Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

My car got an IQ boost....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
My car got an IQ boost....

So yeah... I'm back. Never really left actually, just really busy... The car has been on jack stands in my garage since August 28th. In that time, I didnt get done as much as you think I could have. Got real busy with school, and scheduling, but I had a friend build me a new turbo back.... and played a little with the electronics.
This is now the... ummm 4th exhaust I think? No, wait, 5th... and the first one since the RSR that I'm happy with the fit. I havent been able to play too much since.... 1. the car isnt retuned, and 2. the registration expired. Gonna take care of both of those, not necessarily in that order, but I needed the exhaust to pass emissions.
So... onto the fun.... How the hell do you fit a 3" downpipe in there with the shitty placed HKS manifold? Well.... apparently you take a 2.25" bend, split it down the side, weld it to a 3" oval to round converter and then twist it so it clears the alternator. I didnt get a real good picture of it, but its ridiculous. You know its good when it takes 3 tries to make it work.

The rest is more or less straight forward.... 3" through a highflow cat, then reduced down to 2.5" the rest of the way... for ground clearance more than anything... I dont forsee having an issue.... the turbine's exducer is like 2", there's plenty of room to move the air. I just hope I dont hit anything....

We shoved the muffler up as high as we could get it, so I had lots of room above the control arm and sway bar.... I got my lots of room...

... and this is all you see from behind....

It looks like a retarded version of the stock sedan exhaust

And the real fun part.... is whats at the other end of that blue plug

I have no idea what Edwin did, he rigged some circuit under my dash and rewired the ECU harness, reversed connector plugs under the hood and added wires... I've got a fully functioning Honda wideband. Paul rewrote my Kpro map... and voila... I've got AFR targeting on the Kpro now
I dont remember when it last ran this well.
I'm almost looking forward to driving it again.... I was getting sick of dealing with it, but taking a few months off then firing it up again (well, jump starting it) may have helped... gonna have it retuned for all its worth and have finally have fun with it.
Old 12-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iwillbetrue will become famous soon enough
Re: My car got an IQ boost....

Yeah your right, the exhaust at the end does look a bit retarded, but the whole fab work looks great.
Old 12-20-2008
Registered!!

katzenjammer84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmm, more flow
Old 12-21-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

O2 For The Win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 12-21-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

^OEM WIDEBAND O2 FTW.

I'll be making a DIY for those with Kpro that would like to add a factory wideband to their stock wiring. Look for it in the next few days.
Old 12-21-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice edwin I will be looking forward to that thread
Old 12-22-2008
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

Good job man! great to have you post again as well.
Old 12-22-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

looks very clean
Old 12-22-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Where's the damn write-up?! Now that I've got Andy's old kpro in my grubby mitts, I want to see how you wired things up, Edwin.

But yeah 3" FTW Justin. This all you see out of mine as well. V-bands throughout, no cat, and just a glasspack. It actually sounds decent.

Old 12-23-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa! Lookin good dude.

Did you say at one time that you wanted to do pie cuts for the exhaust or something?
Old 12-23-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Edwin or Justin, does this essentially mean you can drive a boosted civic in CLOSED LOOP without tuning problems.
Old 12-23-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Edwin or Justin, does this essentially mean you can drive a boosted civic in CLOSED LOOP without tuning problems.

Thats exactly what it means.

Passed emissions this morning... its almost like an early christmas gift.
Old 12-23-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by Eyger
Whoa! Lookin good dude.

Did you say at one time that you wanted to do pie cuts for the exhaust or something?
Yeah. the original plan was to pie cut the first bend, but i couldnt get the pies tight enough to convert the oval flange to round pipe and clear the alternator. So we wound up leaving it as an oval for the first foot, and twisting it around so it cleared.
Old 12-23-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Thats awesome, closed loop boostin...I can't wait. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a car on jackstands for months

I have the rufus's hondata, cam gear, & his wideband stock honda 02 sensor. Woohoo, just need the write up and a tune.

So my question is...will the car drive in vac & boost under any load perfectly fine without a tune? Since you do infact have a way for the computer to sense afrs and adjust on the fly. So basically wouldn't a tune just be like an open loop cold run map on a stock car? The computer will constantly be changing fuel trim based on a wideband 02 so you really wouldn't need a tune? I would imagine maybe just a WOT map? I'm curious to know, maybe I can go this route and drive my car to the tuner rather than tow 2 hrs...or not to the tuner at all?
Old 12-23-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion

Um... I wouldnt consider this a substitute for a tune. Its not perfection, and remember its a reaction system. It cant do anything until it picks up a problem.
You need to tune the car. The tune gives the car something to shoot for, the O2 sensor just tries to hit it. It can trim and adjust the parameters to get what it wants, but if you give it a bad map to target, its not gonna work at all.
You can certainly cruise to a tuner on a basemap, but you definitely need to get the car tuned.
Tuning Kpro isnt like tuning a piggyback where all you're really doing is giving the piggyback an open loop to run at. Kpro runs everything, and you need to give it every number, from Idle to WOT.
Old 12-23-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

I had a feeling this was the case but thought I'd check. Looks like I'll still be towing. Thanks.
This will now enable us to use the lean cut protection feature I'm assuming. I really like the idea of the feature....especially since witnessing a few lean hiccups on piggyback.

Last edited by FoSho; 12-23-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2008

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

The cold weather has delayed my write up folks. Sorry, but even in our shop it's in the 20's. I'll get to it really soon, since my car is up for emissions inspection too.
Old 12-24-2008
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice

i want kpro....for my auto
Old 12-24-2008

Originally Posted by skipbarber
The cold weather has delayed my write up folks. Sorry, but even in our shop it's in the 20's. I'll get to it really soon, since my car is up for emissions inspection too.
Weak sosa. Is your computer outside or something Edwin? Dictate it to Andy and have him type it. He's not doing anything worthwhile since he bought that Accord.
Old 12-24-2008

FYI on the emissions bit, you can pass with it in closed loop, with OBD2 enabled. Just tell kpro to fake your readiness codes.
Old 12-24-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

great job as always
Old 12-24-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Sucks I sold that cam I should have just gotten kpro but this wasn't feasible at the time. Great work gentlemen.
Old 12-24-2008
Registered!!

you will be able to use lean protection with k-pro now, but the lean protection does not really work that well and is not really worth it.
Old 12-26-2008

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Weak sosa. Is your computer outside or something Edwin? Dictate it to Andy and have him type it. He's not doing anything worthwhile since he bought that Accord.
i was going to snap pictures while i was wiring my car up.
Old 01-20-2009

here you go folks. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ml#post4381366