Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Front tow hook? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/305759-front-tow-hook.html)

1sykcivic 03-21-2008 06:29 PM

Front tow hook?

Any one have a front tow hook installed?

I got a benen one and I dont think I can mount it anywhere safe. Any suggestions?

Eyger 03-21-2008 06:44 PM

Re: Front tow hook?

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking you would have to bolt it to the front steel bumper re-enforcement bar. Which would probably require cutting a hole in the bumper one way or another. I've seen this one S15 that had the tow hook sticking straight up out of the hood like off on the side where the strut towers are. No idea other then those. You should just duct tape it to the front grille.......heh jk.

sl33pyriceboi 03-21-2008 06:49 PM

our civics arent made for it.....either are most cars on the road...

the reason for a front tow hook is for towtrucks to safely tow ur car off a racetrack if ever needed...

if u put it on, its just gonna be for looks...not actual practicality

cinaibur 03-21-2008 06:49 PM

i thought benen tow hooks just bolt up to the original tow hook

1sykcivic 03-21-2008 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4299892)
our civics arent made for it.....either are most cars on the road...

the reason for a front tow hook is for towtrucks to safely tow ur car off a racetrack if ever needed...

if u put it on, its just gonna be for looks...not actual practicality

it is for looks like everything else on the outside of the car. I already have it so HAS TO GO ON lol

Originally Posted by cinaibur (Post 4299893)
i thought benen tow hooks just bolt up to the original tow hook

only for the rear

Originally Posted by Eyger (Post 4299825)
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking you would have to bolt it to the front steel bumper re-enforcement bar. Which would probably require cutting a hole in the bumper one way or another. I've seen this one S15 that had the tow hook sticking straight up out of the hood like off on the side where the strut towers are. No idea other then those. You should just duct tape it to the front grille.......heh jk.

lol, i dont want to cut into my bumper. Only thing i can think of is finding 2 long bolts so it comes out of my lower grill

rice4lyfe 03-21-2008 11:56 PM

ricer.. jks

and for the one who said about drilling through the rebar, good luck, they are usually made from ultra high strength steel, you'll be going through at least 5 drill bits to get a hole

chkolny 03-22-2008 02:32 AM

rrrriiicccerrrrrr

civicsrcool 03-22-2008 04:42 AM

^^ you just jealous you dont got a front tow hook. i am. lol.. tow hooks look bad ass

SEN_ONE 03-22-2008 08:56 AM

They are for more than just looks. If your car is lowered or you have a low hanging lip, and you have to get it pulled up onto a flatbed tow truck, the angle of the cable would be too steep. You could run the risk of ripping off your bumper cover, lip, fogs, ect... I have the 05-06 A-Spec lip kit on my Type S, and the instructions tell you to remove the whole bumper cover when getting it pulled up onto to the truck. If you get one, try to find the style that lets you place it pointing down when not in use. I think it looks better.

DeX 03-22-2008 12:14 PM

Your cars don't have tow hooks? Mine does. It's behind the bumper, I saw it a few days ago when I was under the car looking for a jack point.

modoman 03-22-2008 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by rice4lyfe (Post 4299979)
ricer.. jks

and for the one who said about drilling through the rebar, good luck, they are usually made from ultra high strength steel, you'll be going through at least 5 drill bits to get a hole

not really. it's not "ultra high strength steel", in fact it's probably a bad place to mount it anyways, as you could risk serious damage to the front end of your car, i'd only imagine. but anywho, i drilled through that thing using a standard bit designed for metal (about $15 from home depot) when i mounted the ballasts for my hid's. but i'd recommend not putting it there. and, like dex, i too have a tow hook on the front of my car.....

roll_outz 03-22-2008 02:20 PM

It should be way under your frontbumper cover. ASk kiril(MAZDAKIRIL) He got tow hook on his 7th gen. tow hook Is not only for looks its give you lil clearance for those people who park in front or behind your car.

Unevolved 03-22-2008 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by chkolny (Post 4300005)
rrrriiicccerrrrrr

QFT.

That's as bad as race graphics on a street car.

Why don't you install some neons while you're at it?

1sykcivic 03-23-2008 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Unevolved (Post 4300228)
QFT.

That's as bad as race graphics on a street car.

Why don't you install some neons while you're at it?

ok wise guy

ill keep my comments to myself

Unevolved 03-23-2008 07:48 AM

Am I wrong? You said it's going to be for looks only.

mazdakiril 03-23-2008 09:25 AM

hey i got the rear tow hook but not the front, there was a guy on here that had a front one but cant remember his name.
let me get this straight tow hook = ricers, if thats the case you guys are more lost then president Bush.

Unevolved 03-23-2008 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by mazdakiril (Post 4300321)
let me get this straight tow hook = ricers, if thats the case you guys are more lost then president Bush.

No. You're absolutely wrong. Tow hooks are legit, and make a track car look badass.

But when they're purely for cosmetic reasons, well... It's like fake mud on a 4x4. Just plain wrong. It's very literally a poseur: "a person (or car, in this case) who habitually pretends to be something he (or it) is not."

Like it or not, if you put a fake towhook on your car, you are a poseur by definition. It's not a matter of opinion or looks at that point.

DeX 03-23-2008 09:43 PM

Come on, it's no worse than putting carbon fiber on a car that doesn't see the track. I feel the same way as you with the tow hook but no need to call him names. Just tell him nicely it's dumb and he'll be embarrassed when other knowledgeable people try to talk to him about it......:giggle:

Unevolved 03-23-2008 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by DeX (Post 4300517)
Just tell him nicely it's dumb and he'll be embarrassed when other knowledgeable people try to talk to him about it......:giggle:

OK, I think that'll be fine. Maybe we should just let him get laughed at hardcore by guys with real track cars.

To the OP:

Good idea. Go for it. :tup:

:giggle:

Boilermaker1 03-23-2008 09:57 PM

You'll find a lot of track cars not using those metal hooks. Most use cables or canvas straps, because they're flexible and dont jam into things, not to mention if they're not sticking out, you dont slam your shins on them.
those benen type things are more or less a looks item, you dont see many of them on the cars at the track.

mazdakiril 03-25-2008 10:29 AM

well then i dont know what to say other then i'm only for looks, have the tow hook and the carbon fiber, I dont have any intrest to take my car to the track as a matter of fact i dont even take my car past 125 km/h and dont take my rpm past 3600rpms,
I dont think you guys should be judging people on the fact that their cars arnt track car.

Unevolved 03-25-2008 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mazdakiril (Post 4301151)
well then i dont know what to say other then i'm only for looks, have the tow hook and the carbon fiber, I dont have any intrest to take my car to the track as a matter of fact i dont even take my car past 125 km/h and dont take my rpm past 3600rpms,
I dont think you guys should be judging people on the fact that their cars arnt track car.

I would say, by definition, you're a poseur. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a simple fact. You can choose to be offended or not, it's up to you. Just with the way you built your car, that's the category you fall into.

Not to inject politics into this, but if you're not even from America, why are you comparing me to my President?

PitchBlack 03-25-2008 10:52 AM

I feel stupid for reading this entire thing thinking that somewhere in this mess there might be a real answer or solution to a front tow hook but instead its mostly flaming. The only person that put anything legit in here was Boilermaker. Anyone have a solution to the front tow hook?

02BLKCIVIC 03-25-2008 11:05 AM

i asked a guy at a car show with one on his 7th gen...

you have to drill a hole or two through the metal bumper support

DeX 03-25-2008 11:16 AM

In my attempt to contribute for anyone asking in relation to legitimate track purposes, are you looking to install the hook in the OEM place behind the bumper or to have it sticking out through the bumper?

cinaibur 03-25-2008 11:17 AM

another thread lost to bs bickering

Unevolved 03-25-2008 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cinaibur (Post 4301174)
another thread lost to bs bickering

This is true. It seems this is a well-known effect known as "ImportPassionism." When there is a lack of material substance or intellectual stimulation on any given website, bickering and off-topic responses begin to fill that void. It's a fact of nature.

cinaibur 03-25-2008 02:30 PM

all i'm saying is that he asked how/where to mount it and it turned into another who's the biggest ricer pissing contest. this website is here for people to ask questions and for knowledgeable answers to those questions. if he wanted to know what you thought about his tow hook, he would have asked, and probably before he decided to buy it

Unevolved 03-25-2008 03:20 PM

But if he didn't want people's opinions, why would he post it on an open board on the internet? Surely he's not that stupid, that he didn't realize his question was very truly "open to the public."

PitchBlack 03-25-2008 03:24 PM

Unevolved dude take this shit somewhere else and lets keep this on topic. Front tow hook anyone? Answers only, opinions are like *******s, everyone has one.