Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Front tow hook?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008
RHCP0801 is my hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute
Front tow hook?

Any one have a front tow hook installed?

I got a benen one and I dont think I can mount it anywhere safe. Any suggestions?
Old 03-21-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front tow hook?

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking you would have to bolt it to the front steel bumper re-enforcement bar. Which would probably require cutting a hole in the bumper one way or another. I've seen this one S15 that had the tow hook sticking straight up out of the hood like off on the side where the strut towers are. No idea other then those. You should just duct tape it to the front grille.......heh jk.
Old 03-21-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

our civics arent made for it.....either are most cars on the road...

the reason for a front tow hook is for towtrucks to safely tow ur car off a racetrack if ever needed...

if u put it on, its just gonna be for looks...not actual practicality
Old 03-21-2008
Registered!!

cinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nice

i thought benen tow hooks just bolt up to the original tow hook
Old 03-21-2008
RHCP0801 is my hero

1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute1sykcivic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
our civics arent made for it.....either are most cars on the road...

the reason for a front tow hook is for towtrucks to safely tow ur car off a racetrack if ever needed...

if u put it on, its just gonna be for looks...not actual practicality
it is for looks like everything else on the outside of the car. I already have it so HAS TO GO ON lol

Originally Posted by cinaibur
i thought benen tow hooks just bolt up to the original tow hook
only for the rear

Originally Posted by Eyger
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking you would have to bolt it to the front steel bumper re-enforcement bar. Which would probably require cutting a hole in the bumper one way or another. I've seen this one S15 that had the tow hook sticking straight up out of the hood like off on the side where the strut towers are. No idea other then those. You should just duct tape it to the front grille.......heh jk.
lol, i dont want to cut into my bumper. Only thing i can think of is finding 2 long bolts so it comes out of my lower grill
Old 03-21-2008
Registered!!

rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough

ricer.. jks

and for the one who said about drilling through the rebar, good luck, they are usually made from ultra high strength steel, you'll be going through at least 5 drill bits to get a hole
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

chkolny will become famous soon enoughchkolny will become famous soon enough

rrrriiicccerrrrrr

Last edited by chkolny; 03-22-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

^^ you just jealous you dont got a front tow hook. i am. lol.. tow hooks look bad ***
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

SEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of lightSEN_ONE is a glorious beacon of light

They are for more than just looks. If your car is lowered or you have a low hanging lip, and you have to get it pulled up onto a flatbed tow truck, the angle of the cable would be too steep. You could run the risk of ripping off your bumper cover, lip, fogs, ect... I have the 05-06 A-Spec lip kit on my Type S, and the instructions tell you to remove the whole bumper cover when getting it pulled up onto to the truck. If you get one, try to find the style that lets you place it pointing down when not in use. I think it looks better.
Old 03-22-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Your cars don't have tow hooks? Mine does. It's behind the bumper, I saw it a few days ago when I was under the car looking for a jack point.
Old 03-22-2008
I'll flip out and kill people.

modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned

Originally Posted by rice4lyfe
ricer.. jks

and for the one who said about drilling through the rebar, good luck, they are usually made from ultra high strength steel, you'll be going through at least 5 drill bits to get a hole
not really. it's not "ultra high strength steel", in fact it's probably a bad place to mount it anyways, as you could risk serious damage to the front end of your car, i'd only imagine. but anywho, i drilled through that thing using a standard bit designed for metal (about $15 from home depot) when i mounted the ballasts for my hid's. but i'd recommend not putting it there. and, like dex, i too have a tow hook on the front of my car.....
Old 03-22-2008
Registered!!

roll_outz is an unknown quantity at this point

It should be way under your frontbumper cover. ASk kiril(MAZDAKIRIL) He got tow hook on his 7th gen. tow hook Is not only for looks its give you lil clearance for those people who park in front or behind your car.
Old 03-22-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chkolny
rrrriiicccerrrrrr

QFT.

That's as bad as race graphics on a street car.

Why don't you install some neons while you're at it?
Old 03-23-2008
RHCP0801 is my hero

Originally Posted by Unevolved
QFT.

That's as bad as race graphics on a street car.

Why don't you install some neons while you're at it?

ok wise guy

ill keep my comments to myself
Old 03-23-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Am I wrong? You said it's going to be for looks only.
Old 03-23-2008
Registered!!

mazdakiril is an unknown quantity at this point

hey i got the rear tow hook but not the front, there was a guy on here that had a front one but cant remember his name.
let me get this straight tow hook = ricers, if thats the case you guys are more lost then president Bush.
Old 03-23-2008

Originally Posted by mazdakiril
let me get this straight tow hook = ricers, if thats the case you guys are more lost then president Bush.
No. You're absolutely wrong. Tow hooks are legit, and make a track car look badass.

But when they're purely for cosmetic reasons, well... It's like fake mud on a 4x4. Just plain wrong. It's very literally a poseur: "a person (or car, in this case) who habitually pretends to be something he (or it) is not."

Like it or not, if you put a fake towhook on your car, you are a poseur by definition. It's not a matter of opinion or looks at that point.
Old 03-23-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Come on, it's no worse than putting carbon fiber on a car that doesn't see the track. I feel the same way as you with the tow hook but no need to call him names. Just tell him nicely it's dumb and he'll be embarrassed when other knowledgeable people try to talk to him about it......
Old 03-23-2008

Originally Posted by DeX
Just tell him nicely it's dumb and he'll be embarrassed when other knowledgeable people try to talk to him about it......
OK, I think that'll be fine. Maybe we should just let him get laughed at hardcore by guys with real track cars.

To the OP:

Good idea. Go for it.

Old 03-23-2008
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

You'll find a lot of track cars not using those metal hooks. Most use cables or canvas straps, because they're flexible and dont jam into things, not to mention if they're not sticking out, you dont slam your shins on them.
those benen type things are more or less a looks item, you dont see many of them on the cars at the track.
Old 03-25-2008
Registered!!

mazdakiril is an unknown quantity at this point

well then i dont know what to say other then i'm only for looks, have the tow hook and the carbon fiber, I dont have any intrest to take my car to the track as a matter of fact i dont even take my car past 125 km/h and dont take my rpm past 3600rpms,
I dont think you guys should be judging people on the fact that their cars arnt track car.
Old 03-25-2008

Originally Posted by mazdakiril
well then i dont know what to say other then i'm only for looks, have the tow hook and the carbon fiber, I dont have any intrest to take my car to the track as a matter of fact i dont even take my car past 125 km/h and dont take my rpm past 3600rpms,
I dont think you guys should be judging people on the fact that their cars arnt track car.
I would say, by definition, you're a poseur. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a simple fact. You can choose to be offended or not, it's up to you. Just with the way you built your car, that's the category you fall into.

Not to inject politics into this, but if you're not even from America, why are you comparing me to my President?
Old 03-25-2008
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice

I feel stupid for reading this entire thing thinking that somewhere in this mess there might be a real answer or solution to a front tow hook but instead its mostly flaming. The only person that put anything legit in here was Boilermaker. Anyone have a solution to the front tow hook?
Old 03-25-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

i asked a guy at a car show with one on his 7th gen...

you have to drill a hole or two through the metal bumper support
Old 03-25-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

In my attempt to contribute for anyone asking in relation to legitimate track purposes, are you looking to install the hook in the OEM place behind the bumper or to have it sticking out through the bumper?
Old 03-25-2008
Registered!!

cinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nice

another thread lost to bs bickering
Old 03-25-2008

Originally Posted by cinaibur
another thread lost to bs bickering
This is true. It seems this is a well-known effect known as "ImportPassionism." When there is a lack of material substance or intellectual stimulation on any given website, bickering and off-topic responses begin to fill that void. It's a fact of nature.
Old 03-25-2008
Registered!!

all i'm saying is that he asked how/where to mount it and it turned into another who's the biggest ricer pissing contest. this website is here for people to ask questions and for knowledgeable answers to those questions. if he wanted to know what you thought about his tow hook, he would have asked, and probably before he decided to buy it
Old 03-25-2008

But if he didn't want people's opinions, why would he post it on an open board on the internet? Surely he's not that stupid, that he didn't realize his question was very truly "open to the public."
Old 03-25-2008
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice

Unevolved dude take this **** somewhere else and lets keep this on topic. Front tow hook anyone? Answers only, opinions are like *******s, everyone has one.

Quick Reply: Front tow hook?