Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Updating my carPC

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
justinwebb will become famous soon enough
Updating my carPC

so i was bored recently waiting on all my goodies i ordered to come in so i decided to update the carputer...some of you older members remember my last one ....custom molded a touchscreen monitor into the double din spot to make it look completely stock...then fabbed up an entire pc to fit inside a cd changer case i have about 10,000 songs on it and about 3,000 music videos it has WIFI and GPS and will do pretty much anything a regular PC will do...it worked ok but there is always room for improvement......

the old setup

this time around got a new faster motherboard, better RAM, and a much better power supply and i am trying to fit things in the small case a little differently

here is the beginnings of it but its still a work in progress still gotta mount the hard drive and run some wires

threw the front plate on

the back of the pc and a shot of the fan setup with one blowing in and one as an exhaust

all that is left is to mount the hard drive which is tough to do so it cant move at all then mount it in the trunk and she is ready to go again
Old 07-23-2007
Registered!!

ssgmolina is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Updating my carPC

this might be a dumb question!!!! but y do u still need a radio in the car if your runnin a carputer
Old 07-24-2007
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point

that's some nice setup, may i ask where you get your parts from
Old 07-24-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ssgmolina
this might be a dumb question!!!! but y do u still need a radio in the car if your runnin a carputer
didnt feel like messign with all the wires trying to just hook the mdirectly to the pc..so i just used the AUX in much much easier and if for some reason i wanted t olisten to the radio its there since i dont always have the PC in there
Old 07-24-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

just wondering how that thing has gps? did you have to install some special hardware? do you need to always be near a wireless internet connection, or can you go drive in the middle of a field and still know where you are?
Old 07-24-2007
Registered!!

i got a usb GPS reciever and it connects directly to the satellite so anywhere in the US i will always know where i am at lol it also does a cool map on the cheapest gas stations and stuff like that so it comes in handy
Old 07-24-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

now thats cool..
Old 07-24-2007
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by justinwebb
i got a usb GPS reciever and it connects directly to the satellite so anywhere in the US i will always know where i am at lol it also does a cool map on the cheapest gas stations and stuff like that so it comes in handy
do you have a link or a name for this receiver?
Old 07-24-2007
Registered!!

ssgmolina is an unknown quantity at this point

what software r u using??? hey sorry i hope i didnt come out sounding like an *******.. u have a nice setup.. i took out my receiver and running eberything straight from the carputer and as far as my software im using eighter google maps(u have to pay a monthly fee but keeps u updated on traffic) or street maps
Old 07-24-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by armieo
do you have a link or a name for this receiver?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Holux-GR-213-USB...QQcmdZViewItem

thats one of the top and best out there...
Old 07-25-2007
< My future wife.

+rep! Damn so cheap for such a neat gizmo. Can it also tell which way your car is pointing?
Old 07-25-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I have the Holux 213 as well. Why didn't you go with a Mini-ITX board and a DC-DC power supply? Would have been much cleaner.
Old 07-27-2007
Registered!!

it is an mini itx its a VIA EPIA EX and also the power supply is DC to DC its an opus 150....lol
Old 07-27-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

My bad, that PSU looked like a DC-AC but I was wrong!
Old 07-27-2007
Registered!!

vacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by armieo
+rep! Damn so cheap for such a neat gizmo. Can it also tell which way your car is pointing?
it tells by which direction it is going, yes.

i have a similar setup, i'm also using roadrunner w/iguidance

nice setup dude, my screen just died, i'm probably going to buy the transflective one from mp3car.com

http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_TRANS..._p/mon-010.htm
Old 07-27-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Might as well show mine.

Old 07-27-2007
Registered!!

vacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the rough

how do you adjust your brightness? did you relocate the remote control sensor?
Old 07-27-2007
Registered!!

Derwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeX
Might as well show mine.

This is going to be so of topic it hurts, but I love your door pannels, and I can't find the DIY to save my life (i've searched... but I could just be a retard.)

Now back on topic- I'm in the process of building my PC. Just got my transflective off of the Classifieds on mp3car, just waiting to get all of my cables in from NewEgg and I should be good to go some time this fall....
Old 07-27-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by vacivic2005
how do you adjust your brightness? did you relocate the remote control sensor?
The remote sensor is in the fan shroud somewhere. All I know is if I point the remote at the fan it works. The cable is real long, it's just squat up inside the case by default.
Old 07-27-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by Derwood
This is going to be so of topic it hurts, but I love your door pannels, and I can't find the DIY to save my life (i've searched... but I could just be a retard.)

Now back on topic- I'm in the process of building my PC. Just got my transflective off of the Classifieds on mp3car, just waiting to get all of my cables in from NewEgg and I should be good to go some time this fall....
This makes me laugh because the guy who made the D.I.Y. threw a tantrum because I stole his idea and posted it on another site. The guy who made it is Triz or Trisz or something to that effect, try searching under his name. If you can't find that, I made my own at www.em2ab.com in the D.I.Y. section.
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

antonnius is an unknown quantity at this point

so i was bored recently waiting on all my goodies i ordered to come in so i decided to update the carputer...some of you older members remember my last one ....custom molded a touchscreen monitor into the double din spot to make it look completely stock...then fabbed up an entire pc to fit inside a cd changer case i have about 10,000 songs on it and about 3,000 music videos it has WIFI and GPS and will do pretty much anything a regular PC will do...it worked ok but there is always room for improvement......

the old setup

this time around got a new faster motherboard, better RAM, and a much better power supply and i am trying to fit things in the small case a little differently

here is the beginnings of it but its still a work in progress still gotta mount the hard drive and run some wires

threw the front plate on

the back of the pc and a shot of the fan setup with one blowing in and one as an exhaust

all that is left is to mount the hard drive which is tough to do so it cant move at all then mount it in the trunk and she is ready to go again
hey hi bro ! ya i`m new here and saw ur posting , this is interesting ...can this be DIY?
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

2k1_Toaster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by antonnius
hey hi bro ! ya i`m new here and saw ur posting , this is interesting ...can this be DIY?
There are plenty of DIY and FAQ's for CarPC's over at mp3car.com with some very interesting setups.
Old 07-28-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by 2k1_Toaster
There are plenty of DIY and FAQ's for CarPC's over at mp3car.com with some very interesting setups.
Toast, you're everywhere! It's Maheriano.
I wouldn't say there's D.I.Y. at mp3car.com, moreso just piles of information for you to put together yourself. I guess I could do up a vague D.I.Y. though, that'll give me something to do after supper.
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
Toast, you're everywhere! It's Maheriano.
I wouldn't say there's D.I.Y. at mp3car.com, moreso just piles of information for you to put together yourself. I guess I could do up a vague D.I.Y. though, that'll give me something to do after supper.
I figured it was you. I saw that thread about your air bag suspension. Sucks, but at least the Fusion will help.
Old 07-28-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Ask and you shall receive young grasshopper.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ml#post4221220
Old 07-29-2007
Registered!!

antonnius is an unknown quantity at this point

so bro what is the software that run the programs?
Old 07-29-2007
Registered!!

so bro what is the software that run the programs?
RoadRunner. A free frontend.
Old 08-04-2007
Registered!!

frodoplayer is what i use RR is flash and can be a system hog at times
Old 08-04-2007
Registered!!

frodoplayer is what i use RR is flash and can be a system hog at times
This is wrong. RoadRunner is coded in VB not Flash. RoadRunner and FrodoPlayer can both embed flash into their skins. The programs themselves are 100% flash free.

So in both programs you can make a skin with no flash in it, or you can make a skin that is all flash. It is up to you and fully customizeable.

But just to clarify, RR is not a resource hog due to flash. It does however take more resources because it is so popular that many features (some consider it bloat) is added. I used to run it on a Via M10000 embedded cpu board, and it ran perfectly (even with the default skin that has flash spinning logos).