closest diameter to an OEM rim (assuing 185/65-15 for stock) and mess with your speedometer the least (215/45-17 makes your speedometer 0.6% slow, the 215/50-16 doesn't mess with your speedometer)

In the case you don't know how to read the tire sizes, 215 is the tire width in mm, the /XX number is the height of the sidewall, as a percentage of the width, then followed by a -XX, which is the rim diameter.. Not trying to be condescending, just sharing useful knowledge
i've been wonderin the same question. i've had my eyes on the Enkei RZ-5 and on tirerack.com it recommends 205/45-17. would a 10mm difference be that bad at all?
onedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010   #20  
Administrator

I'm sure you'll be fine. My Buddy Club P1 Racing SF's are 17x7 as well, and (technically) the 215 width (8.46") is 1.5" wider than the rim (7"). I've had 215/45-17 Nitto NeoGen's on my rims up until I had to get some all season Yokohama's for a freak winter I had in WA..
Old 04-07-2010   #21  
Registered!!

So I went with 205x55 R16 Firehawk GT's mainly for wet/dry traction. Should I go to 215X50 16? Is that is meant by a low profile tire? When we brought the car in to have the rims put on, I told them low profile, high proformance with good wet traction.
Old 04-07-2010   #22  
Registered!!

55's will be fine and give u a better ride.